LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-17, 08:03 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

No, I don't have the semi aniline leather and my airbag cover isn't leather stitched. It's a very common option though, the only one I really wished I had. It was only $500...
Old 02-18-17, 09:00 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 76 Likes on 56 Posts

Standing 6'5 I usually like to see if I can fit behind my set drivers seat. The 430 feels slightly wider and somewhat taller while leg room is very close. Although the diminsions favor the 430, the roofline 460 has coupe like feeling even though it has decent sized cut outs in the headliner that clear my height.

The 430 trunk is larger by 2 sq ft and feels more cavernous. The 460 trunk looks taller but doesn't seem as wide in some spots. I'm referring to standard sized trunks. I miss the spare tire bucket and separate tool kit in the 430.

Originally Posted by SW15LS
You can tell it has the semi aniline leather because it has the alcantara headliner, and because it has a leather stitched airbag cover on the steering wheel.

I like the alcanatara headliner, but I also really like my standard headliner. Very rich also.
I believe the standard headliner is called Escaine. It does feel nice and seems to have a high thread count. I like the Alcantara in my 430 more.

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 02-18-17 at 09:13 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 09:21 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
I miss the spare tire bucket and separate tool kit in the 430.
Van, doesn't the 460 have a spare tire bucket and separate tool kit too? I looked under the trunk mat this morning of the 2013 460 and saw a full-size 19-inch spare tire, with matching rim style, plus assorted tire tools. I recall 2007-2012 also had the same spare and tool offerings as the 430. Am I misunderstanding something?
Old 02-18-17, 09:27 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,981 Posts

It has a tool kit, but it's not in a snazzy little valise like on he 400 and 430, and the spare is mounted face up so no storage bucket. The tools are stored in a styrofoam cover over the spare tire face.
Old 02-18-17, 09:28 PM
AznRacer
Instructor

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Van, doesn't the 460 have a spare tire bucket and separate tool kit too? I looked under the trunk mat this morning of the 2013 460 and saw a full-size 19-inch spare tire, with matching rim style, plus assorted tire tools. I recall 2007-2012 also had the same spare and tool offerings as the 430. Am I misunderstanding something?
07-17 have same spare set up and the 430 have full size spare with the tools inside a little black box

Last edited by AznRacer; 02-18-17 at 09:35 PM.
Old 02-18-17, 10:08 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

It still contains all the same tools as the 430 just no separate case. Too bad we didn't have the JDM option which would net more trunk space.

Or

Last edited by VanCityLS4; 02-18-17 at 10:13 PM.
Old 02-19-17, 04:19 AM
Nospinzone
Forum Moderator

Received 431 Likes on 333 Posts

Originally Posted by Kansas
But, OH ... MY, the Panamera is wonderful to drive! My wife and I both test drove an "inexpensive" (retail $96K including about $20K of options) Panamera 4 last fall. I was stunned at how comfortable it was and how much fun it was to drive. I want one, I want one, I want one! I got on some gravel and the AWD effortlessly clawed its way through it as I zoomed up to speed. I instantly felt comfortable flinging it around corners and curves. My wife liked it although she was nervous driving it. The SWB Panamera has a little over two inches less rear legroom than the SWB LS460 but I could live with that to get the fun as long as we kept our Sienna for when we needed more passenger space.

I thought I had lost most of my enthusiasm for cars but the Panamera completely changed my mind. My wife says I've had enough nice cars for one lifetime but said maybe I could get a Panamera for my 70th birthday if I still want one. I should get that in writing! I got a new 1990 LS400 as an early 40th birthday present so 70 is not that far away.
Interesting. My wife has her eyes on that car as her next one. I've never been in one, but to me it doesn't look like it has good visibility, particularly rearward.
Old 02-19-17, 05:26 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Thanks, Steve! Can't wait for Monday. It is flaxen interior with the shimamoku wood. I find the combo works well together. I really like that the ventilated/cooled seats actually produce a true draft, as opposed to the barely functional ventilated seats in the 430 and earlier 460s.

Hello Fatherto1, let's hope you finally found your dream car! It looks great. It's certainly unusual to have the reclining seats in a SWB. The trunk is still fairly deep, so it probably doesn't have the rear AC (do you have AC vents above the rear doors, next to the grab handles?). Since "your" car has air suspension, you should factor in the cost of buying an extended warranty from Lexus before the CPO warranty runs out. Check the warranty threads. And if you get this car, you should consider installing those gorgeous 10 inch DVD players with the OEM look that Natelw just installed. Your kids will thank you! I hope you are able to negotiate a good deal. Good luck!
Old 02-19-17, 05:40 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

FT1,
That is simply an awesome looking 460. Love the ext/int combo and always pretty awesome to have a rather uniquely optioned model to boot. It appears to be an excellent compromise in terms of the myriad parameters you have set out in your quest.

While I know you started out really being set on white, I personally think Nebula Grey might be the one of the best if not the best colors offered throughout the entire run of the 460. While I love the Obsidian Black on mine, it is going to be a constant struggle to keep the swirl marks and surface scratches at bay. If not for the constant attention required to keep Obsidian up to snuff, it is my personal fave.

