LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Which options are most practical?

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 11:02 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,776 Likes on 1,983 Posts

I too have decided that around here at least I don't like dynamic cruise control. My LS460 doesn't have it, but our Kia Sedona van does and our Jeep Grand Cherokee before it did too. Issue is it leaves too much space, people sneak in in front of you and it keeps you falling back, and it doesn't get close enough to pressure drivers in front of you slower than you to get out of your way.

Only works well on wide open freeways, where you really don't need it anyways because they're wide open freeways.

My wife loves it though, I would never choose it as an option myself.
Old 01-26-17, 11:48 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I like the more opulent touch of the semi-aniline leather and memory-enabled, climate-controlled, power, and lumbar massage back seats. The butterfly and power headrests are cool as well. So is the extra wood trim on the rear center vents. Since I almost never sit in the back, I don't use those options much, but somehow they add to the overall specialness of the car.

Inreally didn't purchase my LS460 for practical reasons, mostly just for the sense of enjoyment. My 1984 Celica GT-S Liftback and my LS460 are my favorite cars I've owned, but for different reasons.
Old 01-26-17, 12:14 PM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

I use radar cruise only in highways and with the shortest distance setting, it's works perfectly.

Many here have/like to have semi-aniline leather. Just curious, what is so special about semi-aniline leather?. The reason for my question is my car came with that (even though I didn't specifically look for it), don't know what to appreciate of that interior ?????
Old 01-26-17, 12:18 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I didn't read all the replies, but wanted to mention ... how many times have you ever stuffed the trunk so full that the chill box would be an issue? Me? Never. But other people, what once ... twice? I don't find the missing space in the trunk to be an issue at all. JMHO.

Jason
Old 01-26-17, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by satiger
I use radar cruise only in highways and with the shortest distance setting, it's works perfectly.

Many here have/like to have semi-aniline leather. Just curious, what is so special about semi-aniline leather?. The reason for my question is my car came with that (even though I didn't specifically look for it), don't know what to appreciate of that interior ?????
It's just a much nicer grade of leather. Much softer, higher end feeling. I've had both, the difference is substantial.
The following users liked this post:
satiger (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 01:22 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
I didn't read all the replies, but wanted to mention ... how many times have you ever stuffed the trunk so full that the chill box would be an issue? Me? Never. But other people, what once ... twice? I don't find the missing space in the trunk to be an issue at all. JMHO.

Jason
I understand, Jason. For us, with a 5-year-old, we still carry a jogging stroller in the trunk. In the LS 430 trunk (which is already 10% larger than LS 460 base trunk) we easily fill it up weekly on Costco runs and/or shopping for supplies for my wife's practice. On the Disneyland trip we just barely fit three suitcases in the trunk. We're pack rats I guess, or rather paranoid people and try to prepare for all cases. We also keep a potty seat in the trunk (or on the rear floor; this is where an L would really come in handy) for emergencies when you can't wait until the next freeway exit.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's just a much nicer grade of leather. Much softer, higher end feeling. I've had both, the difference is substantial.
Glad you enjoyed the quotes, satiger. To piggyback on Steve's reply, I also like the Semi-aniline leather upgrade because you get more leather on the doors instead of the base rubber/plastic. Really adds to the specialness and luxury of the car. It does annoy me a little bit that my wife has leather on her door armrest on her 2006 ES, yet my 2006 LS 430 does not. My LS 430 door armrest feels just like our previous Sienna.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-26-17 at 02:56 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 01:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

That depends on the year. With the 13 refresh all of them have stitched doors and dash whether they have the upgrade or not.
Old 01-26-17, 01:30 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Jason
Although I have read it many times, I don't understand why everyone feels that the chill box option is hogging all the trunk space. Unlike the S-class cool box, which is actually refrigerated and sticks out oddly inside the trunk compartment, the LS cool box is just supplied with cold air from the rear AC unit, and the trunk itself has a normal appearance (unlike the S), albeit small. I thought a combination of the mechanisms for the reclining seats and the rear AC contributes to the smaller trunk.

I can assure you that the UltraLux trunk is indeed small, having owned a regular 2012 SWB previously. I have stuffed it to the gills with bags and suitcases, and what not, every time we travel to Iowa. I should remember to take a picture for you the next time. But the small trunk does force us to travel a bit light, which is a good thing!
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (01-26-17)
Old 01-26-17, 01:32 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

That depends on the year. With the 13 refresh all of them have stitched doors and dash whether they have the upgrade or not.
Ah yes, very true. I did notice that when perusing 2013+ cars for sale. Unfortunately, 2013+ is almost twice what we'd pay for a 2010 and don't feel it's twice the car. That said, 2013+ is beautiful inside and out.
Old 01-26-17, 01:38 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I may upgrade to a '14 F-Sport in the future. If anyone is interested in a macked out '10 with less than 30k miles...
Old 01-26-17, 01:41 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Although I have read it many times, I don't understand why everyone feels that the chill box option is hogging all the trunk space. Unlike the S-class cool box, which is actually refrigerated and sticks out oddly inside the trunk compartment, the LS cool box is just supplied with cold air from the rear AC unit, and the trunk itself has a normal appearance (unlike the S), albeit small. I thought a combination of the mechanisms for the reclining seats and the rear AC contributes to the smaller trunk.

