LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17, 06:09 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
I dont want to be worried with the stressed turbo motor loosing steam past 100k miles. Something you would never ever have to worry about past lexus motors. Lexus V8 was a benchmark, a masterpiece.
I probably got my post out before you by seconds! I have always wanted to go to Georgia (guessing my your user name) as gosh does it look beautiful.
Old 01-10-17, 06:10 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

With every new LS, we got more features, but also more importanty more power, more class, more presitge.
I dont see whats so hot about a missing V8, Infiniti profile and lack of elegance.

Watch. The sales will tell that true story. Quick redesign will follow soon.
If you go into the LS430 forum they say all of these things about the LS460. This is how it is, owners of the previous model are hard on the new model and soften over time. You'll see. Many of us will own LS500s in the years to come.

As for all the things you think new generations should have they are all here. More power, space, quality, features, size, prestige. The only difference is it's a V6 not a V8. That bums me out too.

If you get an S550 Sport you're going to have twin turbochargers to worry about too.

I have total confidence Lexus can make a reliable TT motor.
Old 01-10-17, 06:16 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you go into the LS430 forum they say all of these things about the LS460. This is how it is, owners of the previous model are hard on the new model and soften over time. You'll see. Many of us will own LS500s in the years to come.

As for all the things you think new generations should have they are all here. More power, space, quality, features, size, prestige. The only difference is it's a V6 not a V8. That bums me out too.

If you get an S550 Sport you're going to have twin turbochargers to worry about too.

I have total confidence Lexus can make a reliable TT motor.
I am sure you are right as Toyota has experience using turbocharging going back decades. That said, turbos need replacing at a certain point and it ain't cheap. And for those who tend not to keep cars much past 75,000 miles and for lessors, it is going to be an amazing car.

I love the 2007 forward S Class and actually included it in my search when replacing my LS430. As I am one of those idiots who always pays cash for his cars (and house), I got a bit gun shy about maintenance costs.
Old 01-10-17, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Turbos aren't new to Toyota, what Toyota turbo model needs turbo replacement at 100k miles?

Even in turbo MBs and BMWs, I don't recall turbo failure being a big issue.
Old 01-10-17, 06:30 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Turbos aren't new to Toyota, what Toyota turbo model needs turbo replacement at 100k miles?

Indeed and is why I said they have been doing them for decades. And while a turbocharger might not fail completely, that is not to say they do not lose boost. As for BMW's, http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=327083
Moreover, I don't think it can be argued that turbos add stress to a motor by virtue of the higher compression.

Things like allowing proper cool down, staying on top of oil changes with a high quality synthetic and so forth will certainly extend the life. In addition, how high the boost is of the engine will have a impact on longevity.
Old 01-10-17, 06:33 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

With every new LS, we got more features, but also more importanty more power, more class, more presitge.
I dont see whats so hot about a missing V8, Infiniti profile and lack of elegance.
Watch. The sales will tell that true story. Quick redesign will follow soon.
The rear quarter window, or rather the funky arrangement going on within the rear door window, seems to have caused many people's ire. I hope this "cosmetic" issue is resolved in the 2019 car, and for me anyways, would do a great deal to make the car more attractive. Other major gripes like the bulging, Infinitiesque shape, with lack of a strong shoulder line, and no V8, are too major to be redesigned any time soon.

Like Steve says, give it some time and all will be well in the LS world. We should know in a few months whether the lack of the V8 will make the current generation cars retain value better. They might become collectibles...
Old 01-10-17, 06:50 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
I probably got my post out before you by seconds! I have always wanted to go to Georgia (guessing my your user name) as gosh does it look beautiful.
Thanks man. It is beautiful and people are kind. But they are tired. Country has been plagued by corrupt government for a very long time.
Economy is not where it should be. I went back a few years ago after 20 years and had an amazing time.

Its still safer and cleaner now than ever before, so anytime is a good time to visit. Summer is just prettier.
Old 01-10-17, 06:56 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Lets see how many twin turbo V8 bmws ot MB cars you can find past 100k miles.

3.5TT will be a high stressed motor pushing a heavy car. Cars are not made to last anymore. They are made to last through a LEASE, and maybe a year or two past that. That is it.
BMW has been doing it for years. MB is not far behind.

