LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Left front caliper torn dust boot help

Search this Thread

Old 03-01-17, 06:44 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Left front caliper torn dust boot help

Hello this is the first time I used a local mechanic for my 2007 LS460 L
The front brakes were pulsating when you hit the brakes needles to say I needed new front rotors and I had new pads. He made a note on the bottom of the receipt that says
"Left front caliper has damage torn dust boot. So my question is do I need to replace the whole caliper because I called Lexus and they said that caliper part was 375.00 yikes. Any help or advise is greatly appreciated. I do have a premier Warranty direct extended warranty I don't know if this would be covered.
Thanks
Old 03-01-17, 07:05 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Most likely the caliper pile ton will eventually rust in its bore and seize, so yeah it probably needs to be replaced. I guess depending on the size of the tear you could try to seal it with something, but I doubt it'd work for long. I'm surprised they don't sell rebuilt calipers somewhere...have you checked? There might be aftermarket calipers available.
Old 03-01-17, 07:14 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Here's a new caliper from Rock Auto - 65 bucks : http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...b,caliper,1704
Old 03-01-17, 07:18 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Most likely the caliper pile ton will eventually rust in its bore and seize, so yeah it probably needs to be replaced. I guess depending on the size of the tear you could try to seal it with something, but I doubt it'd work for long. I'm surprised they don't sell rebuilt calipers somewhere...have you checked? There might be aftermarket calipers available.
Thanks Double base for your reply
I did try looking online but I'm not sure if it was the right one.
Old 03-01-17, 07:26 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Here's a new caliper from Rock Auto - 65 bucks : http://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/l...b,caliper,1704
Road Frog thanks so much brother I'm still not sure if they come with the dust boot also it says you should buy 2 to prevent uneven braking?
Old 03-01-17, 07:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

You're welcome my friend.....that's why we're here.

The boots are integral to the caliper/pistons. I would probably do both, since the price is right. Always good to do things in pairs (shocks, pads, rotors etc).

Let us know how things go.
Old 03-01-17, 08:05 PM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You're welcome my friend.....that's why we're here.

The boots are integral to the caliper/pistons. I would probably do both, since the price is right. Always good to do things in pairs (shocks, pads, rotors etc).

Let us know how things go.
Thanks again it's people like you who make this forum so great. Good point about getting both. I don't think Lexus would install them if I bring my own calipers. I will find out how much my local mechanic gets for labor to install both. 👍
Old 03-02-17, 04:50 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Nice work by roadfrog, I'd also give a call to your local parts store because then you won't have to deal with shipping costs (getting the caliper to you and shipping your old caliper back to get your core refund). But $60 bucks for a fixed caliper that sized? I mean these are big front calipers on our cars...that's a good price.
Old 03-02-17, 05:14 AM
Mrcoach
Driver

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Nice work by roadfrog, I'd also give a call to your local parts store because then you won't have to deal with shipping costs (getting the caliper to you and shipping your old caliper back to get your core refund). But $60 bucks for a fixed caliper that sized? I mean these are big front calipers on our cars...that's a good price.
I agree I much rather get it local if possible I like to see it and touch it and if it's the wrong one I don't have to ship it back. Thank you for all your help Doublebase 👍
Old 03-02-17, 06:40 AM
texas008
Advanced

Received 107 Likes on 91 Posts

agree, i once bought all 4 disc brake rotors from rockauto and ebay. they sit in my garage for a while, then when I was trying to replace the rotors they turned out to be wrong size rotors. and it was probably too late to return them...

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
I agree I much rather get it local if possible I like to see it and touch it and if it's the wrong one I don't have to ship it back. Thank you for all your help Doublebase 👍
Old 03-02-17, 07:02 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Mrcoach
Dont get me wrong, I have no problem ordering parts online, but when you're dealing with a core charge it might be better to buy local. But I've bought plenty of parts online and it's always important to take a close look at shipping costs...eBay is pretty good, I find a lot of the time it's free shipping and if you have Amazon prime it's free too.