LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 Passenger side fuel pump gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-21, 11:51 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

I removed the bolt from the top bracket like you have done and the nut on the bottom bracket towards the back on the inside. That should give you enough play to move it out of the way enough to get the socket in there.
Old 01-26-21, 02:25 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGS4
I removed the bolt from the top bracket like you have done and the nut on the bottom bracket towards the back on the inside. That should give you enough play to move it out of the way enough to get the socket in there.

Thanks! Completed this. Exhausted now lol took me 5 hours total. Had issues just trying to remove the 19mm bolt and the 22mm bolt. Those two were struck on sooooooo tight lol

Unfortunately my car is still leaking, elsewhere. Not sure where now though. So sad ugh.
Old 01-26-21, 02:45 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 146 Likes on 96 Posts

I replied in your other thread about leaking. Check that and let me know your thoughts.
Old 01-27-21, 04:33 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 889 Likes on 656 Posts

Originally Posted by Allusuc
Thanks! Completed this. Exhausted now lol took me 5 hours total. Had issues just trying to remove the 19mm bolt and the 22mm bolt. Those two were struck on sooooooo tight lol

Unfortunately my car is still leaking, elsewhere. Not sure where now though. So sad ugh.
As I mentioned before, you need to clean old oil in order to track the leak. I would remove the splash shields, clean the old oil. Drive around and check where the leak is coming from. There is a chance that it is the timing chain cover.
Old 01-27-21, 05:02 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
As I mentioned before, you need to clean old oil in order to track the leak. I would remove the splash shields, clean the old oil. Drive around and check where the leak is coming from. There is a chance that it is the timing chain cover.
Ah I see. I think it’s more so coming from the back, as in the oil filter area. I have to admit, I did turn off the car, jack the car up, and saw 1 drip forming on the black filter cap itself. It only drips while the car is on, no leak while the car is off. Makes me think it’s either the filter cap or the filter housing itself. I guess only one real way to find out - by swapping the cap out myself.

Last edited by Allusuc; 01-27-21 at 05:10 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 05:09 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

No, it is not but we will not get into that yet... When, you installed valve cover gaskets, did you check the heads' gasket contact surfaces for scratches? Did you look around the heads for other oil leaks? You said the leak is around the oil filter, concentrate on that area first from top to bottom. But, you got to clean the old oil first.
Old 01-27-21, 05:13 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

No, it is not but we will not get into that yet... When, you installed valve cover gaskets, did you check the heads' gasket contact surfaces for scratches? Did you look around the heads for other oil leaks? You said the leak is around the oil filter, concentrate on that area first from top to bottom. But, you got to clean the old oil first.
there was no leak anywhere on the valve cover. Nice and dry, except for the fuel pump area and directly below the fuel pump area (black due to leak). Do you think the oil filter cap is bad? Have you heard or seen the black plastic filter cap being bad? I didn’t see any physical tears but I know it was definitely over torqued by the previous filter changes.
Old 01-27-21, 05:17 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Allusuc
there was no leak anywhere on the valve cover. Nice and dry, except for the fuel pump area and directly below the fuel pump area (black due to leak). Do you think the oil filter cap is bad? Have you heard or seen the black plastic filter cap being bad? I didn’t see any physical tears but I know it was definitely over torqued by the previous filter changes.
I do not know if the filter housing or cap is bad. If it was overtorqued, it is possible it has developed a leak due to a microcrack. Is there any oil above the oil filter housing?

Last edited by Anfanger; 01-27-21 at 05:49 AM.
Old 01-27-21, 05:33 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

I do not know if the cap is filter housing or cap is bad. If it was overtorqued, it is possible it has developed a leak due to a microcrack. Is there any oil above the oil filter housing?
havent been able to see ... as I haven’t had a chance to remove all the black metal & plastic covering. When looking from the top down to the filter housing, I don’t see any oil other than super old oil that leaked from the fuel pump gasket leak that I’ve fixed. I’m going to purchase a new metal gas cap and try to install it, then see what happens. If it’s not that, then it might be the two small o rings that connects the housing to the engine...
Old 01-31-21, 06:32 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Hey guys... so I turned on the heater in my car today because it was cold, and I smell a bit of gasoline!! Is this normal? I haven’t really driven the car much since I’ve changed the high pressure fuel pump gaskets, but why would it smell like gasoline? I did have the car on the mode where it pulls air from outside... but it’s so weird.

Is it possible that I didn’t tighten the lines that went to the fuel pump on the valve cover enough? Hmm it never smelled like gasoline before... only after I changed the fuel pump gaskets. Should I be worried? When I disconnected the two big screws as Instructed, there was oil that leaked. Chance that it hasn’t dried as of 4 days ago?
Old 01-31-21, 06:46 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

I would guess, you have a gasoline leak due to a lack of proper seal. Double check your work.
Old 01-31-21, 11:49 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I would guess, you have a gasoline leak due to a lack of proper seal. Double check your work.
theres a return gas line that’s behind the manifold under the windshield cowl area, if that came loose and it does sometimes you will smell gas
Old 02-01-21, 05:56 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

hmm so it’s either the bolts/screws didn’t get tighten enough, or it’s this part that is leaking. Did I put this back together correctly? Can someone check to see if their line (the one that says do not kink) looks exactly like mine please? I disconnected this when I took the fuel pump out.

Old 02-01-21, 06:23 PM
Anfanger
Pole Position

It is hard to tell, just make sure that the lines matches old marks on the metal tubing. Did you torque metal fuel lines going into and out the fuel pump?
Old 02-01-21, 06:37 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

It is hard to tell, just make sure that the lines matches old marks on the metal tubing. Did you torque metal fuel lines going into and out the fuel pump?

not sure how to torque, but I made it tight; then a little bit more! Barely moved on the “little bit more” though lol but I can go back and check again. Surprised if I didn’t tighten it enough! Ugh!

Quick Reply: 460 Passenger side fuel pump gasket replacement