I can assure you that the UltraLux trunk is indeed small, having owned a regular 2012 SWB previously. I have stuffed it to the gills with bags and suitcases, and what not, every time we travel to Iowa. I should remember to take a picture for you the next time. But the small trunk does force us to travel a bit light, which is a good thing!
You're right that it's mostly the rear AC unit that is the space hog, comotiger, but just easier to refer to the chill box since both features are usually paired together as part of the package.
On models with only Rear-reclining seats, I do not notice any reduction in trunk space and have measured it and tested with our jogging stroller situated in the back rectangular area. When models have the full rear seat upgrade with rear AC and chill box then you lose a noticeable amount of space. At least enough for it to be a concern for us. Although there's more interior space in the L, I don't necessarily always want to consider it as a backup trunk.

EDIT: You can imagine my utter glee when I read about the Tesla frunk!

EDIT 2: comotiger, maybe the trunk is shaped differently on your 2014 but the 2007/2008 LS 460Ls I've looked at all have an oddly shaped protrusion or bulge in the trunk when equipped with the rear AC. I understand 2009 got clever with packaging the hybrid battery to free up additional trunk space in the 600hL, I'm not sure if that also frees up trunk space with just the rear AC and if it eliminated the bulge.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 01-26-17 at 02:25 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 02:26 PM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
Jungle, two points.

1) I didn't know you could turn off radar cruise and use in standard cruise mode. How do you switch? I remember reading about this somewhere...
Yes you can. I don't remember how, but when I first got my car I did try it out, and thought why would I ever use regular cruise control.

A funny story, when I got my new LS, I still had my '95 Infiniti Q45a. So one time in that car with the standard CC on I'm coming up on a car and I'm waiting for the car to slow down. Then I suddenly realize, oh, I'm in the wrong car, I'd better hit the brake!

Last edited by Nospinzone; 01-26-17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 01-26-17, 02:35 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 324 Likes on 282 Posts

How about durability of the semi-aniline leather? I've been totally underwhelmed with the durability of Lexus (Toyota) leather. My 1999 RX300 had to have both front seat cushion and seat back covers replaced before the original 4 year warranty expired due to creasing and eventually cracking of the leather. I also find it quite inconsistent. My LS460 seats looks excellent after 10 years but every other one I have seen has deep creases and/or cracks throughout the seating surfaces. This is true of most every other used Lexus (2-3 years or older) I've seen. I don't think any of the commercial cleaners or conditioners change this either. Domestic cars don't seem to have this problem although I don't think they will be as carefully lavished and pampered as an LS!
Old 01-26-17, 02:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by sktn77a
How about durability of the semi-aniline leather? I've been totally underwhelmed with the durability of Lexus (Toyota) leather. My 1999 RX300 had to have both front seat cushion and seat back covers replaced before the original 4 year warranty expired due to creasing and eventually cracking of the leather. I also find it quite inconsistent. My LS460 seats looks excellent after 10 years but every other one I have seen has deep creases and/or cracks throughout the seating surfaces. This is true of most every other used Lexus (2-3 years or older) I've seen. I don't think any of the commercial cleaners or conditioners change this either. Domestic cars don't seem to have this problem although I don't think they will be as carefully lavished and pampered as an LS!
In my experience its more durable too. Our LS430 had it, and my GS350 had it. Both looked newer longer than the standard leather has in my current LS460. Leather in my Kia Sedona van is also considerably better, its nappa semi aniline.

If I had it to do over again thats the one option I would have found, the semi-aniline leather.
Old 01-26-17, 02:52 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Nospinzone
Yes you can. I don't remember how, but when I first got my car I did try it out, and thought why would I ever use regular cruise control.

A funny story, when I got my new LS, I still had my '95 Infiniti Q45a. So one time in that car with the standard CC on I'm coming up on a car and I'm waiting for the car to slow down. Then I suddenly realize, oh, I'm in the wrong car, I'd better hit the brake!
I posted this earlier in response to him, but I believe you simply press the cruise stalk forward that is towards the dashboard and that is that for switching to standard cruise control.

Quick Reply: Which options are most practical?