LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-17, 08:15 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Let us know what the PPI comes back with!
Originally Posted by comotiger
Oh, let the extended warranty debate begin again

In this particular case, Fto1 cannot buy a Lexus Platinum warranty, and replacing the air suspension, the most expensive repair with this car, will not be covered by 3rd party warranties. At 70K miles, some CAs have been replaced, and the rest can be replaced relatively cheaply by his indy shop. Being an UltraLux, other things could potentially go bad in the next 50K miles. Nevertheless, "investing" 3K on an extended warranty that won't cover air suspension is not wise because he still won't have peace of mind. The calculus would have been completely different if Fto1 were considering a Lexus Platinum warranty that many here (including myself) have purchased because it covers all suspension and interior components.

We all agree that the Platinum or CPO warrranty is essentially insurance and provides peace of mind, especially for a fully optioned LS. Since Fto1's car isn't eligible, I agree that he should forgo any warranty.

P.S. I hope the PPI goes well. I am a bit concerned by the underbody "damage" in the service record at 44263 miles, and the casual reference to front CA replacement at 62715 miles. There is no record of when and where they were replaced.
Hi Wandl/comotiger, the PPI went well. There were zero current or pending codes. There were several historical codes but those issues could have been corrected and the car has not been driven enough "travel cycles" (42 to be exact and it can't just be 42 engine restarts) for the ECU to reset the codes. My mechanic did not find anything else of major concern except the front brake pads are close to reaching the sensor indicators and so he recommends replacing the front pads and machining the front rotors before it becomes more expensive requiring a new brake pad sensor.

Our whole family has seen the car and we feel confident in the condition of the car. Despite the "underbody damage" in the service history, my mechanic didn't find anything of significant concern and the car rides and drives incredibly well. Yes, one or two under carriage panels showed some markings and scrapes but the mechanic said it was cosmetic and that the frame and other parts are fine. If I really wanted to , he said the protective panels can be replaced for $40. We are comfortable moving forward with the purchase on our end. The ball is in the seller's court to see if they will accept our request to cover the front brake service at $290.

Comotiger, and others, may be right about the warranty. We are restricted to 3rd-party options and so we'll just set aside some self-warranty monies. Hope to be able to post "new owner photos" soon.

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-21-17 at 08:41 PM.
Old 02-21-17, 08:37 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

I have test driven the 2013 LS SWB for 1.5 hours and over 60 miles these past four days. Glad that it is a SWB because the 2013 already feels bigger on the outside than the LS 430. Perhaps I just need time to get used to the dimensions because I remember driving the LS 430 very slowly at the beginning of ownership too.

The faint whine that I was paying attention to earlier this morning sounded more like induction or intake whistle in the afternoon when I went to return the car. Nothing too noisy or distracting. I also paid closer attention to the headliner today. The 2013 LS 460 headliner does feel velvety and suede-like and I like it. I didn't pay enough attention to it last Saturday and assumed it was like the wooly headliner in our LS 430 (which I'm not particularly enamored with). Maybe our LS 430 doesn't have alcantara (and maybe not Ecru premium leather) like I thought it did.

I spent more time in Normal suspension mode in the afternoon while returning the car. I thought I would like Comfort more but Comfort tends to exhibit more wallowing and boat-like motions that I felt on some 2007 and 2008 models. I really like how Sport+ tightens everything up and the suspension motions feel more buttoned down. I just wish Sport+ didn't revert back to Normal during startup.

At first I felt the 2013 460 brakes are too grabby, and they are. After returning the car and stepping back into our LS 430 it felt like I had to step on the brake pedal all the way down to get any kind of slow down. I loved how smooth the brake travel is on the LS 430 but coming straight out of a 460 it immediately felt like I had no brake pressure in the 430, lol. Hard to say which seats are more comfortable. I do like the new 2013+ seats and they have better lateral support and bolstering but getting back into the LS 430 felt just as comfortable, like sitting in your favorite recliner. The 2013 LS 460 structure does feel more solid and there's definitely a sense of more weight to the car. The LS 430 is still a great car and sets the bar pretty high, and that's probably why I didn't feel as confident about pulling the trigger on a 2007 or 2011 LS. With the 2013 LS, the improvements over the 430 are more distinct and clear.
Old 02-21-17, 09:32 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 295 Likes on 253 Posts

