LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

LS 460 v Mercedes E350

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-17, 11:50 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

ever since the chrysler merger, mercedes dropped in craftsmanship and reliability, i sure do miss my 1993 600sel,the last of the real built mercedes benz.
Old 02-22-17, 12:45 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Roadfrog - maybe you can find a "Mogadishu GT" the next time you're shopping for a car?
Old 02-22-17, 01:39 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Roadfrog - maybe you can find a "Mogadishu GT" the next time you're shopping for a car?
I prefer the economy version...the Mogadishu "Skinny". (If you were ever in the Military, you'll know what that means). LOL
Old 02-22-17, 01:57 PM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

I know who they are.
Old 02-22-17, 04:13 PM
07LeLs460L
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I think any other car I would consider besides a LS is the Genesis G90.
Old 02-22-17, 04:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by 07LeLs460L
I think any other car I would consider besides a LS is the Genesis G90.
Definitely on my radar. If I manage to get to the Vancouver International Auto Show in March, I plan to sit in one!
Old 02-22-17, 06:31 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Received 39 Likes on 36 Posts

While I totally respect the G90, I just don't think I could ever purchase one. While I know folks often equate early Japanese offerings to early Hyundai, maybe it is my age (almost 40), but I have such terrible memories of the Excel that ever since I refuse to even rent a Hyundai/Kia.

I know this will engender controversy as the Koreans have made massive strides including poaching Audi's Design Chief and the reliability scores are legit, but something about them just does not appeal to me.

Another issue I find with equating late 70's to early 80's Japanese cars to say the Excel (and other early examples of the late 80's to early 90's), is with the exception of the massively more expensive Mercedes of that era, those were the dark ages as far as American cars go as they struggled to meet the new EPA rules and the change to unleaded fuel and especially Honda with its CVCC engine was uniquely positioned for the post OPEC boycott.

I realize at this point my bias against the Korean brands is not entirely rational, but considering the abundance of choices in the American marketplace, it is not like I am lacking for options when the time comes to replace my 460.
Old 02-22-17, 07:25 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

The days of large displacement are coming to an end. Their just too inefficient. I'm not disappointed with the supercharged 3.0 V6 in my Audi A8 L in the least. It is rated at 18 / 28 but I am getting 31 - 32 MPG keeping her around 70 MPH on the highway. This is impressive on winter fuel. Guys with the TDI version can get over 50 MPG. The G90's MPG ratings are also not too hot but I will admit Hyundai has come a long way.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 02-22-17 at 07:48 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 07:29 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

Originally Posted by Junglequac
While I totally respect the G90, I just don't think I could ever purchase one. While I know folks often equate early Japanese offerings to early Hyundai, maybe it is my age (almost 40), but I have such terrible memories of the Excel that ever since I refuse to even rent a Hyundai/Kia.

I know this will engender controversy as the Koreans have made massive strides including poaching Audi's Design Chief and the reliability scores are legit, but something about them just does not appeal to me.

Another issue I find with equating late 70's to early 80's Japanese cars to say the Excel (and other early examples of the late 80's to early 90's), is with the exception of the massively more expensive Mercedes of that era, those were the dark ages as far as American cars go as they struggled to meet the new EPA rules and the change to unleaded fuel and especially Honda with its CVCC engine was uniquely positioned for the post OPEC boycott.

I realize at this point my bias against the Korean brands is not entirely rational, but considering the abundance of choices in the American marketplace, it is not like I am lacking for options when the time comes to replace my 460.
Ive read this same argument about Lexus 100 times lol.
Old 02-22-17, 07:54 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Lol it may be to you, but early Toyota's while perhaps inexpensive, were not poorly engineered in the way that the Excel was. Moreover, even in the 60's Toyota had cars like the 2000GT. So I find it to be an apples to oranges to apples comparison. Moreover, Lexus is the number 1 selling luxury brand in the US.
Old 02-22-17, 08:30 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Junglequac
Lol it may be to you, but early Toyota's while perhaps inexpensive, were not poorly engineered in the way that the Excel was. Moreover, even in the 60's Toyota had cars like the 2000GT. So I find it to be an apples to oranges to apples comparison. Moreover, Lexus is the number 1 selling luxury brand in the US.
I agree with what you are saying. Early Hyundai and Kia's were utter cr@p. Also, Lexus lost that title to Mercedes in 2016. They sold about 9k more vehicles vs Lexus last year.
The following users liked this post:
Junglequac (02-22-17)
Old 02-22-17, 08:43 PM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
I agree with what you are saying. Early Hyundai and Kia's were utter cr@p. Also, Lexus lost that title to Mercedes in 2016. They sold about 23k more vehicles vs Lexus last year.
I was wondering whether MB had ended up moving up as they now have the CLA and GLA starting at around $30,000. According to Business Insider, the difference was around 9000 cars, but it really matters not as MB is numbero uno: http://www.businessinsider.com/merce...ca-2016-2017-1

While I actually agree with what SW is saying when talking about the upper tier models like the LS and how brand conscious buyers would have misgivings when spending $70,000 plus, the RX and ES sell unbelievably well.
That said, with the LS460 being now 10 years old as a model (not for a second arguing that there were not big changes with the 2013 redesign), all I can say is it will be interesting to see how the LS 500 sells. And the LC 500 for that matter.

Last edited by Junglequac; 02-22-17 at 08:47 PM.
Old 02-22-17, 09:34 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

I tried to edit my post as quickly as possible but your quoted me before I was able... it is 9k not 23k.
Old 02-23-17, 12:05 AM
Junglequac
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
I tried to edit my post as quickly as possible but your quoted me before I was able... it is 9k not 23k.
I hope that did not come off as me trying to correct or argue with you. Rather, I was truly unaware that MB took the prize and was naturally curious about what was behind it. After reading several sources and seeing that all the references I came across showed a 9000 delta, I felt remiss not to point it out.

It is also why I specifically wanted to thank you for the information as like I said in my initial post about this, be it 5000 or 50,000, Lexus lost the spot and I was wrong. I have no ego when it comes to wanting to know the fact of the matter and I hope to goodness that it did not come off crass to point out the disparity. If so, my absolute and sincere apologies.
Best,
JQ
Old 02-23-17, 06:01 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,751 Likes on 1,968 Posts

I'm not saying that they are, I'm just relaying the argument against Lexus that I have heard from people as somebody who had a Lexus fairly early in the existence of Lexus as a brand was strikingly similar to your argument about the G90. People argue things all the time that aren't true or don't make sense.

Bottom line is, in the 70s and 80s Toyota made a lot of crappy economy cars people hated, they started driving them because they had to for economy's sake. Did you ever watch That 70s Show? Obviously it's a comedy but the dad buys a crappy Toyota economy car that he hates because of the gas crisis and gives the kid the big American station wagon. "Last time I was that close to a Japanese machine it was firing at me", so on.

Having owned a Hyundai/Kia product I would buy another without hesitation. Only thing that would keep me out of a G90 is brand snobbery, not concerns about the car or the company that made it.

If you look at the number of Hyundais and Kias on the road, I think insofar as the mainstream they've overcome their negative stigma.

As for Lexus, just FYI it hasn't been the #1 selling luxury make in the US since about 2011. It's been #2 and even #3.

Quick Reply: LS 460 v Mercedes E350