LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 Passenger side fuel pump gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-20-21, 03:20 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
omg thank you for posting your pics. I just looked at mine. Exact same leak!! Both sides (driver and passenger side)! Guess mine is sooo bad that it’s leaking all the way down to the floor!

anyone know where to buy genuine parts for cheap? The eBay link I saw was $78! Blah!
23224-38010 and 23915-46011
https://www.ebay.com/itm/23224-38010...Cclp%3A2334524
https://www.ebay.com/itm/2391546011-...EAAOSwvjtcbYx1

Last edited by fwhomeboy; 01-20-21 at 03:23 PM.
Old 01-20-21, 03:39 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

comes out to be close to same price due to expensive shipping. I ended up buying the entire kit that was posted above. Thanks for ur help man!
Old 01-20-21, 03:46 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

comes out to be close to same price due to expensive shipping. I ended up buying the entire kit that was posted above. Thanks for ur help man!
Oops, sorry I didn't even look at that. Yeah, you did good to go ahead and get the kit.
Old 01-20-21, 06:26 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

I am doing the kits as well, it makes sense to replace them all why you have it taken apart.

Here is a better view of my passenger side now that I have the battery tray out. Looks like ample room to work.

Old 01-21-21, 11:32 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Wasn't there a recall a year or so ago for these leaking high pressure fuel pump gaskets (not the current one for the low pressure pump)?
Old 01-21-21, 12:49 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Wasn't there a recall a year or so ago for these leaking high pressure fuel pump gaskets (not the current one for the low pressure pump)?
It was for the fuel pressure sensor gasket where fuel leaking past it was a possibility. It was a safety recall, often referred to as Safety Recall ELF (E2F).
The following users liked this post:
zattack917 (09-04-21)
Old 01-21-21, 01:11 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by lwphat66
It was for the fuel pressure sensor gasket where fuel leaking past it was a possibility. It was a safety recall, often referred to as Safety Recall ELF (E2F).

ahhh that’s for sure different than the high pressure fuel pump gasket right? Lol just making sure haha because my car did get the sensors done.
Old 01-21-21, 04:29 PM
lwphat66
Instructor

Received 448 Likes on 322 Posts

ahhh that’s for sure different than the high pressure fuel pump gasket right? Lol just making sure haha because my car did get the sensors done.
Yes, VERY different locations and procedures to change out the gaskets for each.
Old 01-22-21, 06:17 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

For those who have done this, I’m reading the first post write up. Leaving the vehicle overnight will reduce pressure in the fuel pump? Is that right? So if I let the car sit overnight then before working on the gasket replacement, I remove the negative terminal on the battery, then there won’t be anymore pressure?

what happens if I don’t wait overnight and there’s pressure? I definitely don’t want a CEL as I’m terrified of those lol.
Old 01-22-21, 08:23 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I just removed my passenger side pump this morning Allusuc and when I disconnected the fuel lines there was virtually no residual pressure. I disconnected and removed the battery two days ago and the car has been sitting since then so plenty of time for pressure to drop. There are other procedures to reduce pressure more quickly if you need to, but if you plan on just waiting it out I think over night would be long enough. Just remove the first hose slowly to be sure you are still not pressurized. I do not believe you will get a CEL if you still have pressure, but you do risk fuel spraying out and making a mess so you may want to wear safety glasses.
The following users liked this post:
sha4000 (01-22-21)
Old 01-22-21, 11:26 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZGS4
I just removed my passenger side pump this morning Allusuc and when I disconnected the fuel lines there was virtually no residual pressure. I disconnected and removed the battery two days ago and the car has been sitting since then so plenty of time for pressure to drop. There are other procedures to reduce pressure more quickly if you need to, but if you plan on just waiting it out I think over night would be long enough. Just remove the first hose slowly to be sure you are still not pressurized. I do not believe you will get a CEL if you still have pressure, but you do risk fuel spraying out and making a mess so you may want to wear safety glasses.
thanks! I will park my car in the driveway the night before and unplug the negative terminal. So 12-16 hours if it sitting unplugged should be good. I’m assuming that you did not losing your gas cap? I’ve heard others doing that the night before too.

also, question: since the battery will be disconnected for 12-16 hours, when I put the negative terminal back onto the battery after I’m done with the gasket repair, will i have to reprogram saved radio stations and the time/clock ?
Old 01-22-21, 12:25 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 337 Likes on 290 Posts

When I did both gaskets I disconnected the battery overnight and loosened the gas cap. There was no pressure in the lines.
Old 01-22-21, 12:28 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

thanks! I will park my car in the driveway the night before and unplug the negative terminal. So 12-16 hours if it sitting unplugged should be good. I’m assuming that you did not losing your gas cap? I’ve heard others doing that the night before too.

also, question: since the battery will be disconnected for 12-16 hours, when I put the negative terminal back onto the battery after I’m done with the gasket repair, will i have to reprogram saved radio stations and the time/clock ?
Correct, I did not loosen the gas cap, but it definitely could not hurt to do that. I do believe it will be necessary to reprogram radio stations and clock once the battery goes back in.
Old 01-26-21, 10:00 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

I have now completed both the passenger and driver side fuel pump gaskets and everything went according to plan. I did this work concurrent with replacing spark plugs and valve cover gaskets. Here are a few pics of the end result.

Passenger side before

Passenger side after

Driver side after
The following 2 users liked this post by AZGS4:
SupraTurbo (07-09-23), zattack917 (09-04-21)
Old 01-26-21, 11:16 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I have now completed both the passenger and driver side fuel pump gaskets and everything went according to plan. I did this work concurrent with replacing spark plugs and valve cover gaskets. Here are a few pics of the end result.

Passenger side before

Passenger side after

Driver side after

How did you do the driver side? I can’t get the black box out the way to remove the 2 bolts holding the fuel pump gasket in!

this black box here. Ton of wires underneath

Quick Reply: 460 Passenger side fuel pump gasket replacement