LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 09:31 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Doesn't the LC have the paddle shifters? Not the same as stick shift, but close....
Old 01-26-17, 09:41 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Doesn't the LC have the paddle shifters? Not the same as stick shift, but close....
I am sure you are right and I am sure the 10 speed transmission will be outstanding. Moreover, I realize the RC is somewhat more of a GT than a full on sports car, but the opposite can certainly be argued.

As a huge fan of the LS, it is still hard to fathom the lovely 5 litre V8 not being in the LS350TT...nee LS500.
Old 01-26-17, 10:48 AM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Received 474 Likes on 313 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
If only Lexus offered a manual in the LC500... Given how hard Toyoda is trying to change both companies perceptions, it would seem to me a no brainer. While the uptake rate would be small, it would mean a great deal to many enthusiasts and the automotive press would go bonkers.

I do remain baffled as to why Lexus developed an all new V6TT for the LS500 as seemingly the (all but assured) only non hybrid option. While no doubt the engine will eventually be seen on down the line, to be introduced on a model that was exclusively V8 since 1989?

It is not 1989 anymore.
2018 is 29 years on.
Times change.
We are now living in the era of less than 2 children per child bearing woman.
We now have a boom in 2 bedroom small vertical high rise apartments.
A boom in small vertical crossovers/SUV's.
We are now living in the economy & emissions era, hence the small capacity turbos.

Lexus initially uses the real capacity 200t/350tt nomenclature for their entry level models, but later when they become mainstream, they will use the equivalent capacity nomenclature luke 300/500 etc.
Welcome to 2017.

Mainstream comes first.
Niche halo marketing V8 TT's come later.

Btw, these days gearboxes have so many gears and shift so quickly, the autos shift more quickly than the manuals.
F1 Racing only uses semi autos because fullly automatic was banned to increase competition in F1 Racing...

Lexus could spend a lot of $ developing V8 TT's on manual gearboxes first, but how many will buy that?
That's why niche sports car manufacturers like Ferrari is owned by Fiat, while Lamborghini is owned by VW Group, & Lotus owned by GM.
Likewise Rolls Royce is BMW owned, while Bentley is VW owned.
Thus by 2018, 5LS could go V8 TT on manual gearbox, but they'd go bust.

I'm not inferring that V6 TT is as smooth as V8, but I am saying that life is a compromise...

Last edited by peteharvey; 01-26-17 at 11:14 AM.
Old 01-26-17, 10:53 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by peteharvey
It is not 1989 anymore.
2018 is 29 years on.
Times change.
We are now living in the era of less than 2 children per child bearing woman.
We now have a boom in 2 bedroom small vertical high rise apartments.
A boom in small vertical crossovers/SUV's.
We are now living in the economy & emissions era, hence the small capacity turbos.
Lexus initially uses the 200t/350tt code for their entry level models, but later when they become mainstream, they will use the equivalent capacity nomenclature luke 300/500 etc.
Welcome to 2017.

Mainstream comes first.
Niche halo marketing V8 TT's come later.

Btw, these days gearboxes have so many gears and shift so quickly, the autos shift more quickly than the manuals.
F1 Racing only uses semi autos because fullly automatic was banned to increase competition in F1 Racing...
Thanks for the introduction. Don't think mainstream applies so much when talking about an $80,000 plus flagship, but get what you are saying. Likewise, I too have pointed out the proliferation of crossovers on this very thread in regards to the LS's prospects for success.

Also, well aware that automatics and especially DCT's are faster around a track and in instrumented testing. Still does not mean that many still prefer manuals and that on a car like the RC500 would be appropriate.
Old 01-26-17, 11:09 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Nice. I remember you mentioning you were in line for the refresh. The V6 gives me pause, so not sure what I'm going to do lease December 2018. Was planning on sliding into 2019 LS as well.

Glad we'll have a member who can give us the down low when it hits the showroom. Get the HUD sydtoosic!

Originally Posted by sydtoosic
i sold the 2013 LS to make room for this one... 2018 is going on sale in the last quarter of this year. my only nit pick is the stalks/***** above the cluster. the rear quarter panel on back look avalon, camry or even infinity... that said i will purchase white as usual, unless they have a dark shade of blue... DSM maybe.
Old 01-26-17, 12:37 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Rhambler
Nice. I remember you mentioning you were in line for the refresh. The V6 gives me pause, so not sure what I'm going to do lease December 2018. Was planning on sliding into 2019 LS as well.