Thanks for the update, Fatherto1. You must be very stoked to buy this car. I am sure you have done a lot of checking on KBB/NADA etc. and decided upon a purchase price. I hope that the negotiations go well, and that you will be driving it in a few days. Good luck!
Old 02-21-17, 10:09 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Thanks for the update, Fatherto1. You must be very stoked to buy this car. I am sure you have done a lot of checking on KBB/NADA etc. and decided upon a purchase price. I hope that the negotiations go well, and that you will be driving it in a few days. Good luck!
Thank you, comotiger. Yes, I am very excited to purchase this car. The wife thinks the Flaxen interior is so unique and "something [she] has never seen before". My parents also think Nebula Gray is a great color and my Dad particularly likes the elegant taillights. My parents are happy that we are getting a newer 2013 model year instead of 2007.

The seller contacted us a moment ago and both sides have agreed on the purchase price. I will share more details after we close the sale. Let's just hope nothing happens between now and Friday to derail the deal (I mean, unless it is a very good reason not to move forward). I am in training the next two days at work and the seller is working to have the title ready at the bank branch by Friday. I will probably take Friday off from work to close the deal. I will be back with a final update.

Thank you to everyone for their advice, guidance, support, and patience. The quest is nearing the end. Great team effort, everyone!

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-21-17 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 03:07 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thank you, comotiger. Yes, I am very excited to purchase this car. The wife thinks the Flaxen interior is so unique and "something [she] has never seen before". My parents also think Nebula Gray is a great color and my Dad particularly likes the elegant taillights. My parents are happy that we are getting a newer 2013 model year instead of 2007.

The seller contacted us a moment ago and both sides have agreed on the purchase price. I will share more details after we close the sale. Let's just hope nothing happens between now and Friday to derail the deal (I mean, unless it is a very good reason not to move forward). I am in training the next two days at work and the seller is working to have the title ready at the bank branch by Friday. I will probably take Friday off from work to close the deal. I will be back with a final update.

Thank you to everyone for their advice, guidance, support, and patience. The quest is nearing the end. Great team effort, everyone!
Congrats! It has been quite a journey and I applaud your patience. Color combowise, you hit a home run. And you are on the right path about 3rd party warranties. The only good one that I know of is CarMax's, but then of course you have to pay a huge premium compared to most places to purchase the car in the first place.
Old 02-22-17, 05:14 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Congrats! It's a great car.

My only suggestion is don't machine the rotors, replace them. They are prone to warping anyways, and the rotors are only about $160 total. Machining the rotors will just accelerate that warping.

I just replaced my pads and rotors with centric premium rotors and centric posi-quiet pads and find the brakes feel much better, and less grabby. Roadfrog just made the same repair with the same parts. If I were you I would order these parts we used and have your mechanic do the brake job using these parts.
Old 02-22-17, 06:32 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Congrats! It's a great car.

My only suggestion is don't machine the rotors, replace them. They are prone to warping anyways, and the rotors are only about $160 total. Machining the rotors will just accelerate that warping.

I just replaced my pads and rotors with centric premium rotors and centric posi-quiet pads and find the brakes feel much better, and less grabby. Roadfrog just made the same repair with the same parts. If I were you I would order these parts we used and have your mechanic do the brake job using these parts.
An immense thank you to you, Steve, Junglequac, comotiger, Gbp, and roadfrog for sticking with me throughout this whole process (and ordeal at times).

