LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 transmission service: drop pan, replace filter & fill

Search this Thread

Old 12-18-19, 03:37 AM
williamb82
Advanced

Received 45 Likes on 29 Posts

I just did this Sunday. For the fill plug, use a 24mm open end wrench(it is actually a 24mm bolt, not 15/16). I had no issues getting to it at all. The plug has an o-ring on it, and does not need to be super tight after you fill it. That just makes it harder to remove next time for no reason.

Also, the plug to check the fluid level is a 5mm allen. I didn't notice this info listed so wanted to post it for anyone that might want ot be sure they have the right tools before they get started.

Drain plug is 14mm, as well as the bolts for the exhaust bracket that must be removed to drop the pan. The trans pan bolts and filter bolts are all 10mm.

Last edited by williamb82; 12-18-19 at 05:06 AM.
The following users liked this post:
Persocon (10-12-21)
Old 01-31-20, 02:43 PM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

This thread helped me the most with replacing my fluid. I hope my experience while doing this helps someone too.

Update and warning as my original post has been copied... I just noticed I posted the incorrect fluid temp of 115f in my picture. On the LS460 the fluid level is checked between 95-108F. Sorry for the mistake. For what it's worth my car has had no issues with checking the fluid level at 115f.

The pictures all have the same flashlight behind the water bottle. One bottle has the old fluid that came out (180k miles). The second bottle is after I changed 12 quarts (came out the overflow). The third bottle is new fluid. Sorry, I didn't have enough fresh fluid to fill the third bottle. Those were the drips I had left inside my hand pump

2007 LS460 180,000 miles. The previous owner had the radiator replaced around 140,000 miles. I assume that is the only time the transmission has had any fluid replaced. Even then it was probably only a quart or less to replace the lost fluid while changing the radiator. Before I changed the fluid I felt the shifts were a little harsh, not lexus smooth. Also a month ago my wife and I were stopped at a red light creeping forward ever so slightly when the car lurched forward. It felt as if we were rear ended. I actually got out to inspect the bumper as I wasn't sure. I had planned on changing the fluid but that incident moved up the priority to my honey do list.

I could not get the 24mm bolt off with a 24mm wrench. The bolt was simply too tight. The wrench was rounding it off, closed end and open end. I ended up ordering three 24mm 6 point sockets. The one pictured was the only one that fit in the tight space. I still had to shave it down to a height of 1 3/16". I ground about 1/4" off of it. If your going to do this on jack stands I recommend getting one of these before hand. I could not find any locally the first day I attempted this.

The rest of the process went as expected. I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets, changed the filter, reinstalled the pan with new gasket, filled 5 quarts through the 24mm bolt opening, and replaced 24mm bolt only finger tight.. I torqued the pan bolts and filter bolts to 66 in/lbs.

Then I used the method of disconnecting the line on the radiator and having the tranny pump out the old fluid. If you disconnect the hose that is circled in green the fluid will be pumped out the fitting on the radiator. I attached a hose to this fitting and put it into a bucket. Honestly though you could insert the hose into an empty tranny quart container and fill 4 at a time. I did it both ways. The fluid doesn't come out crazy fast like a garden hose on high. I'd estimate you can fill 1 quart every 10 seconds. After 4 quarts came out I refilled 4 quarts into the tranny via the 24mm bolt opening. Then I repeated the process to get an additional 3 quarts to pump out of the radiator. I exchanged 12 quarts in total.

I used the fitting circled in green because it looked easier to access.

I feel like I need to run another 12 quarts through it to have it look "clean". It does seem to be more responsive and shift smoother. Either way I'm glad it has fresh fluid now.

This took me about 4 hours. I was surprised it took so long. I can't imagine a dealer replacing the filter and fluid for 2 or 300 hundred dollars without skipping steps.

Old fluid 180k miles. Dark, light from flashlight does not pass through at all.

Fluid after 12 fresh quarts added. Some light from the Flashlight does penetrate. This fluid has been shifted through all gears while using techstream to monitor the temperature. Once the tranny fluid was up to 115 I opened the overflow plug this is the fluid that came out.

This is brand new fluid. I wish I had more for a full comparison but you get the idea.

24mm 6 point socket. Shaved down to under 1.25"

I shaved this end down on a table top grinder.

Tranny fluid comes OUT of this fitting when running.

I cleaned the magnets. I think it's nice they have indentations where the magnets go. Our es300 does not.

Old filter

This is a genuine Lexus filter. Aside from being dirty the original filter element did look slightly different.

The back drive wheels were fully off the ground to shift through the gears. This made me feel safer when my wife started the car and I was under the car catching the fluid out the radiator.

Last edited by miket000; 10-12-21 at 08:13 PM. Reason: posted wrong fluid temp.
The following 2 users liked this post by miket000:
Margate330 (02-01-20), Persocon (10-12-21)
Old 02-01-20, 06:13 AM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Draining and refilling the Transmission every 30K miles is insane. Especially one as difficult (and expensive) as the LS.
Old 02-14-20, 04:47 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Temps are only part of the equation. As I recall, Techstream also opens and closes certain valves and solenoids in the valve body, ensuring proper fill. Thats why I don't mind spending 149 dollars to have my Toyota dealer do it.
Does anyone have TechStream instructions? It will be nice to do it through TechStream. I have TechStream installed now. In past I just moved the gears on LS430 as described on transmission threads on this forum.
Old 02-14-20, 06:37 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
Does anyone have TechStream instructions? It will be nice to do it through TechStream. I have TechStream installed now. In past I just moved the gears on LS430 as described on transmission threads on this forum.
here you go.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Tranny Fluid.pdf (204.3 KB, 589 views)
Old 02-14-20, 07:45 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Originally Posted by sha4000
here you go.
Thanks!

This maybe a stupid question but the instructions talk about jumping with SST(wire?). It does not talk about using TechStream. I think I can follow these instructions but I was wondering if there is any way using TechStream and that way I don't mess up jumping the ports or not doing sequences correctly. If there is none then that is fine but looks like there is based on comments here.

Edit: Found instructions for Camry and I suppose the idea is same on Lexus. Specifics may be different. http://blog.obdii365.com/2016/10/02/...e-fluid-level/

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 02-14-20 at 07:48 PM. Reason: Found instructions for Camry
Old 02-15-20, 05:07 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

You can monitor the live data in Techstream to check the transmission temp.
BMW7_LS430 (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 08:10 AM
miket000
Instructor

Received 525 Likes on 322 Posts

While waiting for the fluid to warm up it's a good idea to shift through all the gears. (step d.) Slowly move the shift lever from P to S, then move the shift lever from the 1 to 8. Then return the shift lever to P. The Camry one doesn't mention this. Make sure to stop the tire rotation by pressing the brake pedal before shifting between Park, Reverse, and Drive. This is pretty easy to forget as the car won't be moving.

I also found the instructions misleading when they say "wait for a steady stream before putting the overflow plug back in" Assuming you have refilled the tranny with enough fluid. The stream is steady when you first remove the overflow plug. Once the fluid comes out gargling (not smooth) then you install the overflow. There are a few video's floating around on youtube demonstrating this.

I'm not sure if this video is completely relevant to our model but it is a good example of when to install the plug.
11:50 minute
BMW7_LS430 (02-15-20)
Old 02-15-20, 12:54 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

One of the challenges with transmission oil level check is the temp range,. For LS460 it is 95-108F. If you do it in summer, it is very easy to exceed 108. Better do it in spring/fall so that you have time to shift the gears still stay below 108 within reasonable time. I wonder how it is done in Middle-east. lol

Last edited by BMW7_LS430; 02-26-20 at 02:53 PM.
Old 05-02-20, 07:19 AM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

here you go.
This "Transmission Fluid" document is for RWD (AA80E transmission).

Do you know if there is any different with the AWD (AA80F) in term of "Proper Temp" in j section? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/479832d1581734229-ls-460-transmission-service-drop-pan-replace-filter-and-fill-tranny-fluid.pdf
Thanks
Old 05-03-20, 05:04 AM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by LexusHOG
This "Transmission Fluid" document is for RWD (AA80E transmission).

Do you know if there is any different with the AWD (AA80F) in term of "Proper Temp" in j section? https://www.clublexus.com/forums/attachments/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/479832d1581734229-ls-460-transmission-service-drop-pan-replace-filter-and-fill-tranny-fluid.pdf
Thanks
The procedure is basically the same for all transmissions that are sealed.
Old 05-03-20, 07:00 PM
LexusHOG
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The procedure is basically the same for all transmissions that are sealed.
Thank you!

Due to this range I believe it is good to check at 100 degree.
Old 07-01-21, 11:00 AM
Zetascry
Pit Crew

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by miket000
This thread helped me the most with replacing my fluid. I hope my experience while doing this helps someone too.

