LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-17 | 09:55 AM
Luxofreak
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Gbp
Change is difficult for me.
^^ when change is for the BETTER, there is no difficulty. In this case, it is painfully difficult because the car is just an abomination in my opinion. From design to engine, it's a fail. I don't care how much torque a V6 can offer, nothing compares to a V8. And if that V6 has that STUPID start/stop function, it will be even more of a fail. It might be the most reliable car on earth, it might have great gas mileage, it might have all the tech I never use, but the design is hideous. I mean, look at the 2016 XJ-L -- you can still get a supercharged V8. Oh wait.... Lexus now competes with the 5 series BMW, my bad. Sorry Lexus, you just lost a long time faithful customer with that design and engine.
Old 01-10-17 | 10:16 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Wait and see what engines they offer in the XJ when its redesigned...its also a very old design.

Just remember, this exact thread with these exact reactions existed when the LS460 was launched, and still comes up from time to time and we all love our 460s, and many of those 430 owners now own 460s. Was no different when the 4GS came out, a lot of those 3GS owners now own the 4GS.

It will come around.
Old 01-10-17 | 10:21 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Wait and see what engines they offer in the XJ when its redesigned...its also a very old design.

Just remember, this exact thread with these exact reactions existed when the LS460 was launched, and still comes up from time to time and we all love our 460s, and many of those 430 owners now own 460s. Was no different when the 4GS came out, a lot of those 3GS owners now own the 4GS.

It will come around.
No true. I owned a 3gs, 06 GS430. Looked sunning, was fast and sounded great from that legendary V8. 4GS was a huge turn off for me. Would never own it. So I went with a LS460. I still think 07-09 is the smoothest design.
Old 01-10-17 | 10:24 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbilisi79
No true. I owned a 3gs, 06 GS430. Looked sunning, was fast and sounded great from that legendary V8. 4GS was a huge turn off for me. Would never own it. So I went with a LS460. I still think 07-09 is the smoothest design.
Thats you, that wasn't everybody. Lots of 3GS owners moved on to 4GS vehicles, many of whom were very vocal about their dislike of the 4GS when it came out. Lots of LS430 owners still very vocally dislike the LS460. Lots of LS400 owners vocally dislike the LS430. Thats par for the course.

You're not going to please everybody, but if you bring some of the old people along and bring in some new people, thats a win. Lexus is changing, their design sensibilities and goals are changing. I actually expected the new LS to be more radical than it is, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm even coming around on the V6...gotta drive it...but every time I look at the pictures it grows on me.
Old 01-10-17 | 10:32 AM
tbilisi79
Instructor

Thats you, that wasn't everybody. Lots of 3GS owners moved on to 4GS vehicles, many of whom were very vocal about their dislike of the 4GS when it came out. Lots of LS430 owners still very vocally dislike the LS460. Lots of LS400 owners vocally dislike the LS430. Thats par for the course.

You're not going to please everybody, but if you bring some of the old people along and bring in some new people, thats a win. Lexus is changing, their design sensibilities and goals are changing. I actually expected the new LS to be more radical than it is, so I'm pleasantly surprised. I'm even coming around on the V6...gotta drive it...but every time I look at the pictures it grows on me.
Im glad the design sits well with you and I wish Lexus best of luck. Any company that builts itself on value and quality is a winner in my book. But I dont do brand loyalty thing. For me this design is weak and V6 is a no go. I don't care what HP ratings it has.
FOr Example, Jaguar XJ looks amazing, and I give them credit for trying to carry on a tradition of elegant cars. One of the kind elegant cars. Why cant LS find its place in a market is beyond me.
Old 01-10-17 | 11:51 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Not to rain on anyone's parade, but...

I don't understand the *****ing about the new version. Styling, especially in a picture, reveals absolutely nothing. Reading some of you is make me chuckle a bit as I recall them *****ing about the overdone styling of the prototype, and to now find you here saying it's not enough. Go figure.

You need to wait and see it in person... sit in it... drive it... feel it... to get the actual vibe of the vehicule. Your comments, to me, is pure speculation based on a 2D snapshot.

As for the V6... well... again byt the looks of it, it might be disapointing... then again all the Big Ones are downsizing... MB's S-class has a V6 entry point... so does BMW.

