LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

30,000 Mile Service Prices

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-17, 07:55 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

I have no doubt that the Lexus dealer will actually do the work lol.

And actually youd you'd be surprised to know dealers make more money on service than sales, so even if you didn't buy the car from them, they want your service business.

Big benefit of the independent mechanic is I have no doubt the tech working on the car will be more experienced, given that it's just him and one other mechanic.
Old 01-26-17, 09:08 PM
Duck05
Pole Position

Received 365 Likes on 246 Posts

We are fortunate to have a good independent shop that specializes in Honda/Acura/Toyota/Lexus and they are trusted with the "fleet". The 30K service for the LS460 was $222.

Oil change with synthetic, both air filters, cabin filter, and all of the inspections with tire rotation.
Old 01-26-17, 09:24 PM
dlbuckls10
Racer

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

That's incredible considering you are in the state of California. Thumbs up.
Old 01-27-17, 02:08 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Been thinking about this more, the $499 price is really not terrible. Full synthetic oil change is going to be about $100 wherever you go (even if you bought the oil,yourself it would be $50), $50 to rotate and balance the tires. Up to $150. $50 for each of the filters including part and labor, $250. $100 to flush the brake system. $350. Replacing the battery in the key, say $20 for that, so $370. the inspections and road test, 30 min for that dealers labor rate is $140, so $70. So $440. $499 isn't terrible, and t my dealer I have a 20% off coupon so it's $399. If my independent is $300 or more I may just have the dealer do it.
Have you ever considered changing the key batteries and air and cabin filters yourself? It'd probably take you twenty minutes over a weekend and $35 bucks. Then you wouldn't need a "30,000 miles service". You could just drop it off at your independent for an oil change, rotate balance and brake fluid flush...maybe cost you $200-$240. Every Walmart within thirty miles of me carries LS460 air and cabin filters...and my local Walgreens carries the key fob batteries for six bucks. Just a thought. I know you're not going to save yourself a ton of money but these 30,000 mile services seem more like cash grabs to me. I would think your independent could do a rotation, oil change and brake flush in an hour and fifteen minutes of you had an appointment.
Old 01-27-17, 07:14 AM
rogers2
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
When I purchased my LX470 around 2012, I did have a Toyota dealership do the crucial timing belt/water pump replacement and also had them baseline all the fluids as it was a 1999 and only had 70,000 miles, but had neither seen a Lexus or Toyota dealer since 2001.

Never thought about Toyota being able to work on something like the LS460 with it sharing nothing with anything offered by Toyota. Things like oil changes, tire rotation and so forth of course I would never give it a second thought. And looking at the description of the 30k service, none of the items outlined would give me pause.

Provided they provide a rental here as well, I will give serious thought about next tome I need an oil change perhaps giving it a shot. That said, my dealer always gives me a loaner car even when only an oil change and the car wash they provide is quite decent and they even provide tire dressing.

For regular oil, they charge $39.99. However, since the PO used full synthetic every 5000 miles since after the factory fill, I will continue to do so. That and I always end up using synthetic anyway.
You will never get a 39.99 oil change at Lexus of Silver Spring. I think my last oil change was over 100 dollars.
Old 01-27-17, 07:23 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by rogers2
You will never get a 39.99 oil change at Lexus of Silver Spring. I think my last oil change was over 100 dollars.
Wow. Wouldn't shock me if it is part of the cost of living thing as after living in relatively expensive places to live to coming back here, I was surprised how much cheaper many things are here.

That said, I think the $39.99 thing is to obviously find other things to fix like charging a half hour of labor for changing a bloody air filter. I actually just recently let them do that as somewhat of a continued goodwill offering as more often than not I just get the oil change while still getting a loaner. That said, I never have used the well oil and this past time was the first that I did not provide my own. And of course they put in the wrong oil and they had to redo it with TGMO.
Old 01-27-17, 07:36 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
I have no doubt that the Lexus dealer will actually do the work