Thank you for the Centric reminder too! I saw roadfrog's write up about replacing the brake pads and rotors a few weeks back and said to myself "that's what I'm gonna do too" and then I completely forgot! I'll go back to roadfrog's post to find where he purchased from and will order the exact part numbers. Thanks again!
Old 02-22-17, 06:38 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

I wonder if the less grabby Centric rotors and pads will wear better. It seems the OEM pads have been replaced twice already and only lasted 20K miles (based on the service history) for both the first and second owners. Could be driving style and weight of the car that contributes to it but the current owner likes to drive in ECO most of the time. The OEM pads lasted about 60K miles on my wife's ES 330, same duration as our previous Sienna and the minivan is quite heavy. Looking forward to trying Centric brand.
Old 02-22-17, 07:02 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

My only suggestion is don't machine the rotors, replace them.
This. I've had a good few weeks of driving on the Centric rotors and Posi-Quiet pads. They are great. So smooth and very linear braking. No more grabbing. The company you want to check out is Rock Auto. I price shopped and they were the best. Good customer service and they back their products. Make sure you get the Centric PREMIUM rotors. They're treated and more robust than the standard rotors for a only a tad more $$. Turning rotors are a stop-gap, especially on the factory rotors which, as Steve stated, are prone to warping - even more so when turning the rotors makes them thinner. Congrats on the car.....
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (02-22-17)
Old 02-22-17, 08:01 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by roadfrog
This. I've had a good few weeks of driving on the Centric rotors and Posi-Quiet pads. They are great. So smooth and very linear braking. No more grabbing. The company you want to check out is Rock Auto. I price shopped and they were the best. Good customer service and they back their products. Make sure you get the Centric PREMIUM rotors. They're treated and more robust than the standard rotors for a only a tad more $$. Turning rotors are a stop-gap, especially on the factory rotors which, as Steve stated, are prone to warping - even more so when turning the rotors makes them thinner. Congrats on the car.....
Thank you, road frog. Does anyone have the exact part number for the Centric Premium rotors for a 2013 LS 460 (or is it all the same for 2007-2017)? I listed the prospective make and model but have multiple listings for "Premium". I am assuming F-Sport does not apply, correct? Still, there is Rear (base; L), and Left Rear...would I buy two rears or specific corners? Just planning ahead, I still have to secure the car first. Thank you!

EDIT: Upon closer inspection, I think I should just get two "Rear, RWD". The Left Rear and Right Rear must be for AWD, consistent with how the front corners are labeled. The individual rear corners just don't list AWD but that is probably what is meant.

Old 02-22-17, 08:27 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,740 Likes on 1,961 Posts

Is yours RWD? The parts for the 2013+ are different than roadfrogs, I noticed that when I ordered mine.

In your picture posted above assuming yours is RWD you want the third from the bottom, 12044148. Mine is AWD so mine were side specific but it doesn't look like they are for the RWD. Were yours side specific roadfrog?

What you want are the front rotors not the rear rotors, unless you want to do all 4 corners.
Old 02-22-17, 10:38 AM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

@FatherTo1:

Congratulations on your upcoming purchase! It's been an interesting journey.

Club Lexus and its participants are an amazing resource.
Old 02-22-17, 11:14 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

From the sounds of it, there will be need for a congratulations in the very near future!
Very great to hear and I know how patient you've been throughout this process..and it appears that it has paid off!
Regarding the brakes, I can vouch for the Centric rotors as well. I went with a bit of a different set-up (Centric rotors, Akebono pads), and its not on my LS, its on my wifes Pilot, but the braking is incredibly linear, smooth and quiet.
Congrats once again and cant wait to see the photos!
Old 02-22-17, 12:22 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Is yours RWD? The parts for the 2013+ are different than roadfrogs, I noticed that when I ordered mine.

In your picture posted above assuming yours is RWD you want the third from the bottom, 12044148. Mine is AWD so mine were side specific but it doesn't look like they are for the RWD. Were yours side specific roadfrog?

What you want are the front rotors not the rear rotors, unless you want to do all 4 corners.
Thanks, Steve. Yes, it is RWD. I will definitely get the fronts but was also thinking to get the rears too and replace them soon because current rears are at 6mm. I may just do them all at once for a fresh start. Thank you for pointing out the correct part numbers.
Old 02-22-17, 12:27 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks, Steve. Yes, it is RWD. I will definitely get the fronts but was also thinking to get the rears too and replace them soon because current rears are at 6mm. I may just do them all at once for a fresh start. Thank you for pointing out the correct part numbers.
That's what I did. It also makes sense, given the thrifty cost of these parts. Especially if you're a DIY'er........tools are already out, jack or stands are out, hands are already dirty.....might as well get 'er done.

Quick Reply: 460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom