LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-17, 08:50 AM
fblonk
Rookie

Received 55 Likes on 16 Posts
Default LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial

Long time lurker, decided to contribute! My 2007 LS 460 (without exec package) needed a right rear strut. I did a tutorial. Hope it helps. I will do more tutorials as I do work on my car.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial-strut0001.jpg   LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial-strut0002.jpg   LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial-strut0003.jpg   LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial-strut0004.jpg   LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial-strut0005.jpg  

LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial-strut0006.jpg  
The following 2 users liked this post by fblonk:
GR6RR (01-17-17), RonInVero (06-14-22)
Old 01-17-17, 04:30 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Great contribution. I'll be replacing my front and rear shocks in the coming weeks (non-air). I'll throw in my .02 cents via a DIY as well.

Thanks again!
Old 01-20-17, 09:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Did you rent or borrow a spring compressor? Or did you take the assembly in to have it done at a shop?
Old 01-22-17, 09:19 AM
fblonk
Rookie

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Did you rent or borrow a spring compressor? Or did you take the assembly in to have it done at a shop?
Actually bought the entire assembly. Bolt in with minimal work.
Old 01-22-17, 09:23 AM
fblonk
Rookie

Did it on my driveway in Florida. The weather was nice.
Old 01-22-17, 04:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

What was the cost of each unit?
Old 01-22-17, 07:11 PM
Javelin343
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

And where did you order it?
Old 01-30-17, 12:21 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

OMG...what a pain the butt. I removed seat, etc. Now I'm faced with trying to get the strut/shock out, which is making me pull my hair out.I was able to get all the upper nuts off, but the lower part is killin' me. I of course got the lower strut nut off, but I tried removing the strut without removing/disconnecting the sway bar link. No joy. So, I attempted to remove the nut holding it in place. That's where everything comes to a screeching halt. I can't get the nut off. I have the hex key to hold the bolt while removing the nut, buut after a few turns, the nut siezes up and I'm afraid of stripping something. What a PITA. So, it would appear I'll have to put everything back together and take it to a higher power. This does not happen to me very often, but I know my limits, and I think I've reached it! ARGH!!!
Old 01-30-17, 09:26 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Update. the car sits at the local shop to do this job. I was beaten. Since I did 90% of the labour getting the seats out, it shouldn't cost more than a couple hundy. Their manual quotes the total job at 5.5 hours!

I sure hope the front end goes more smoothly!
Old 01-31-17, 08:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

All done. Shop charged me 550 bucks to install them. Next week (hopefully) I'll get the fronts installed along with all the front control arms. The same shop quoted me 5 hours to do the job. Im almost tempted to let them do it.
Old 02-02-17, 04:51 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Appointment made. Tuesday. They quoted me 5-7 hours which includes replacing ball joints, struts and ALL of the front control arms. I'm supplying all the parts. I figure all in, I'll be out about 1600 dollars - which is great considering what Lexus would have charged me. With the new rear shocks done and all four brakes I did yesterday, she'll feel like a new car.
The following users liked this post:
Ogun360 (09-07-21)
Old 02-02-17, 05:56 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
OMG...what a pain the butt. I removed seat, etc. Now I'm faced with trying to get the strut/shock out, which is making me pull my hair out.I was able to get all the upper nuts off, but the lower part is killin' me. I of course got the lower strut nut off, but I tried removing the strut without removing/disconnecting the sway bar link. No joy. So, I attempted to remove the nut holding it in place. That's where everything comes to a screeching halt. I can't get the nut off. I have the hex key to hold the bolt while removing the nut, buut after a few turns, the nut siezes up and I'm afraid of stripping something. What a PITA. So, it would appear I'll have to put everything back together and take it to a higher power. This does not happen to me very often, but I know my limits, and I think I've reached it! ARGH!!!
Sway bar links are something I just cut right off and replace, I never mess with trying to unbolt them, it usually never works.

Sorry to hear you had a hard time, it's probably best that you had someone do everything for you...between the front and the back, it is a lot of work all added up (although I know you could have handled the control arms, but the ball joint would have been a pain).
Old 02-02-17, 08:01 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Sway bar links are something I just cut right off and replace, I never mess with trying to unbolt them, it usually never works.

Sorry to hear you had a hard time, it's probably best that you had someone do everything for you...between the front and the back, it is a lot of work all added up (although I know you could have handled the control arms, but the ball joint would have been a pain).
If it wasn't for the unseasonable cold weather of late, I would have tackled it all. But even doing my brakes over the last day or so was a challenge. My wife kept bringing out hot tea for me and shaking her head at my resolve. But I've also come into some money from my Dads will. I used to work on his car all the time and I know he would like to see someone do work on my car for me for a change! LOL. So...I'm gonna splurge. He would have liked that.
Old 02-02-17, 08:09 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

My sincere condolences to you and your family Chris. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose one of my parents, but it will.occur one day. I just hope I have the ability and resolve to deal with it.
On a lighter note, I'm sure without question it would bring him joy to know that he was able to assist you in making your life just a little bit easier.
What a blessing that is.
Old 02-02-17, 08:29 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by CRowe14
My sincere condolences to you and your family Chris. I can't imagine what it would be like to lose one of my parents, but it will.occur one day. I just hope I have the ability and resolve to deal with it.
On a lighter note, I'm sure without question it would bring him joy to know that he was able to assist you in making your life just a little bit easier.
What a blessing that is.
Thank you my friend!
The following users liked this post:
CRowe14 (02-03-17)

Quick Reply: LS 460 Rear strut replacement tutorial