LS 460 is already last v8 NA Luxury car on the market. Im not counting KiA and Genensis, they are new comers in the market and the motors are not proven yet.

Lexus was an exception. Lets see how they do in the future. But This LS I will not be buying.
Old 01-10-17, 06:58 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Sorry. That's not a step up in class or prestige to me. I love my 430 and loved the looks of my 460l, despite it being a lemon. This car is different. I'm in my mid 40s and I wouldn't even consider something that looks like that. Tacky, gaudy, and overstyled. Not stately and classy. It's what I would have drawn up when I was 12 years old if you told me design a family car. It will flop. Too crazy looking for a large segment of current customer base, but not cool enough or prestigious enough for the younger crowd.
The following 2 users liked this post by Bob04:
aypues (01-10-17), tqh (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 07:10 AM
Bob04
Lead Lap

Received 250 Likes on 181 Posts

Even the naming is hokey. It should be the LS350t or something like that. Where does the 500 come from in a car that is a 3.5L V6? Lame.
The following users liked this post:
1WILLY1 (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17, 07:23 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bob04
Even the naming is hokey. It should be the LS350t or something like that. Where does the 500 come from in a car that is a 3.5L V6? Lame.
Agreed.
Same goes for S550 4.7tt
BMW 750 4.4tt
Whole BMW line up

Audi says 4.0TT

I smile every time I look at my 90 420 SEL. Tried and true. 4.2, long body.
LS has always stayed true.

Last edited by tbilisi79; 01-10-17 at 07:27 AM.
Old 01-10-17, 08:19 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

I am tired of my LS looking like the Avalon; and this one is just takes the cake

Originally Posted by jasone36
As a 2013 LS owner, the 2018 model looks like a mashup of a Toyota Avalon with an Infiniti Q50 sedan.

I'm sure it'll grow on me, but as it stands today, the exterior styling is significantly more Infititi-ish than Lexus-ish.

The interior, however, looks amazing.
Old 01-10-17, 08:20 AM
UZ214
Pole Position

Received 221 Likes on 163 Posts

(Lame)?Did you just did a Trump there.. haha
Old 01-10-17, 08:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This I agree with. How can you have an LC500 with a 5.0L V8 and an LS500 with a 3.5L TT V6? It shows that Lexus understands the reduction in prestige by going to a smaller motor and adjusted the naming convention they've had for nearly 30 years accordingly.

They should have bored it out to 4.0L and made it the LS400. Or if they had a V8 variant, LS350tt and LS500 with the 5.0L V8.

People who don't understand engines aren't going to see parity between an "LS350" and an "S550". Lexus knows that which is why the fudged the nameplate.

We just have to come to terms with the fact that V8 and displacement are a thing of the past. Motors are going to get smaller and turbos are going to be the name of the game.

I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt and try out the new TT engine before I pass final judgement.
Old 01-10-17, 09:45 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

The 2018 LS500 is so different in styling from the previous LS generation that it will take time for me to judge it objectively. Change is difficult for me. My main concern is the lack of a naturally-aspirated V8, but I think it's only a matter of time until we see that as an option. One other concern is pricing. Although the Genesis G90 is now the value proposition in the large luxury car market, IMO the Lexus LS should be priced somewhat below its BMW, Audi, and Mercedes competitors. For me, the LS has always been a bit of a "stealth" product, one that offered comparable luxury, superior reliability, craftsmanship on par with its competitors, yet at a lower price.

One could legitimately argue that the LS hasn't kept up with the innovations of its competitors, yet I find its standard feature set to be more than adequate in most areas. (It might have been a smart marketing move to make the ML standard, for example, with an optional downgrade to the "Lexus Premium Audio" system.)

It occurs to me that the 2018 LS is an attempt by Lexus to break out of this stealth mode and to compete more directly with its rivals and make the value proposition less of a factor. To achieve this, the LS must be more competitive with its rivals, including its features and styling. Has it? Frankly, I don't know. I think the car should have been initially offered with the V8 engine in the LC500 as an option, which could have increased its overall appeal and made more sense of its model name.

I'll have a better idea of my feelings about the car when I experience it in person.

Last edited by Gbp; 01-10-17 at 10:27 AM.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!