LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17 | 12:12 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by jainla
  • LS-F. More likely than not THIS is where we see the V8; either from the LC or a TT version that's been teased for a number of years. Maybe in SWB form
This is the only hope we have at this point

The 460 F-sport offered with the na V8, and the LS-F offered with a supercharged/TT V8

This is what would keep them relevant and on par with the big players

It would also give the F-sport the credibility it needs. When people see the F they should be slightly afraid and impressed, like the AMG, or Z06, or M....they should know it means business.

As of right now the F package consists of slightly stiffer springs and an F logo on the side of the car?

I hope they banish this one somewhere in eastern Europe and roll out the real car soon

Last edited by 1WILLY1; 01-10-17 at 12:15 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Bogglo (01-23-17)
Old 01-10-17 | 12:43 AM
kellens
Pole Position

I'm not hooked that luxury car high end needs a V-8. I'm a bit younger, and don't have any nostalgia factor for number of spark plugs. Performance will be key when it shows. This car being on new architecture, and visually relevant makes it for me. Hopefully some of the tech comes on it. The generation from 2007 was very long in the tooth in looks, and feel. I'm hopeful Lexus came through on this one. Will hold much of my judgement until behind the wheel of one. Glad they finally did the redesign on sedan. Am so sick of SUVs taking over, not my thing.
Old 01-10-17 | 12:52 AM
sfolexus
Driver School Candidate

I've read through all the posts. One of the biggest launches in almost a decade and I feel like Lexus blew it. No V8. No autonomous drive. No Bentley or Maserati inspired design. Just the same old safe and conservative Toyota design save for an elegant interior. Maybe my opinion will change when I see the car in person but I'm annoyed. I wanted this to be a huge win for Lexus. I have a W221 S-Class and after the debacle of the unreliable and smaller W220, the w221 put Mercedes back on track. This was supposed to be Lexus' W221 moment but instead it's more of the same crap. Akio Toyota should just resign and let someone else with ***** run the company. What the hell were you thinking approving intro of a twin turbo v6 in Detroit? Wtf? Benz has been killing it the last several years and you don't even have the guts to put out a V8? Goes back to the the reserve and conservative Japanese culture. No wonder they lost the fricken second world war?!! I'm angry now.
Old 01-10-17 | 01:07 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Wow is all I can say about you fellow "Lexus enthusiasts". Why all the hate? It's very incredible car, the question is what car is perfect and don't say the s class that is the most overrated car ever. This car imo blows it out the water.
I think some of it is two main reasons-
1- many people here have prior years models and are attached to what they own...beauty in eye of beholder

2- this new model cut 20 years plus off it's new buyer target age appeal. 2007 model to me looked to aim 60-70+? Maybe even 80s? The new one on early glance dropped to 40s IMO. Those who maybe have done the German or Bentley game in 20s 30s, but value serenity and reliability as sexy more.
Old 01-10-17 | 01:11 AM
kellens
Pole Position

Originally Posted by sfolexus
I've read through all the posts. One of the biggest launches in almost a decade and I feel like Lexus blew it. No V8. No autonomous drive. No Bentley or Maserati inspired design. Just the same old safe and conservative Toyota design save for an elegant interior. Maybe my opinion will change when I see the car in person but I'm annoyed. I wanted this to be a huge win for Lexus. I have a W221 S-Class and after the debacle of the unreliable and smaller W220, the w221 put Mercedes back on track. This was supposed to be Lexus' W221 moment but instead it's more of the same crap. Akio Toyota should just resign and let someone else with ***** run the company. What the hell were you thinking approving intro of a twin turbo v6 in Detroit? Wtf? Benz has been killing it the last several years and you don't even have the guts to put out a V8? Goes back to the the reserve and conservative Japanese culture. No wonder they lost the fricken second world war?!! I'm angry now.
Dunno how many younger buyers care about V8. AND I'd look for one in F-sport down the road. If I wanted a Mercedes, I'd buy one, I'm glad this didn't go that direction. I want excellence without too much flash.
Old 01-10-17 | 02:21 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

I can't see hardly anything I like about that car. The front end looks like an angry Pokemon. The profile is ugly and definitely Infiniti inspired. The rear looks like it is trying to be a throwback to the Bangle Butt BMW designs. Absolutely hate it. Rear side tri-windows are downright bizarre and hideous. Who actually looked at that and thought it looked good? Almost as bad a side windows design at that stupid Subaru kinda-sporty car from the 90s. The organic flow of the interior is ok, but the micro-shift **** is something no man could be proud of, and the weird hump above the dash with the horn ***** are just strange. The offset clock looks like an afterthought, and I have no idea why the radio **** is pointing upward. And no v8. I find it hard to believe a TTV6 will offer the same quiet, refined, effortless acceleration of a good V8.