The pictures all have the same flashlight behind the water bottle. One bottle has the old fluid that came out (180k miles). The second bottle is after I changed 12 quarts (came out the overflow). The third bottle is new fluid. Sorry, I didn't have enough fresh fluid to fill the third bottle. Those were the drips I had left inside my hand pump

2007 LS460 180,000 miles. The previous owner had the radiator replaced around 140,000 miles. I assume that is the only time the transmission has had any fluid replaced. Even then it was probably only a quart or less to replace the lost fluid while changing the radiator. Before I changed the fluid I felt the shifts were a little harsh, not lexus smooth. Also a month ago my wife and I were stopped at a red light creeping forward ever so slightly when the car lurched forward. It felt as if we were rear ended. I actually got out to inspect the bumper as I wasn't sure. I had planned on changing the fluid but that incident moved up the priority to my honey do list.

I could not get the 24mm bolt off with a 24mm wrench. The bolt was simply too tight. The wrench was rounding it off, closed end and open end. I ended up ordering three 24mm 6 point sockets. The one pictured was the only one that fit in the tight space. I still had to shave it down to a height of 1 3/16". I ground about 1/4" off of it. If your going to do this on jack stands I recommend getting one of these before hand. I could not find any locally the first day I attempted this.

The rest of the process went as expected. I dropped the pan, cleaned the magnets, changed the filter, reinstalled the pan with new gasket, filled 5 quarts through the 24mm bolt opening, and replaced 24mm bolt only finger tight.. I torqued the pan bolts and filter bolts to 66 in/lbs.

Then I used the method of disconnecting the line on the radiator and having the tranny pump out the old fluid. If you disconnect the hose that is circled in green the fluid will be pumped out the fitting on the radiator. I attached a hose to this fitting and put it into a bucket. Honestly though you could insert the hose into an empty tranny quart container and fill 4 at a time. I did it both ways. The fluid doesn't come out crazy fast like a garden hose on high. I'd estimate you can fill 1 quart every 10 seconds. After 4 quarts came out I refilled 4 quarts into the tranny via the 24mm bolt opening. Then I repeated the process to get an additional 3 quarts to pump out of the radiator. I exchanged 12 quarts in total.

I used the fitting circled in green because it looked easier to access.

I feel like I need to run another 12 quarts through it to have it look "clean". It does seem to be more responsive and shift smoother. Either way I'm glad it has fresh fluid now.

This took me about 4 hours. I was surprised it took so long. I can't imagine a dealer replacing the filter and fluid for 2 or 300 hundred dollars without skipping steps.

Old fluid 180k miles. Dark, light from flashlight does not pass through at all.

Fluid after 12 fresh quarts added. Some light from the Flashlight does penetrate. This fluid has been shifted through all gears while using techstream to monitor the temperature. Once the tranny fluid was up to 115 I opened the overflow plug this is the fluid that came out.

This is brand new fluid. I wish I had more for a full comparison but you get the idea.

24mm 6 point socket. Shaved down to under 1.25"

I shaved this end down on a table top grinder.

Tranny fluid comes OUT of this fitting when running.

I cleaned the magnets. I think it's nice they have indentations where the magnets go. Our es300 does not.

Old filter

This is a genuine Lexus filter. Aside from being dirty the original filter element did look slightly different.

The back drive wheels were fully off the ground to shift through the gears. This made me feel safer when my wife started the car and I was under the car catching the fluid out the radiator.
Hi, is the trans cooler fitting in same location on the 2014 Ls460? Also what size is the fitting, I need to buy a clear hose in that size. Thanks!
Old 07-03-21, 04:52 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Fluid Changes

In reading through this thread, with all the pitfalls and land mines associated with this project, I would NEVER even consider this a DIY process. Kudos and hats off to those who have done it but at 74 I will call the Lexus dealer for an appt.

Last edited by obsessed; 07-03-21 at 07:01 PM.
Old 04-06-23, 06:36 AM
Ls4602010
10th Gear

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by texas008
Yes that's what i'm planning to do in the next few weeks,
it's just a bit of work, but not that hard, requiring some patience, probably on a similar level to bleeding brake fluid.
only 2 challenges i can see:
1. Temperature monitor: will use the jumper wire procedure, and also use a heat gun as backup,
2. Hard-to-reach Refill plug: will get a 24mm long wrench, or will just refill from overflow hole.

Determined to bring the transmission service down to a easy DIY task.

My friend who worked in the auto repair business mentioned that in the dealership, there is no time to check the transmission temperature, they just let car idle for 5 min and call that the right transmission temperature....
how do you perform the jumper wire temperature monitor?

Quick Reply: LS 460 transmission service: drop pan, replace filter & fill