LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

460 Passenger side fuel pump gasket replacement

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-21, 09:43 PM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Received 145 Likes on 96 Posts

This is what mine looks like after reinstallation of that fuel line. Yours looks to be the same as min and on correctly from what I can tell. Keep doublechecking your work you may see something else that is the culprit. There are multiple fuel leak sources from each pump including at the pulsation damper connection, metal tubing connection and rubber connection to the pump and nipple. As I understand it, the gasket and o rings on the valve cover cause oil leaks and not fuel leaks if they are not functioning or attached correctly.

Last edited by AZGS4; 02-01-21 at 09:47 PM.
The following users liked this post:
zattack917 (09-04-21)
Old 02-01-21, 09:52 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by AZGS4
This is what mine looks like after reinstallation of that fuel line. Yours looks to be the same as min and on correctly from what I can tell. Keep doublechecking your work you may see something else that is the culprit. There are multiple fuel leak sources from each pump including at the pulsation damper connection, metal tubing connection and rubber connection to the pump and nipple. As I understand it, the gasket and o rings on the valve cover cause oil leaks and not fuel leaks if they are not functioning or attached correctly.

thanks for the pic. Maybe I didn’t tighten the two big bolts tightly enough? Ugh. Man! So much work to just access the bolts/screws!
Old 02-02-21, 04:41 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Received 875 Likes on 647 Posts

To avoid guessing to need to use torque specs defined by Lexus. I don't have my manual nearby right now, if nobody provides it, I will try to find out it.

Did you replace/install aluminum washers on the fuel pumps? If you reused old ones, did you make sure there are no scratches on the old ones?
Old 02-02-21, 06:36 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Anfanger
To avoid guessing to need to use torque specs defined by Lexus. I don't have my manual nearby right now, if nobody provides it, I will try to find out it.

Did you replace/install aluminum washers on the fuel pumps? If you reused old ones, did you make sure there are no scratches on the old ones?

yes I reused the two metal washers. I’ll try to retighten today and see what happens. I know the smell is coming from around the fuel pump though because I’ll stick my head there and I can smell it. It would really suck if I have to undo those two bolts and redo. But I guess I have no choice at this point lol
Old 02-02-21, 08:05 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

The torque spec for the two nuts that attach the pump to the valve cover is 18 ft/lbs.
Old 02-02-21, 08:07 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

Fuel pressure pulsation damper torque = 36 Nm
Fuel pipe sub-assembly torque = 30 Nm
zattack917 (09-04-21)
Old 02-02-21, 08:31 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Fuel pressure pulsation damper torque = 36 Nm
Fuel pipe sub-assembly torque = 30 Nm

thanks!! I made sure they were tight today! They’re definitely on tight. But I do smell gasoline that’s coming out from there. It’s weird how it’s only on the passenger side though. Is it possible that I need to change those 2 metal washers ? I do happen to have 2 new ones... but ugh to have to remove it would be such a huge pain! I don’t see any liquid gasoline anywhere though. Should I still be worried?
Old 02-02-21, 08:34 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

Originally Posted by AZGS4
The torque spec for the two nuts that attach the pump to the valve cover is 18 ft/lbs.

the gasoline smell wouldn’t be coming from the fuel pump gasket right?? If anything, it’d be from the sub assembly attachment and the damper valve attachment (2 metal washers) right? Definitely not from the fuel pump gasket right?
Old 02-02-21, 09:04 AM
Anfanger
Pole Position

You try using a LED light to detect gasoline mist. If the leak is strong enough, you might be able to track it.
Old 02-02-21, 09:19 AM
Allusuc
Intermediate

You try using a LED light to detect gasoline mist. If the leak is strong enough, you might be able to track it.

i was using an LED light and shined it at the area but couldn’t see anything lol. Blah!!
Old 02-02-21, 10:01 AM
AZGS4
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Allusuc
the gasoline smell wouldn’t be coming from the fuel pump gasket right?? If anything, it’d be from the sub assembly attachment and the damper valve attachment (2 metal washers) right? Definitely not from the fuel pump gasket right?
Agree, the fuel pump gasket seals to the valve cover and prevents oil leaks.
Old 02-03-21, 03:14 PM
Allusuc
Intermediate

this is excellent advice. Thanks a ton Anfanger! For all those who plan on replacing your fuel pump gaskets, be sure to also replace the aluminum washers !!!!! I didn’t know something so small could make a difference. I already had a set on hand but didn’t replace the old ones. Anyway, I undid the damper and put two new ones back in, and now I don’t smell anymore fuel. Crossing fingers that it stays this way!! Lesson learned and for everyone else, plz be sure to replace these metal gaskets when you do your replacement! Pic below of the gaskets I’m referring to!

zattack917 (09-04-21)
Old 05-01-23, 10:34 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Anybody have list of part number required for this job? I assume two gasket and o rings, anything else am I missing? I can't find the part number for o ring though
Old 05-01-23, 11:08 PM
Sherl
Advanced

Received 63 Likes on 55 Posts

Originally Posted by Sherl
Anybody have list of part number required for this job? I assume two gasket and o rings, anything else am I missing? I can't find the part number for o ring though

If somebody want to verify that's this is applicable to 2011 that would be great too
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...l#post10497528

Old 12-25-23, 03:21 PM
Biyiklik
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Broken stud

Originally Posted by fblonk
I had to replace the fuel pump gasket on the passenger side on my LS. Here is a step by step with pics. Hope this helps....
Thank you again for step by step instructions.I have completed the driver side which was a little harder due to black box but it was doable.Unfortunately i used the torque wrench but it broken the stud.other nut was still good and tighten it.Do you guys think i can survive or should i find a way to get fixed???

Quick Reply: 460 Passenger side fuel pump gasket replacement