I was really excited about this release, hoping Lexus had seen the error of their ways and gone back to what made them great in the beginning. It's like Lexus has decided that they don't care about being better than MB and have decided to just be happy being the S-Class's angry-looking asian little sister. Very disappointed. Have no idea what they are thinking. It will be a sales disaster. I would pick a Tesla or any of the luxury competitors over this for the money. More worthy of being the top of the line Buick than the flagship Lexus.
aypues (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17 | 02:44 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Car & Driver says no more SWB and LWB design. Only the LWB design that is 1 inch longer than the current LWB.
Old 01-10-17 | 05:35 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Great. SO it looks just like Genesis/ Kia offerings. And no V8? And whats with that quarter window behind the rear door. That was the main reason I stayed away from Audis

Gs is nothing to look at. LS is painful to look at.
Guess Ill buy a 16 model in a year or two and hang on to it for as long as I can.

Days of NA v8S has come to an end.

At this point might as well get the S550 with its twin turbo if you gonna warranty yourself for a few year anyhow.

Good v8 and tranny was the main reason to ever go with a Lexus, now that its all gone I dont see a point.
1WILLY1 (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17 | 05:37 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
Great. SO it looks just like Genesis/ Kia offerings. And no V8? And whats with that quarter window behind the rear door. That was the main reason I stayed away from Audis

Gs is nothing to look at. LS is painful to look at.
Guess Ill buy a 16 model in a year or two and hang on to it for as long as I can.

Days of NA v8S has come to an end.
And what about the main part you'll be looking at all the time?, the beautiful interior. Overall I think it is a brilliant sexy machine.
Old 01-10-17 | 05:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Guys lol, it's going to be fine. Lexus and the LS are going to do just fine.

This happens every time that a new model comes out, everybody freaks out and says "oh my god what has Lexus done" and then it all turns out fine.

It's different, and change is hard.

As for sales, of course it's not going to sell 35k units a year. No car in this segment does anymore, the segment is weaker now. If this sells 12-15k units a year that's a huge win for Lexus.
Old 01-10-17 | 05:48 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

And what about the main part you'll be looking at all the time?, the beautiful interior. Overall I think it is a brilliant sexy machine.
If I dont love the car from every angle whats the point of settling for it. The side of the car looks like an Infiniti. Now Lexus always copied MB designs up unitl LS460 which is fine, but this has no elegance what so ever.

S550 Sport it is.

I will never own this car. It just doesn't appeal to me. And time will not be kind to a flashy design in a long run.
Old 01-10-17 | 05:50 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Guys lol, it's going to be fine. Lexus and the LS are going to do just fine.

This happens every time that a new model comes out, everybody freaks out and says "oh my god what has Lexus done" and then it all turns out fine.

It's different, and change is hard.

As for sales, of course it's not going to sell 35k units a year. No car in this segment does anymore, the segment is weaker now. If this sells 12-15k units a year that's a huge win for Lexus.

With every new LS, we got more features, but also more importanty more power, more class, more presitge.
I dont see whats so hot about a missing V8, Infiniti profile and lack of elegance.

Watch. The sales will tell that true story. Quick redesign will follow soon.
Old 01-10-17 | 05:56 AM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
With every new LS, we got more features, but also more importanty more power, more class, more presitge.
I dont see whats so hot about a missing V8, Infiniti profile and lack of elegance.

Watch. The sales will tell that true story. Quick redesign will follow soon.
Ok it has substantially way more power than the current dinosaur, more luxury, elegance and class. What more can you possibly want?
Old 01-10-17 | 06:02 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Ok it has substantially way more power than the current dinosaur, more luxury, elegance and class. What more can you possibly want?
A car that won't require two turbochargers after around 100,000 miles.
The following 2 users liked this post by Junglequac:
AJT123 (01-10-17), DavidinCT (01-11-17)
Old 01-10-17 | 06:02 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

I dont want to be worried with the stressed turbo motor loosing steam past 100k miles. Something you would never ever have to worry about past lexus motors. Lexus V8 was a benchmark, a masterpiece.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!