Neither did the people whose cars were not fully serviced as shown on the receipt. Trust me, this is far more common than you would like to suppose.
A fave is the $475.00 alignment which somehow didn't disturb the rust & dirt on any of the adjusters.
I can tell you I brought one of my LS430's in for an oil smell. Turns out both vale gaskets were leaking. They charged me $850 to do both sides which I paid. A couple weeks later I took the car to my friend to do the spark plus since I felt a dealer wasn't needed for such a simple job. I wanted to watch him take out the plugs because I wanted to see how dirty they are. Immediately we saw the leaking was still occurring. Took the car back to Lexus were head service manager put it up on lift. As soon as they opened one of the plastic doors on the underside splash shield the oil poured out the bottom on to the floor it was dripping so bad. After acknowledging the work was either never done or done incompetently I was promptly refunded my $850 with no argument and I never returned. I learned my lesson, never be so trusting just because they are a Lexus dealer.
Old 01-27-17, 07:52 AM
Rhambler
Lexus Test Driver

Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

The first price you mentioned actually isn't bad, especially if you consider the going labor rate. I have no idea what it is, assuming it's $150 per hour, for example, there's probably at least an hour of inspection alone for these big services. Two techs to do the brake flush maybe or maybe they have a machine to bleed.

Audi's have huge services every 15k miles as well that cost $800-$1000 for A7 and S7 respectively, when I checked. All just inspection stuff mainly, although you can prepay Audicare and cut that in half.
Old 01-27-17, 08:28 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

Great information, thanks for sharing, SW15LS.

Approaching 30,000 miles on my LS, I'm going to have my independent mechanic do this service but just for grins I thought I would call around and get some prices from local dealers for giggles. Oh, I giggled.

So so what is the service? Oil change, tire rotation, flush brake fluid, cabin air filter, engine air filter, smart key battery. Then of course lots of "inspections" of brakes, suspension components, differential oil, so on and so forth. But the meat and potatoes are those items above.

First I call my dealer I usually use, Lexus of Rockville. Their cost is $499. Yikes right? Just wait.

Next i I call my second closest dealer, Lexus of Silver Spring. Their cost? $639.

Next I call Lexus of Alexandria who I've bought cars from before, generally too far away to use for service. $652.

To to close it out I called Lexus of Annapolis where I bought my ES300 back in the day. Nice place, too far for service. Their cost? Are you sitting down? $790

Havent called my guy yet to see what he'll charge me, my guess is $300 or so.

So, call around before you pay for service! I would give the dealer the $500 vs $300, plus I can use a 20% off coupon that brings that delta down to $100. For that $100-200 I get the loaner, the convenience, the nice experience....but $800?!
Old 01-27-17, 08:49 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

A 30,000 mile service can include different things at different shops. Volvo called for valve adjust at 30k in the older cars. They were never out of adjustment and the gaskets were almost impossible to get off so for 15 years the gaskets were given out by the parts department then thrown away by the mechanics. No way management was going to lower the price of a 30k or the parts department not get the sale of the gasket. A dealer can and will add or leave out certain parts of the manufacture's schedule at their own discretion. Also what is done even if its supposed to be included is anybody's guess. The most common things not done are fluid changes like trans and brakes and diffs. Most of the time the air filters and oil are done but who's gonna know if the trans or brake fluid or diff fluids were done? The flat rate system is in place at every dealer. A good portion of the independent shop mechanics work on salary. This doesn't mean they wouldn't skip a nasty job if they thought they would not get caught. I hate to be negative and most mechanics would never skip doing the work but a guy or girl on salary is probably a better bet for the work getting done.
As for Duck05's 30,000 mile service there is no way they did the filters and synthetic oil change and brake flush for $225. Maybe if they used regular oil. Synthetic oil was never used in my car till I bought it at 80k. The dealer who serviced it exclusively used regular oil every 5,000 miles.

Sales, Service, Parts, (Finance, without question the dirtiest seat in the dealership) I have seen it all brother and let me say it is not for the faint of heart. The finance guys would brag about how they would invert the sale price numbers. You agreed on $25,700 with the salesman. They would do the paperwork at $27,500. If caught they would say sorry for the mistake. The finance guy was allowed to keep a good portion or the slight of hand overage. Just like the service advisors got a big piece of the overage they charged customers as they were allowed to charge anybody anything they thought they could get. These were just a couple of the list of tricks the consulting company our owner paid 100k to taught the management at our dealership.

Last edited by Kennyr44; 01-27-17 at 09:08 AM.
Old 01-27-17, 08:52 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 313 Likes on 272 Posts

And actually you'd you'd be surprised to know dealers make more money on service than sales, so even if you didn't buy the car from them, they want your service business.
So true. Since Consumer Reports started giving out invoice prices back in the 80's dealers have been making very little on new car sales. They survive on service charges and used car sales.

"Pay me now or pay me later!"

