LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

I'm back!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-17 | 08:12 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by sapstar66
Would you car to share (in pictures or video) how you did that? With the drawings in the book, I just can't figure out which screws are where...

This description of a "screw" to adjust the headlights is one of the odd misinterpretations I've seen repeated on the forum a LOT.
On my car there is an adjusting gear that is kept under a black cover. Nothing I would interpret as a "screw".

First triangular engine cover and the strip against the wall is removed.
There is a V-shaped space just below the Japanese symbol and the embossed headlight icon and 1%.
This is the space the screwdriver goes down into (from above) for the whole procedure.

So first you must remove the black cover from the adjustment gear.
You'll need to insert a flat head screwdriver under the upper edge of this bit circled in red in the below photo from the original thread.

Once that cover is off you'll see a gear that looks similar to this (tho this photo is from a GS):

This is the gear you'll be rolling using a screwdriver.
I use the a flat head to push the gear rolling one tooth at a time. You could use a Phillips head (per Lexus' instructions) and turn instead: so that the Phillips head acts as a small gear against the adjustment gear.
This is NOT a normal screwing action per se.

Remember: You're rolling the gear by pushing the gear teeth using the screwdriver.
Old 05-02-17 | 08:42 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
What Polish and sealer you have in mind. Another thing is, How the hell can you have that car for ten days and already get this much stuff done ? Are you retired?
Was looking at the Meguiars Ultimate liquid wax as it's a semi synthetic and will last a while.

I've had the car going on two months now! Lol. I was even sick for a month of it (diverticulitis).

I am SO very not retired. I'm only 34 actually.
Hell, I live in a condo and just have my parking spot to do car work.

Most of these little projects I just slip in by adding an hour or a half-hour on my way to/from the car.
Or two days a week I'll have lunch at home (10min drive) and use some of that time for a quick project.
A couple weeks ago, one of those two days I did the front pads and on the other I did the back ones... over my lunch breaks.
Removing the side mirrors and repairing the wind noise issues: Lunch break projects! One side at a time.

That way the work isn't tedious and I personally don't like doing car work while I'm tired. That's when mistakes are made.
So I pick at my projects in small bites.
Also helps clear my head for when I get back to my day job as an IT Systems Engineer.
The following users liked this post:
fwhomeboy (05-02-17)
Old 05-02-17 | 04:46 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Congrats on the LS460, I am looking for a black or dark grey/grey..

I am impressed by your fixing the center console. How involved was the process of removing the center console and sanding out the scratches? Some of the used ones I have seen online look to have some scratches on the center console as well as some worn/fading paint on the center buttons, if I could fix both with sanding and touch up pretty easily that would be nice.
Old 05-03-17 | 08:26 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Originally Posted by UDel
Congrats on the LS460, I am looking for a black or dark grey/grey..

I am impressed by your fixing the center console. How involved was the process of removing the center console and sanding out the scratches? Some of the used ones I have seen online look to have some scratches on the center console as well as some worn/fading paint on the center buttons, if I could fix both with sanding and touch up pretty easily that would be nice.
Removing the console is quite easy actually.
Just a ton of clips and just two bolts to separate it from the shifter.

The instructions can be found in THIS POST.

The only tips I'll add are:
  • The "finish panel" (the leather panel right next to your leg) needs to be pulled out from the front edge first (near the parking brake buttons) then the whole strip slides forward and out after the front edge is out.
  • Don't forget the two bolts that secure the shifter.
  • When releasing the wood console itself, I put my thumbs against the ash tray part (next to the flip door/where Lexus says to apply tape) and pull up with my fingers.
  • Removing the buttons is risky and has to be done with EXTREME care as there is little space for removing the clips that hold them. Do not force them. You'll need to work carefully till the clips to all release at once so the switch just slides out. No angling out by force!
I'm not sure how you'd approach doing touch-up of the buttons as the coating on them is actually slightly textured.

Sanding and polishing was just 2000 then 3000 grit wet followed by a random orbit polisher.
Old 05-05-17 | 05:20 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by dfkd
This description of a "screw" to adjust the headlights is one of the odd misinterpretations I've seen repeated on the forum a LOT.
On my car there is an adjusting gear that is kept under a black cover. Nothing I would interpret as a "screw".

First triangular engine cover and the strip against the wall is removed.
There is a V-shaped space just below the Japanese symbol and the embossed headlight icon and 1%.
This is the space the screwdriver goes down into (from above) for the whole procedure.

So first you must remove the black cover from the adjustment gear.
You'll need to insert a flat head screwdriver under the upper edge of this bit circled in red in the below photo from the original thread.

Once that cover is off you'll see a gear that looks similar to this (tho this photo is from a GS):

This is the gear you'll be rolling using a screwdriver.
I use the a flat head to push the gear rolling one tooth at a time. You could use a Phillips head (per Lexus' instructions) and turn instead: so that the Phillips head acts as a small gear against the adjustment gear.
This is NOT a normal screwing action per se.

Remember: You're rolling the gear by pushing the gear teeth using the screwdriver.
Many thanks! I'll sure try that.
Owner's manual mentions a second "screw" also. Any clue?