LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-17 | 01:23 PM
vuong05
Driver

Originally Posted by russray
I had already deleted my account but after receiving email and reading posts about the 2018 LS (especially lack of V8) I just had to reup and post. I had owned a LS 430 Ultra Luxury that I bough new and drove for 13 years. Loved the car. I started shopping recently for a new on since I sold the LS to a neighbor. I had followed the Genesis G90 reviews and test drove the first one to arrive in Tulsa. I was very impressed with all of the features especially for the price. I went into the Lexus dealership with the intent of test driving a new 2017. They had no brochures. I asked about lane keep assist. Turned out you could only get it on the L and then had to buy luxury package, LED head lights, air suspension and seems like several other things for a total price of over $106,000. I didn't even test drive. I bought a Genesis G90 420 HP V8 Tau engine (ranked one of the ten best engines). This car has absolutely everything on it including lane keep assist, surround camera most comfortable seats I have ever sat on. Excellent sound system, apple play, google connect, free service with concierge for three years, 10 year power train warranty. Etc, Etc for $30,000 less than the aforementioned 2017 LS. So long Lexus. If you don't mind not having the panache of an expensive dealership The Genesis G90 is the way to go. Only four options TTV6 or V8 RWD or AWD absolutely everything else is standard. I love the car and my big V8.
Your comparison of the two vehicles would be a welcomed addition to this thread.
Old 01-28-17 | 06:55 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by vuong05
Your comparison of the two vehicles would be a welcomed addition to this thread.
I think it would be a welcome addition to an all new thread. Comparison of the G90 and LS430 doesn't have anything to do with the 2018 LS500.
Old 01-28-17 | 07:16 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

I gotta say after reading more about specifically the G90, I am pretty impressed. Kinda bums be out on the G90, a 3.3TT is the base and of course their 5.0 Tau V8 is the upgrade option in comparison to where things stand with the forthcoming LS500. Moreover, the difference in pricing is simply astounding when factoring in that there are seemingly no options other than the V8 gets a few extra goodies (LED headlights, reclining rear seats that massage and heated/cooled I think?) And the uncharge for AWD is like $2400 which is silly cheap and makes me wonder how many RWD's will be sold.

Of course having only two interior color choices and a limited number of exterior colors while keeping optioning identical vastly simplifies production keeping costs down as opposed to a large menu of a la carte optioning. Regardless, the value proposition is off the charts.
Old 01-29-17 | 08:58 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Why is the new ls getting such negative comments without even being seen? How is it not up to mb BMW or Audi? It certainly looks better inside out compared to BMW and Audi. On par with mb maybe even better.
Old 01-29-17 | 09:01 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

The bulk seem to primarily concern the lack of a V8 option as opposed to blanket negativity.
Old 01-29-17 | 10:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Why is the new ls getting such negative comments without even being seen? How is it not up to mb BMW or Audi? It certainly looks better inside out compared to BMW and Audi. On par with mb maybe even better.
This always happens when a new model comes out. Owners of the old model have a hard time accepting change. It's not unique to CL, but IMHO it is particularly strong here.
Old 01-29-17 | 11:27 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Putting a V6 in a LS500 is like putting a prius engine in a Hellcat Challenger. Makes absolutely no sense.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17 | 12:18 PM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
This always happens when a new model comes out. Owners of the old model have a hard time accepting change. It's not unique to CL, but IMHO it is particularly strong here.
Or maybe it isn't the change they were hoping for. Who in the LS community wanted the V8 to go away for a twin turbo V6? And the styling is certainly controversial, especially for the LS. I remember when the the 460 was released. I thought it was drop dead gorgeous and couldn't wait to own one. And although I hated the 460L I eventually owned, I still think it looks fantastic. I've got zero desire for the LS500. I think it is short-sighted to just proclaim that the negativity is just that people don't like change.

Last edited by Bob04; 01-29-17 at 12:23 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob04:
1WILLY1 (01-29-17), peteharvey (01-29-17)
Old 01-29-17 | 12:53 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You liked the styling of the LS460, but not everybody did. I remember, there were all kids of negative comments about how it looked too much like a BMW or a Nissan and lots of picture comparisons. This happens every time a new model comes out, like clockwork.

Just as you liked the LS460 there are plenty of people in this thread and the other thread that like the LS500 styling a lot. They just get buried by the negative posts who tend to be louder and those posters tend to post the same negative opinion repeatedly, vs people who comment positively and move on. It's a departure but Lexus is changing, it's a lot more "normal" looking than I thought it would be, there are a few quirks but IMHO Lexus always is a few styling quirks and they always look a lot better in person.

The V6 doesn't bother me, what bothers me is there is no V8 option. Standard V6 power is typical in the segment like it or not. Again, times are changing.

I think the car is great looking inside and out. If I can get one for $85k then I can't wait to have one. If it's more like $90k I'm going to keep what I have or get a Genesis G90.
Old 01-30-17 | 12:47 AM
kellens
Pole Position

I'm betting on the new LS to put to bed the V8 concerns once people get a drive of it. I remember my granddad mentioning how he'd "Never buy a car with fuel injection, the carburetor was the way to go". There's becoming less need for 8 spark plugs in an engine to get the performance, especially if the tradeoff is in the performance/handling of the car.

The style of the 2018 LS is at least a decade fresher looking than the 2007 design. All moot points in the end until individuals here get behind the wheel of one themselves, I have a feeling it's going to be impressive handling as well. Few who own a prior model of a car usually like the change at model year turn over, and in the LS case, has been a long time coming.

No way to compare it to a G90 until both are on the block for customers to drive and experience at their own fingertips.
Old 01-30-17 | 01:26 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Sure theres no bulletproof v8, but think of the possibilities of a v6 turbo. It already has more power, and more then likely aftermarket companies would have tuneable programmers to increase the boost, that will add way more power.

The same thing was said about the Ford ecoboost in the f150's now look at how much hp and fuel efficiency they're able to squeeze out of it.

Sure with every new model and new engines the first year would have its share of bugs and problems.
Old 01-30-17 | 04:51 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by ibidu1
Sure theres no bulletproof v8, but think of the possibilities of a v6 turbo. It already has more power, and more then likely aftermarket companies would have tuneable programmers to increase the boost, that will add way more power.

The same thing was said about the Ford ecoboost in the f150's now look at how much hp and fuel efficiency they're able to squeeze out of it.

Sure with every new model and new engines the first year would have its share of bugs and problems.
It is not a question of power or tunability for that matter as heaven knows you can make a TT setup go even faster just by fiddling with the boost. As for Ecoboost's, I recommend checking out some of the Ford owner threads while indeed it puts out silly power, real gas mileage is a downer and there are turbo related issues on some.
It is not for nothing that the Coyote 5.0 is still offered on the F150's and the take rate is pretty high.

If you plan on leasing and or keeping a car/truck for 3-4 years then I totally get what you are saying. It is just for those who tend to keep cars for 10 years plus, turbos are a issue of concern. The LS is/was the one luxury car that you could get away with purchasing post warranty coverage and it not becoming a maintenance nightmare.
I only hope the LS500 continues this tradition considering it is one that goes back close to 30 years...
The following 2 users liked this post by Junglequac:
Rhambler (01-30-17), roadfrog (01-30-17)
Old 01-30-17 | 05:45 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I purchased the Coyote 5.0 for my F150 after driving the 2 ecoboost offerings. I wonder if Lexus will pump in fake engine sound for their turbo v6 like Ford does for the ecoboosts. I find it hard to believe that the new turbo V6 will offer the same refined experience that the past V8s have delivered. The 460 was already a step down in refinement with the timing chain and direct injection ticking. I wouldn't be surprised if the V6 twin turbo also has similar issues. I'd like to see more specs on the engine. I suspect it will have direct and port fuel injection, but I'd also like to know the details on the turbo setup.

As for owning for long term and outside of the warranty period, that also took a hit with the LS460. Ask your techs at your local dealership about the 460 vs the 430. I've had several tell me that the 460 is a service department revenue generator, while they describe the 430 as bulletproof. I wouldn't be surprised if that trend continues with the LS500. Although turbo drivetrains have improved, I certainly wouldn't own one outside of warranty unless I was willing to risk a big expense.

Going to be very interesting to see how this shakes out. I think it is very risky for Lexus, but the automotive market has surprised me more than once.
Old 01-30-17 | 05:55 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Yeah, long-term reliability is a big concern of that twin turbo and one of the reasons why I wished it offered that 5 liter.

Hey, we can all assume it will be reliable, just because it came from Toyota, but are you willing to bet $80-$90k on it and be a guinea pig for ten years?

These things are just way more inherently complex, not to mention the increased pressurization and higher overall operating temperatures just aren't very conducive to longevity in mechanical systems.

Water pumps, thermostats, oil leakage and consumption are just some of the typical turbo issues that crop up that frankly we don't have to worry about in our LS 460, but probably will in the 3.5 V6 TT.

Hey, maybe in five years we'll know more, but until then the jury is out. I wouldn't personally risk it. I would the 5 liter just because it is established, but not this one, not yet.
Old 01-30-17 | 06:02 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Bob04
I purchased the Coyote 5.0 for my F150 after driving the 2 ecoboost offerings. I wonder if Lexus will pump in fake engine sound for their turbo v6 like Ford does for the ecoboosts. I find it hard to believe that the new turbo V6 will offer the same refined experience that the past V8s have delivered. The 460 was already a step down in refinement with the timing chain and direct injection ticking. I wouldn't be surprised if the V6 twin turbo also has similar issues. I'd like to see more specs on the engine. I suspect it will have direct and port fuel injection, but I'd also like to know the details on the turbo setup.

As for owning for long term and outside of the warranty period, that also took a hit with the LS460. Ask your techs at your local dealership about the 460 vs the 430. I've had several tell me that the 460 is a service department revenue generator, while they describe the 430 as bulletproof. I wouldn't be surprised if that trend continues with the LS500. Although turbo drivetrains have improved, I certainly wouldn't own one outside of warranty unless I was willing to risk a big expense.

Going to be very interesting to see how this shakes out. I think it is very risky for Lexus, but the automotive market has surprised me more than once.
I know the 430 enjoys an enviable reputation and I owned a 2005 Ultra Luxury prior to my 460 and have indeed spoken to the techs. My family has purchased close to 10 new Lexii from the dealer I go to and had my LX470 and LS430 serviced there. I do know actually my personal service advisor has a 2005 UL that was all but identical to mine and know how high in esteem especially the 2005-2006 430's are held.

Then again, the 430 derives so much from the original 400 whereas the 460 introduced the first all new V8 series then in 16 years and myriad other changes. As for the timing chain, I know very few who do not prefer a chain over a belt considering both the price of doing the belt and the results if a timing belt breaks on an interference engine.

As for DI, when combined with port injection, I think all in all the UR Series in the 460/600 still is a pretty quiet powerplant and has stood the test of time. Moreover, look at the gas mileage especially on the interstate where you can realistically get around 30 when keeping it under 80 or so. Control arms and the brake actuator is where I see true weak points, not the engine. Or the transmission for that matter.

I just have not come across to many/any nightmare threads when it comes to 2007-2008 460's here. I spent hours going over the service history of the 2007 I purchased as it was dealer serviced from purchase through its eventual sale and aside from the valve spring recall and a seemingly defective brake actuator replacement (happened 10,000 miles ago and I recently had to get it replaced again), no reports of it not starting or any other high dollar out of warranty repairs.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!