Glad we'll have a member who can give us the down low when it hits the showroom. Get the HUD sydtoosic!
yes it's been a long time coming... but finally. i bought the 2013 first year out in 2012, with no probs at all. crossing my fingers on this. V6 with the twin turbo should be interesting to say the least. and yes, i will opt for the HUD. had the HUD in the GS 350 F Sport... always wondered why the flagship did not have that option.
Old 01-26-17, 12:40 PM
sydtoosic
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

it is somewhat close to the concept... concept was sexier but they came pretty close design wise. i like it. first thing will be to buy her new shoes and socks of course.
Old 01-26-17, 01:00 PM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looks awesome inside & out, however, Audi and MB has them beat.
Old 01-26-17, 01:17 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

yes it's been a long time coming... but finally. i bought the 2013 first year out in 2012, with no probs at all. crossing my fingers on this. V6 with the twin turbo should be interesting to say the least. and yes, i will opt for the HUD. had the HUD in the GS 350 F Sport... always wondered why the flagship did not have that option.
And now you will have the largest HUD of them all

Since you were an early buyer of the 4LS and now the 5LS, do you get any special treatment at your dealer? Are you, for example, privy to any special information? What's the expected release date? And insights into pricing, especially if you customize your car. It will be great to hear about your experience, and hopefully seeing tons of pics!
Old 01-26-17, 01:42 PM
russray
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had already deleted my account but after receiving email and reading posts about the 2018 LS (especially lack of V8) I just had to reup and post. I had owned a LS 430 Ultra Luxury that I bough new and drove for 13 years. Loved the car. I started shopping recently for a new on since I sold the LS to a neighbor. I had followed the Genesis G90 reviews and test drove the first one to arrive in Tulsa. I was very impressed with all of the features especially for the price. I went into the Lexus dealership with the intent of test driving a new 2017. They had no brochures. I asked about lane keep assist. Turned out you could only get it on the L and then had to buy luxury package, LED head lights, air suspension and seems like several other things for a total price of over $106,000. I didn't even test drive. I bought a Genesis G90 420 HP V8 Tau engine (ranked one of the ten best engines). This car has absolutely everything on it including lane keep assist, surround camera most comfortable seats I have ever sat on. Excellent sound system, apple play, google connect, free service with concierge for three years, 10 year power train warranty. Etc, Etc for $30,000 less than the aforementioned 2017 LS. So long Lexus. If you don't mind not having the panache of an expensive dealership The Genesis G90 is the way to go. Only four options TTV6 or V8 RWD or AWD absolutely everything else is standard. I love the car and my big V8.
Old 01-26-17, 01:52 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Yes, the G90 is excellent value, and the quality (fit and finish) are pretty close to the big boys. Did you get the V8 AWD? It's great, and not surprising, to hear you are loving it. I strongly considered waiting until summer 2018 to buy a used (and well-depreciated ) G90. But with my boys growing up quickly and needing a spacious vehicle now, I could not afford to wait two years to drive a fully loaded flagship car, and bought my LS460L in Feb 2016.
Old 01-26-17, 02:37 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,737 Likes on 1,959 Posts

Congrats! Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on the G90, I think you're the first member here with one.

Might not have the panache of a fancy dealer, but they will come get it and drop it off, and the service is free! I just got quotes for the 30k service for my LS460 and the high was almost $800, so the panache aint free...
Old 01-26-17, 07:01 PM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Yeah I actually do like the look too. I think that is one thing they got right: the shape. If I were to get it, I would just choose one of the many OEM wheel choices considering 20s are now offered, but I bet a nice set of aftermarket wheels would look extremely good. I wonder if it has a spare or it's shod in crappy run flats. I couldn't tell from the photos.

it is somewhat close to the concept... concept was sexier but they came pretty close design wise. i like it. first thing will be to buy her new shoes and socks of course.
Old 01-27-17, 07:58 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by russray
I had already deleted my account but after receiving email and reading posts about the 2018 LS (especially lack of V8) I just had to reup and post. I had owned a LS 430 Ultra Luxury that I bough new and drove for 13 years. Loved the car. I started shopping recently for a new on since I sold the LS to a neighbor. I had followed the Genesis G90 reviews and test drove the first one to arrive in Tulsa. I was very impressed with all of the features especially for the price. I went into the Lexus dealership with the intent of test driving a new 2017. They had no brochures. I asked about lane keep assist. Turned out you could only get it on the L and then had to buy luxury package, LED head lights, air suspension and seems like several other things for a total price of over $106,000. I didn't even test drive. I bought a Genesis G90 420 HP V8 Tau engine (ranked one of the ten best engines). This car has absolutely everything on it including lane keep assist, surround camera most comfortable seats I have ever sat on. Excellent sound system, apple play, google connect, free service with concierge for three years, 10 year power train warranty. Etc, Etc for $30,000 less than the aforementioned 2017 LS. So long Lexus. If you don't mind not having the panache of an expensive dealership The Genesis G90 is the way to go. Only four options TTV6 or V8 RWD or AWD absolutely everything else is standard. I love the car and my big V8.
If you don't mind, having come from an LS, could you start a thread with a comparison for us? Would love to hear from an actual G90 owner about there thoughts compared to the Lexus.
The following users liked this post:
Gbp (01-27-17)
Old 01-27-17, 10:46 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 261 Likes on 189 Posts

Originally Posted by russray
I think your story may become a common one. Lexus is going to price the LS out of the market. Spending that much would either put me in the S Class or make me look at all the G90 offers at a huge discount. I don't see where the V6 turbo LS fits in that story.

Anyway, congrats and I hope you will keep us up to date as to how you like the G90.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!