LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Another H.I.D. headlight issue

Search this Thread

Old 03-11-17, 06:38 AM
pip235
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Another H.I.D. headlight issue

New to the forum.

I​​ have a 2007 LS460 L.

I had intermittent low beam headlights, so I replaced the H.I.D. bulbs assuming they were the original bulbs and were on their way out. I installed new Garax bulbs. They worked great for about 3 months, then I started to get intermittent problems again. One stopped working, then I lost both all together.

So....I tried to just turn them off and on a bunch of times and they both finally came back on. They have been working fine now for about a week.

Has anyone had similar experiences or know what to go after next?

Thank you for any insight.
​​​​​​

Old 03-11-17, 10:15 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Could be the bulbs again or a ballast. With them both going out, I suspect the bulbs.
Old 03-11-17, 11:44 AM
CRowe14
Lexus Test Driver

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

+1 regarding what Keith said. It is seldom stated in these parts that the ballast goes awry. These ballast are excellent and can last for quite some time.
I too have an 07 L model and still have the original OEM ballast on my drivers side. The passenger side I replaced due to something I did that caused condensation and shorted the ballast, so I had to replace it.
I actually have a story that I'll report regarding the ballast on the older models if anyone is interested.
If so, let me know.
But in short, I'm thinking it's the bulbs.
​​​​​​​Question: Do you have any condensation in your headlight housing?
Old 03-11-17, 11:59 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

I'm all for ballast stories!

However, here's a third vote for bulbs.
Old 03-11-17, 02:56 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Vote four for bulbs.
I purchased a set on Ebay from China and they lasted about 6-8 weeks before they started to act up similarly to yours. I the ordered the Morimotos from theretrofitsource and haven't had an issue since (going on 3 years).
Old 03-11-17, 04:11 PM
pip235
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright. Sounds good! With the unanimous vote I will order another set of bulbs.

Thank you all for the advice!
​​​​​​
Old 05-14-17, 11:48 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Same/similar issue.

2007 LS460L
just bought my second 460 about three months ago, since then I've done the minimum of maintenance (HID bulbs, LED interior/exterior, K&N filters, etc) and am now just running into an issue which is driving me nuts!

so I've always ordered my HID kits from DDMTuning.com and never had an issue. Did the same on this car, ordered my kit for the fogs as well as the D4S bulbs for the low beams. They worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago when the passenger low beam decided to just die. Not faint, not weak, just dead. It would come and go as time went on, but no steady performance has been noticed. I figured it was the bulb and having a few spares I played around a little. It's not the bulb. So since there was quite a bit of condensation in the headlight I figured I'd check the ballast. Before removing it I ordered a new one, it arrived, took the headlight out, sure enough the wires and connections were soaked. Drained the water out, dried it up as much as I could, put the new ballast in, the light fired up perfect. Then last night, out of nowhere it decided to start all over again.... I don't know what else to check!!!

I've read here that one guy had "relay" issues and he had to remove his fuse box to get to it and fix it. Anyone have any input on this? Similar issues with anyone?
I've run out of ideas...
Please and thank you.
Old 05-14-17, 05:17 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by pip235
Alright. Sounds good! With the unanimous vote I will order another set of bulbs.​​​​​​
Bear in mind, the price of the D4S bulbs in our cars ranges from about $20 to $200 (higher if you go to the dealer). Don't know why this is but I wonder if the old adage "you get what you pay for" is in operation here?
Old 05-14-17, 10:04 PM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GaborL
2007 LS460L
just bought my second 460 about three months ago, since then I've done the minimum of maintenance (HID bulbs, LED interior/exterior, K&N filters, etc) and am now just running into an issue which is driving me nuts!

so I've always ordered my HID kits from DDMTuning.com and never had an issue. Did the same on this car, ordered my kit for the fogs as well as the D4S bulbs for the low beams. They worked fine up until about 2 weeks ago when the passenger low beam decided to just die. Not faint, not weak, just dead. It would come and go as time went on, but no steady performance has been noticed. I figured it was the bulb and having a few spares I played around a little. It's not the bulb. So since there was quite a bit of condensation in the headlight I figured I'd check the ballast. Before removing it I ordered a new one, it arrived, took the headlight out, sure enough the wires and connections were soaked. Drained the water out, dried it up as much as I could, put the new ballast in, the light fired up perfect. Then last night, out of nowhere it decided to start all over again.... I don't know what else to check!!!

I've read here that one guy had "relay" issues and he had to remove his fuse box to get to it and fix it. Anyone have any input on this? Similar issues with anyone?
I've run out of ideas...
Please and thank you.
I see you've made this post in quite a few threads, and since it may apply to the OP, I'm posting here as well.

