LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 v Mercedes E350

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-17, 12:35 PM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I'd say you gave your friend good advice, lol. The Lexus ES is probably one of the most reliable vehicles on the road, and unlike the LS the parts aren't as expensive. Your friend essentially owns a very nice Toyota Camry V6...a V6 that operates on good old regular gasoline (which is about 60 cents cheaper a gallon than super right now). And that six cylinder doesn't have a timing belt to worry about - probably the worst thing is replacing the water pump - everything is wedged on the right side of that engine...and the intake has to come off to do the rear plugs, but any independent shop can do these repairs.
I try man!
Reading about your assessment of the ES begs the question, (since I replaced my water pump myself on the LS):
Would you agree that in some ways, the ES is more difficult to work on in your own garage than the LS?
Old 02-10-17, 01:13 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Yes. Too large. You should just keep the Merc. Oh, and they've run out of LS's. No more available. You're welcome.
dldlaw - I was just busting your chops. There's still 1 or 2 around! I believe once most people get used to the larger size, they will likely think, "I should've gone big YEARS ago."

Jason
Old 02-20-17, 04:16 AM
Chaos236
Intermediate

Received 37 Likes on 29 Posts

I drove a Audi A7 for a week with the plans to buy it,after four days I wanted my LS back. You will love it.
Old 02-20-17, 06:37 AM
comotiger
Pole Position

Received 296 Likes on 254 Posts

Originally Posted by Chaos236
I drove a Audi A7 for a week with the plans to buy it,after four days I wanted my LS back. You will love it.
Please post a detailed write up why you preferred the LS over the A7. Or what you don't like about the A7. Thanks!
Old 02-20-17, 04:48 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I work at the Mercedes plant here in Alabama and I decided to go with a used Lexus over Mercedes even though we get a pretty good deal on lease or purchase. The only one I would consider is the S class but way too rich for my blood to get brand new.
Old 02-20-17, 06:41 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LeLs460L
I work at the Mercedes plant here in Alabama and I decided to go with a used Lexus over Mercedes even though we get a pretty good deal on lease or purchase. The only one I would consider is the S class but way too rich for my blood to get brand new.
Wow interesting. Can you give some insight on why you chose the LS?
Old 02-20-17, 06:55 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Wow interesting. Can you give some insight on why you chose the LS?
You know what's funny here. I believe him 100%. But when i say this same thing on here that I worked for Toyota and then Hyundai for 7 years, and from that experience i never did and never will buy a Hyundai / Kia, i get A LOT of responses that imply that I don't know what I'm talking about. Not from you roadfrog. But lots of others. I've shared lots of stories on here. Some bad stories. I have a lot in the vault that i shouldn't tell because I might get into trouble for. And still people seem to doubt me.

But LeLs460L and I can relate. We've both worked at auto plants. We've been exposed to some of the things that go on there. Some things may be shady. Some things i saw go beyond shady. Must of the bad things i saw were just from people being stupid and/or lazy. But, suffice to say, I will stick to Toyota after seeing the difference between the two.

LeLs460L - I know / knew a few guys from the Mercedes plant. Seems quite a few defected from there during the 2008 / 2009 timing when the Kia plant in West Point GA was being built. Not only did they have their own stories, but their sentiment was the same as yours, "only an S-Class."

Jason
Old 02-21-17, 03:27 AM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

Now don't get me wrong....Mercedes do make some good looking cars with innovative technology but something about them that just make me feel like the reliability isn't there like a Toyota/Lexus. I've always liked the LS even back on the 430 body style. Then there isn't that many people that have an Ls down here that's "hooked up". I've only seen 1 other Ls in town with aftermarket rims on it. I like to have things a little different then everybody else. I even think my Tundra is the only one around town that's lowered with some 26" rims.
Old 02-21-17, 05:23 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Now don't get me wrong....Mercedes do make some good looking cars with innovative technology but something about them that just make me feel like the reliability isn't there like a Toyota/Lexus.
I agree. They are sexy as hell. But having owned two German cars, I will NEVER own another - unless I was rich and could afford the repairs or lease. They are BAD news. Audi apparently has gotten MUCH better, but I'd still pass. I've always wanted an A8 Audi, but I'm gun shy now.
Old 02-22-17, 04:20 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 215 Likes on 162 Posts

You know what's funny here. I believe him 100%. But when i say this same thing on here that I worked for Toyota and then Hyundai for 7 years, and from that experience i never did and never will buy a Hyundai / Kia, i get A LOT of responses that imply that I don't know what I'm talking about. Not from you roadfrog. But lots of others. I've shared lots of stories on here. Some bad stories. I have a lot in the vault that i shouldn't tell because I might get into trouble for. And still people seem to doubt me.

But LeLs460L and I can relate. We've both worked at auto plants. We've been exposed to some of the things that go on there. Some things may be shady. Some things i saw go beyond shady. Must of the bad things i saw were just from people being stupid and/or lazy. But, suffice to say, I will stick to Toyota after seeing the difference between the two.

LeLs460L - I know / knew a few guys from the Mercedes plant. Seems quite a few defected from there during the 2008 / 2009 timing when the Kia plant in West Point GA was being built. Not only did they have their own stories, but their sentiment was the same as yours, "only an S-Class."

Jason
I love getting the scoop from insiders. Speaking of Mercedes, John Cadogan (Australia) has been trashing Mercedes lately.
Old 02-22-17, 05:19 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Whether people were doing meth in the back of it while it was being built or not, my Kia Sedona is still one of the best cars I've ever had, and is aging better than the LS (I have developed a console rattle I'm going to have to take it in for).
Old 02-22-17, 07:27 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Like Steve, family and friends have owned and currently own Hyundai's and Kia's. At work alone, there are five who own them and to the man....every one of them has had ZERO issues and love their cars. Family-wise, One owns a KIA (her second Soul) and loves it with zero problems as well. My brother and his daughter in-law both have Elantra's and again...no problems and will likely buy another. A family friend has had her Accent for 3 years now and has had no problems whatsoever. I appreciate all the insider info though. Perhaps my acquaintances have just been lucky? CR scores KIA 9th and Hyundai 11th out of 30 brands, in "Which Brands Make The Best Cars"......placing them well ahead of Honda, Acura, Nissan, Infiniti, Cadillac etc
Old 02-22-17, 07:46 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

I will say though, I'd take a Korean brand over a European brand. And that's saying a lot.
Old 02-22-17, 08:29 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

I will say though, I'd take a Korean brand over a European brand. And that's saying a lot.
I'd take a Somalian Brand over German. Top THAT!
Old 02-22-17, 11:20 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I'd take a Somalian Brand over German. Top THAT!
Wow..just wow...
He said Somolian...smh

Quick Reply: LS 460 v Mercedes E350