Not ready to trade-in yet, but I'll sure go have a look and test drive when they arrive... before giving my final judgement.
Old 01-10-17 | 12:12 PM
aypues
Instructor

The displacement vs model numbering hasn't made sense for awhile now, even for Lexus. Look at their hybrids. The LS600hL has a 5.0L v8 plus electric motors. The GS450H has a 3.5L V6 plus electrics...etc. They explained that it's the equivalent to displacement on a non-electrified car, and the same idea is being applied to turbocharging now as well.
Old 01-10-17 | 12:23 PM
Jasoneo5
Instructor

I'm on my 5th LS right now and this new release is pretty disappointing. Clearly can't even compete with an S550, which was introduced 1/2 decade prior. I would argue it's barely on-point with the 09 750LI's brought to market nearly a decade ago.

Our only hope is Lexus won't shoot themselves in the foot with MSRP, as they did with the GS-F. If they seriously try to ask a base north of 80-90k, they'll achieve the same result in sales that the GS-F's did.....pathetic.
Old 01-10-17 | 12:25 PM
imrankh24
Lexus Test Driver

Ok all you who are bashing really need to stop, every reviewer is giving the car such great feedback and how it's on par with Germans if not better. Now I just feel you guys are bashing for the he'll of it.
Old 01-10-17 | 12:36 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sapstar66
MB's S-class has a V6 entry point... so does BMW..
First off I agree with your above post, people need to give the new design the benefit of the doubt before they pass final judgement.

To be fair though, the S Class has a standard V8 in the US. The 7 has a standard straight 6, but optional V8 power.

I would have no issue with the standard V6 if there was a V8 available.
Old 01-10-17 | 12:56 PM
peteharvey
Lead Lap

Steve, but Toyota Motor Corporation's recent down turn in styling is of an absolutely huge magnitude in the opposite direction.
Look at Prius, and the forthcoming 2018 Camry as well.
Akio the grandson shouldn't be allowed to input design, if that's what's going on.
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

I'm okay with the 3.5 TT for the sake of fuel efficiency and price, though the smoothness of the V8 will be badly missed.
The following users liked this post:
Jasoneo5 (01-10-17)
Old 01-10-17 | 01:05 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Ok it has substantially way more power than the current dinosaur, more luxury, elegance and class. What more can you possibly want?
29 HP is a substantial amount to you? Actually the engine probably makes 100 hp less then the current model, but they attached two turbos to make up for it

Its weak , and would only make sense as a base model for people who are looking for a more budget friendly option

Originally Posted by imrankh24
Ok all you who are bashing really need to stop, every reviewer is giving the car such great feedback and how it's on par with Germans if not better. Now I just feel you guys are bashing for the he'll of it.
We don't care about these paid reviewers , how long have they driven LS's for? How many LS or lexus models have they owned? You are now getting feedback directly from Lexus long time customers, and the response is clear , its a let down

First off I agree with your above post, people need to give the new design the benefit of the doubt before they pass final judgement.

To be fair though, the S Class has a standard V8 in the US. The 7 has a standard straight 6, but optional V8 power.

I would have no issue with the standard V6 if there was a V8 available.
That's the only thing I will agree with, if it was a base model offered for cheaper then the V8's id be fine with it, but so far its not the case

The only positive I can think of is that once the car is released people will be swapping out those two turbos for some larger ones and we may see some massive HP numbers on these cars, especially if the tranny can handle it.

This powertrain cant even compete with a 2003 Mercedes S55 , it would be laughable if it wasn't so sad
Old 01-10-17 | 01:06 PM
Hoovey689

Originally Posted by mikedozz
On a side note, hope the next Gen GS gets that engine around 400hp, maybe a GS400, taking it back
Usually I'd disagree because with the exception of the Lexus Hybrids, the badge always depicted displacement. Now that the LS is going to follow suit to mirror the competition, might as well accept that this won't be the last Lexus to do it.
Old 01-10-17 | 01:14 PM
TangoRed
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by CokeBear
This is Lexus's Chris Bangle moment. I am totally disappointed as someone who has owned 5 Lexuses in the last 15 years.
Well then. Sales should go up as they did under Chris Bangle's tenure.
Old 01-10-17 | 01:17 PM
COOLIS
Instructor

I wonder if Lexus has something up their sleeve for a V8 model. I think I'm in fantasy land here, but could they be putting the GS-F 5.0 in the LS500? One could hope! I'm still baffled at how the Genesis G90 can offer a V6 TT as well as a V8, but Lexus can't offer a V8 as an option in their flagship sedan? That being said, I have a feeling this car will sell well (15K+ units in the first year). I'm also curious to see what a stripped LS500 will look like vs. the pictures we've seen. The RX350 looks horrible IMO as a base model, but beautiful as an F-sport.

Quick Reply: 2018 Lexus LS Revealed!!