Fingers crossed that this will be the one for you as it really appears to be a stellar example and an outstanding color combo.
Old 02-19-17, 08:48 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Just for clarification on those two pics above, I see a compressor in the first one. My setup is similar, but no compressor or nylon bag as seen in the pic. What year/model is that? Is that the JDM option referred to?
The following users liked this post:
dlbuckls10 (02-19-17)
Old 02-19-17, 10:54 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by comotiger
Hello Fatherto1, let's hope you finally found your dream car! It looks great. It's certainly unusual to have the reclining seats in a SWB. The trunk is still fairly deep, so it probably doesn't have the rear AC (do you have AC vents above the rear doors, next to the grab handles?). Since "your" car has air suspension, you should factor in the cost of buying an extended warranty from Lexus before the CPO warranty runs out. Check the warranty threads. And if you get this car, you should consider installing those gorgeous 10 inch DVD players with the OEM look that Natelw just installed. Your kids will thank you! I hope you are able to negotiate a good deal. Good luck!
Originally Posted by Junglequac
FT1,
That is simply an awesome looking 460. Love the ext/int combo and always pretty awesome to have a rather uniquely optioned model to boot. It appears to be an excellent compromise in terms of the myriad parameters you have set out in your quest.

While I know you started out really being set on white, I personally think Nebula Grey might be the one of the best if not the best colors offered throughout the entire run of the 460. While I love the Obsidian Black on mine, it is going to be a constant struggle to keep the swirl marks and surface scratches at bay. If not for the constant attention required to keep Obsidian up to snuff, it is my personal fave.

Fingers crossed that this will be the one for you as it really appears to be a stellar example and an outstanding color combo.
Thank you, comotiger/Jungle, I sure hope we can bring her home soon. It really is one of the best examples I've seen lately and you can tell the owner takes pride in ownership. No accidents, two owners, maintenance history looks good. There is a question about the CPO warranty being transferable or not. That matter came as a surprise to me when I spoke with a Lexus service advisor. She suggested I call Lexus, which I did, but while I was busy trying to get details of the factory warranty and learn what is still remaining from which warranty and what is covered, I forgot to ask about the transfer fee. I will need to call back tomorrow. However, I am willing to take a gamble on the air suspension. I plan to keep this car a very long time and $3k-4k spread over the next 10 years isn't too bad for the air suspension. Still thinking about it though...

Comotiger, it doesn't show in photos but this example does have the rear AC vents near the grab handles. I saw them myself and the seller mentioned how one of his sons always asks to turn it off or close it so the "wind doesn't blow on his face". As for the rear headrest DVD screens, I saw the other thread and it does look very nice but I think I'll just stick to tablets that offer greater functionality and can easily be upgraded to the latest model. Plus, I can hide a tablet whereas I personally would be paranoid that headrest DVD screens may invite a break-in. I still think the trunk is pretty shallow but it will definitely meet our needs, thank goodness.

Jungle, I like the Nebula Gray too but I was parked next to a 2013+ F Sport yesterday and OMG that Ultra White is still my favorite color choice -- just wished the F Sport had more interior color options.

Old 02-19-17, 01:50 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Just for clarification on those two pics above, I see a compressor in the first one. My setup is similar, but no compressor or nylon bag as seen in the pic. What year/model is that? Is that the JDM option referred to?
i cant recall exactly I grabbed but the pics from Japanese auction sites. So you don't have a spare ?
Old 02-19-17, 07:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
i cant recall exactly I grabbed but the pics from Japanese auction sites. So you don't have a spare ?
Yes, I have a full size spare and the tool, AA batteries, etc. But not that air compressor in the pic or the nylon bag in that same pic.
Old 02-20-17, 08:25 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Originally Posted by Junglequac
FT1,

That Nebula Gray is really growing on me. I now place Nebula Gray as my #2 favorite, ahead of Matador Red. I still like white best for exterior color (the first car I purchased on my own was white and, before we met, my wife's first, and only, car she bought happened to be white). I must say though, in terms of overall exterior/interior combo, that Nebula Gray with Flaxen is striking.

The PPI didn't happen today. We were still working out terms of the deal and it almost didn't happen. Glad to say things have progressed and the PPI has been rescheduled for Thursday. The seller would like to close the deal Friday. We are fine with that if the seller/bank can provide the title at time of payment on Friday (the seller needs to add personal funds to the sales price in order to satisfy the loan).

Last edited by FatherTo1; 02-21-17 at 01:08 AM.
Old 02-20-17, 09:23 PM
Gbp
Lexus Champion

Received 60 Likes on 56 Posts

@FatherTo1:
Unless Lexus has changed the rules, a CPO warranty isn't transferable, whereas a Platinum extended service contract is. The dealer might be able to re-certify it as a CPO since it's still under 70K miles, but even if they did so, expect a price jump.

ETA: I see that you are apparently getting this from a private party, so I crossed out the information that didn't apply. Best of luck with the deal! At one time, smoky gray mica was my favorite LS460 color, but the Matador Red "spoke" to me. Unfortunately, the red shows micro scratches and swirls when the sun hits it at certain angles. I don't think Nebula gray would have those issues, but I don't know for sure.

Last edited by Gbp; 02-20-17 at 09:36 PM.
The following users liked this post:
FatherTo1 (02-21-17)

Quick Reply: 460 SWB vs 430 rear legroom