I am the other guy who had this problem on a '07 L, the initial poster you refer to had it easy by having one of the fuse boxes replaced. Now, in your case, if water is still getting into your housing, stop looking - there is your problem. Without your assembly sealed tight, you will never be able to fix this so make sure you have a good waterproof assembly before moving on. If the ballast itself is the problem, you can cross-reference a Toyota Koito ballast used in other HID-equipped cars. They run at the same specs as the Lexus unit, just make sure you identify the housing is the same shape with the same screw pattern so it can be bolted onto the housing (BTW, Lexus calls the ballast the HID ECU so be wary upon this term). You can replace the ballast and gasket by dropping the bumper and under covers, although you may opt to remove the headlight assembly instead. Be careful - there is a ground connection to the outer side of the fender with a rubber mount molded into the fitting. If this tears, it will not be snug upon refitting. Also, you may have to gently "open" the top of the fender to allow the tightly-fitted headlamp out/in without damage.

In a nutshell, be glad if your problem encompasses the bulb, the ballast, or the gaskets only. It was all crickets when I was asking for help on my issue, and I learned the hard way that this car has FIVE major sections just to turn the damn HI/Low beams on. Since getting it repaired was necessary for me to be able to pass inspection, I had no choice but to do it. That said, this car is no longer in the stable and I'm enjoying it's less complicated stable-mates, while the SO has the one under warranty. To the OP - Welcome and may you enjoy your time here in good health and good company!

Last edited by tlk2megoos; 05-14-17 at 10:08 PM.
Old 05-15-17, 02:13 AM
GaborL
Rookie

Originally Posted by tlk2megoos
I see you've made this post in quite a few threads, and since it may apply to the OP, I'm posting here as well.

I am the other guy who had this problem on a '07 L, the initial poster you refer to had it easy by having one of the fuse boxes replaced. Now, in your case, if water is still getting into your housing, stop looking - there is your problem. Without your assembly sealed tight, you will never be able to fix this so make sure you have a good waterproof assembly before moving on. If the ballast itself is the problem, you can cross-reference a Toyota Koito ballast used in other HID-equipped cars. They run at the same specs as the Lexus unit, just make sure you identify the housing is the same shape with the same screw pattern so it can be bolted onto the housing (BTW, Lexus calls the ballast the HID ECU so be wary upon this term). You can replace the ballast and gasket by dropping the bumper and under covers, although you may opt to remove the headlight assembly instead. Be careful - there is a ground connection to the outer side of the fender with a rubber mount molded into the fitting. If this tears, it will not be snug upon refitting. Also, you may have to gently "open" the top of the fender to allow the tightly-fitted headlamp out/in without damage.

In a nutshell, be glad if your problem encompasses the bulb, the ballast, or the gaskets only. It was all crickets when I was asking for help on my issue, and I learned the hard way that this car has FIVE major sections just to turn the damn HI/Low beams on. Since getting it repaired was necessary for me to be able to pass inspection, I had no choice but to do it. That said, this car is no longer in the stable and I'm enjoying it's less complicated stable-mates, while the SO has the one under warranty. To the OP - Welcome and may you enjoy your time here in good health and good company!
Thanks for the reply...
i have changed the ballast, and the bulbs, and it's still acting up. I was thinking about swapping the bulbs once more just confirm and the water issue has since been dealt with. It really feels like a relay since it comes and goes when it wants (lately it hasn't been wanting at all) but when it does, it fires up fine with full force. I have checked the ground wire under the bumper, and though flimsy, it still conducts. Funny, when I remove the bumper, the light fires up fine. The freakjng thing is taunting me... I'll look into it later in the week when I have more time.
Thanks you
Old 05-18-17, 05:30 PM
GaborL
Rookie

Originally Posted by tlk2megoos

Hi again.
I just tried messing with the bulbs again, no luck. I have a big favor to ask. If there's any way you could access your old documents, maybe a diagram of which relay they replaced on your car, it would be a huge help. I'm at a dead halt here on this issue and it's driving me mad. I was contemplating setting the car on fire earlier, that's how bad it's bothering me. You said something about the ground cable that kind of dangles on the fender mount. I've seen it, it's still secured on both ends but the fender side of the cable wiggles a big, touching the metal. I'm sure it's supposed to, since it's ground, I'm not exactly sure if it's supposed to have a piece of plastic between it and the metal.
any and all help is greatly appreciated.
-Gabor
Old 05-23-17, 08:42 PM
tlk2megoos
Driver

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by GaborL
Hi again.
I just tried messing with the bulbs again, no luck. I have a big favor to ask. If there's any way you could access your old documents, maybe a diagram of which relay they replaced on your car, it would be a huge help. I'm at a dead halt here on this issue and it's driving me mad. I was contemplating setting the car on fire earlier, that's how bad it's bothering me. You said something about the ground cable that kind of dangles on the fender mount. I've seen it, it's still secured on both ends but the fender side of the cable wiggles a big, touching the metal. I'm sure it's supposed to, since it's ground, I'm not exactly sure if it's supposed to have a piece of plastic between it and the metal.
any and all help is greatly appreciated.
-Gabor
Hi there, I know the feeling. The ground cable(s) attached to the fender are meant to have slack for some reason (at least both of mine did). I knew for sure it was the relay since removing the headlight and plugging it into the other side made it work, you might try that just to be sure. Please check PM.