LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-17 | 06:26 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's not a new phenomenon. My dad was leasing cars 30 years ago.
While perhaps not a new phenomenon, I doubt the percentages are as high as they are now. Regardless, given how many choose to lease, I still think the point I made still applies.
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (01-25-17)
Old 01-25-17 | 07:05 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Junglequac
While perhaps not a new phenomenon, I doubt the percentages are as high as they are now. Regardless, given how many choose to lease, I still think the point I made still applies.
They've always been very high for luxury cars as long as I can remember.
Old 01-25-17 | 10:33 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It will be LWB only.

I think you overestimate how price conscious people in this segment actually are. It's an all new car, it's thoroughly modern, really nice inside. I'm sure it will be great to drive, people will buy them. Lexus and particularly LS owners have a lot of brand and model loyalty.
Maybe I am overestimating the impact of price, but usually when people spend a lot of money, they want it to look like they spent a lot of money. The Lexus LS brand just doesn't have the same snob appeal of the S Class or 7 Series. If offered the S Class of the LS for the same money, I find it hard to believe that the vast majority wouldn't pick the S Class. I certainly would.
The following users liked this post:
aypues (01-25-17)
Old 01-25-17 | 10:45 AM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

i sold the 2013 LS to make room for this one... 2018 is going on sale in the last quarter of this year. my only nit pick is the stalks/***** above the cluster. the rear quarter panel on back look avalon, camry or even infinity... that said i will purchase white as usual, unless they have a dark shade of blue... DSM maybe.
Old 01-25-17 | 10:58 AM
GS3Tek

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i sold the 2013 LS to make room for this one... 2018 is going on sale in the last quarter of this year. my only nit pick is the stalks/***** above the cluster. the rear quarter panel on back look avalon, camry or even infinity... that said i will purchase white as usual, unless they have a dark shade of blue... DSM maybe.
Early congratulations to you.

When the first LS460 came out in 07, everyone said it looks like the E65 7 series. My brother in law had one at the time and I took it with me for an early glimpse of the LS at the toyota museum to compare it..........they look NOTHING alike (except maybe the "bangle butt"-the crease from the trunk).
Old 01-25-17 | 10:59 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bob04
Maybe I am overestimating the impact of price, but usually when people spend a lot of money, they want it to look like they spent a lot of money. The Lexus LS brand just doesn't have the same snob appeal of the S Class or 7 Series. If offered the S Class of the LS for the same money, I find it hard to believe that the vast majority wouldn't pick the S Class. I certainly would.

The S Class is simply the benchmark and it is utterly staggering the number of safety and luxury innovations that first saw the light of day from this series. That said, the W220 era (98-2006) really did a huge amount of damage to the perception of solidity and reliability and I truly feel for those who spent often six figures to only see both stratospheric depreciation and or exceedingly high running costs.

That said, since the de-Chryslerification, MB really has been doing well. Especially the stuff made in Germany. I do think the stuff made in Alabama is not quite there and my mother's 2014 ML has been a disaster. Worse still, she even owned a first gen ML430 that I thought would have been enough misery to turn her off the ML's.

If one had skipped over the W220 and say went from the iconic W140 to the vastly improved 2007-2013 W221, then I have almost zero doubt that there would not even be consideration of purchasing an LS or any other alternative for that matter.

That said, many did buy an S Class between 1998 and 2006 and many of them will neither forgive nor forget. This is not to say they were all lemons, but that era certainly has a stigma.
Old 01-25-17 | 11:35 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

I owned a '05 S class and it was constantly at the MB dealer for repairs and it was a (over $25K in warranty repairs) lemon. I owned a '90 MB SEL prior to it and it was almost trouble free. My LS 460L is the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Lexus is the definition of reliability compared to most vehicles I've owned.
Old 01-25-17 | 11:42 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by dlbuckls10
I owned a '05 S class and it was constantly at the MB dealer for repairs and it was a (over $25K in warranty repairs) lemon. I owned a '90 MB SEL prior to it and it was almost trouble free. My LS 460L is the best and most reliable vehicle I've ever owned. Lexus is the definition of reliability compared to most vehicles I've owned.
Truly sorry you had that many issues. For most of those with the means to purchase an S Class new in the first place, time truly is both money and precious. Not in anyway to imply that it is not for someone who has to struggle to meet the payments on a used Chevy Cobalt or whatnot. Just that when one spends the amount that an S Class costs, it is with the expectation of reliability, luxury, and safety.
Old 01-25-17 | 12:18 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

It's not going to be as expensive as the S Class
Old 01-25-17 | 12:31 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Junglequac
The S Class is simply the benchmark and it is utterly staggering the number of safety and luxury innovations that first saw the light of day from this series. That said, the W220 era (98-2006) really did a huge amount of damage to the perception of solidity and reliability and I truly feel for those who spent often six figures to only see both stratospheric depreciation and or exceedingly high running costs.

That said, since the de-Chryslerification, MB really has been doing well. Especially the stuff made in Germany. I do think the stuff made in Alabama is not quite there and my mother's 2014 ML has been a disaster. Worse still, she even owned a first gen ML430 that I thought would have been enough misery to turn her off the ML's.

If one had skipped over the W220 and say went from the iconic W140 to the vastly improved 2007-2013 W221, then I have almost zero doubt that there would not even be consideration of purchasing an LS or any other alternative for that matter.

That said, many did buy an S Class between 1998 and 2006 and many of them will neither forgive nor forget. This is not to say they were all lemons, but that era certainly has a stigma.
I can say without any hesitation my ML350 has been the worst reliable car I have ever owned. I could have leased a new one and been way ahead on dollars I lost on repairs and depreciation. Piece of crap, although its a nice driving car like the BMW's when they are running. The only reason I keep it is because you can't give one away and I have something to drive other than my LS460 in the snow since my wife doesn't give up her 4 Runner .

Last edited by Kennyr44; 01-25-17 at 12:38 PM.
Old 01-25-17 | 02:56 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I can say without any hesitation my ML350 has been the worst reliable car I have ever owned. I could have leased a new one and been way ahead on dollars I lost on repairs and depreciation. Piece of crap, although its a nice driving car like the BMW's when they are running. The only reason I keep it is because you can't give one away and I have something to drive other than my LS460 in the snow since my wife doesn't give up her 4 Runner .
Yep. I think my mother is actually at the Porsche dealer right now looking at Cayenne's. A few days back hers went into limp mode whilst merging onto the interstate and was almost crushed by the truck behind her. Will not consider an RX since my stepmother has owned every single generation of them....
Old 01-26-17 | 08:03 AM
rolloman
Rookie

I think the '18 LC blows the LS away. Styling, power (471hp V8), all of it...except the rear seats. I'm considering downsizing.
Old 01-26-17 | 08:11 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Going to be really different cars...
Old 01-26-17 | 08:59 AM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Awesome and looks like it moving standing still.
Old 01-26-17 | 09:20 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

If only Lexus offered a manual in the LC500... Given how hard Toyoda is trying to change both companies perceptions, it would seem to me a no brainer. While the uptake rate would be small, it would mean a great deal to many enthusiasts and the automotive press would go bonkers.

I do remain baffled as to why Lexus developed an all new V6TT for the LS500 as seemingly the (all but assured) only non hybrid option. While no doubt the engine will eventually be seen on down the line, to be introduced on a model that was exclusively V8 since 1989?

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!