Old 01-27-17, 09:26 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,729 Likes on 1,955 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Have you ever considered changing the key batteries and air and cabin filters yourself? It'd probably take you twenty minutes over a weekend and $35 bucks. Then you wouldn't need a "30,000 miles service". You could just drop it off at your independent for an oil change, rotate balance and brake fluid flush...maybe cost you $200-$240. Every Walmart within thirty miles of me carries LS460 air and cabin filters...and my local Walgreens carries the key fob batteries for six bucks. Just a thought. I know you're not going to save yourself a ton of money but these 30,000 mile services seem more like cash grabs to me. I would think your independent could do a rotation, oil change and brake flush in an hour and fifteen minutes of you had an appointment.
I could, but if the filters are going to cost me $20 each, quite frankly I'd rather pay the extra $50-60 and not have to go to Walmart or screw around with it. I basically work 7 days a week, and time I have off I'd rather spend it with my family or do something to the car I enjoy, like washing it.

Originally Posted by rogers2
Originally Posted by Junglequac
Wow. Wouldn't shock me if it is part of the cost of living thing as after living in relatively expensive places to live to coming back here, I was surprised how much cheaper many things are here.
Bear in mind we're talking about a synthetic oil change here. I was at an AutoZone today buying something and Mobil 1 synthetic oil is $38 for a 5 quart jug, you need 2 to do an oil change on an LS460, so thats $76 plus tax just for the oil. You're not going to find a synthetic oil change for $38, they would be loosing money.

Originally Posted by kitabel
Neither did the people whose cars were not fully serviced as shown on the receipt. Trust me, this is far more common than you would like to suppose.
A fave is the $475.00 alignment which somehow didn't disturb the rust & dirt on any of the adjusters.
I'm sure this does happen, but to call it common or typical is a huge stretch IMHO. I've been using this dealer for 15 years, they're expensive but they aren't dishonest.
Old 01-27-17, 01:16 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

I think I read somewhere that some dealerships are trying to counter the "dishonest" or "incomplete" service reputation by installing large windows or video cams (live streaming) that look into the service bays so that the customer can watch what is being done on their car. Even if the customer is away with a loaner, they would have the option of watching the service on the web. Is this for real? Has anyone experienced this? My St. Louis Lexus dealer does not do either. Of course, many people may have no clue whether the proper work is being done, but it's something. So, I guess we just have to trust the dealer (or an indy shop) to do the work sincerely.
Old 01-27-17, 01:47 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

I've gone both the dealer and independent route for scheduled maintenance. In some ways, if the price differential isn't that great, I'm more comfortable going with the dealer, mostly because of the possibility of CPO issues arising and getting detected during the inspection process, but I make a case-by-case decision. My independent usually has loaner cars available. They are older (typically a decade or more) but nice cars, including a Mercedes E320 and a Lexus LS430. The interiors are well-worn, but mechanically (of course) they are fine.

Still, I'm happy to have the 2016 Lexus NX200t loaner for the week-long vacation my car is having at the dealer. Still, it would take a much nicer replacement than this to equal my 2010 LS460.
Old 01-29-17, 11:43 PM
dchar
Lexus Champion

Received 225 Likes on 179 Posts

Originally Posted by comotiger
I think I read somewhere that some dealerships are trying to counter the "dishonest" or "incomplete" service reputation by installing large windows or video cams (live streaming) that look into the service bays so that the customer can watch what is being done on their car. Even if the customer is away with a loaner, they would have the option of watching the service on the web. Is this for real? Has anyone experienced this? My St. Louis Lexus dealer does not do either. Of course, many people may have no clue whether the proper work is being done, but it's something. So, I guess we just have to trust the dealer (or an indy shop) to do the work sincerely.
I was impressed of how big and open the service department was at Longo Lexus. I have never been to a dealer with such an open view of the service bay. The dealer is quite far from my house, but they offer a service (if you bought the car from them, which I did) where they will send someone to your house/work (within 50 miles, but I've heard them go further) to perform simple services like oil changes, filters, and tire rotations on the spot. If it requires the actual shop, they will flatbed a loaner to you, flatbed your car to the dealer to fix it, and bring it back to you when it's done...no additional charge for these services. They state, "There is no additional fee to our Mobile Service beyond the price of the actual service being performed." I will price them for when I need 20K and 30K service to see if they differ in price from my local dealer.

The following users liked this post:
comotiger (01-30-17)

Quick Reply: 30,000 Mile Service Prices