LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460L what is this sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-17, 08:09 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Any competent mechanic can diagnose a bad wheel bearing in just a minute. Basically, they'll jack up the front end and spin the wheel and check for a droning or grinding noise. Is the noise coming from the front or the back? The only other possible noise could be from the diff. This isn't an AWD is it?
Nope, not a AWD model, just a L model. It's coming from the driver's side front.

Is there a good DIY test, as I will jack up the wheel tonight or tomorrow to swap the rim ? If I can rule things out with out running to a shop it would be great.

My time is limited, as most "good" shops are closed on weekends. I try to avoid the chains when ever possable.
Old 03-31-17, 08:11 AM
jmcraney

Received 270 Likes on 205 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Hey all,

I picked up a really shockingly nice looing 2007 LS460L from Mercedes-Benz of Manchester, NH, a pretty high end dealer. I heard this on the test drive, as I live 2 hours from the dealer, it's not a quick hop, I asked them to adress it, or I would not be buying the car. I was told that the issue was "better" and he had others test drive the car and they could not hear or feel anything. From a higher end dealer, I expected more.

I posted one of the videos to youtube (too big to up on here)

https://youtu.be/Kif4nocSaB0

It does not sound like tires because I get the sound at 25mph and at 65-70mph it gets really loud.

What is this sound so I can invest a cost, if it's minor, not a big deal but, I need know what people think.
I think you should consider that this is related to the trim defect that plagued many of the '07s. The defect causes the cabin to be poorly isolated from outside sounds and that is especially noticeable when driving on wet roads.

Check here for more information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Old 03-31-17, 08:19 AM
dfkd
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 18 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Nope, not a AWD model, just a L model. It's coming from the driver's side front.

Is there a good DIY test, as I will jack up the wheel tonight or tomorrow to swap the rim ? If I can rule things out with out running to a shop it would be great.

My time is limited, as most "good" shops are closed on weekends. I try to avoid the chains when ever possable.
I think you're looking at tire or bearing most likely.
Might be a bit of work but moving the spare from between wheel positions with a drive between each would be good to check if it's the tire.
I had a bad tire on my 430 a few years back and could swear I needed bearings. New rubber made it completely silent.
It was eerie.

If you have somewhere to jack up, do some testing.
Sounds like you found exactly what you like. Would suck to lose it over a worn tire...
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 08:41 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by jmcraney
I think you should consider that this is related to the trim defect that plagued many of the '07s. The defect causes the cabin to be poorly isolated from outside sounds and that is especially noticeable when driving on wet roads.

Check here for more information: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...noise-fix.html
Thanks but, because of the noise in question, I cant hear any wind noise AT ALL. I did notice in the Lexus service history, they did something on this car for the wind noise.

This issue is BEYOND wind noise :- /
Old 03-31-17, 08:59 AM
jmcraney

Well, as I have said many times, it's not about "wind" noise, it is about how outside noises are heard inside the car. If "they did something on this car for wind noise" it is unlikely "they" fixed the trim as Lexus has not allowed dealers to do that type of fix as far as I know.

You might try folding in the side mirror while you are driving and see if that changes what you are hearing. If you don't perceive any change from that then the trim is likely secure. If you are not familiar with the mirror controls: the mirror control switch is a 3 position switch, Left/Center/Right - the mirrors fold in when you press the Right side of the switch and fold out when you press the Left side of the switch. Leaving the mirror switch in the Center position allows auto retraction and deployment.

Last edited by jmcraney; 03-31-17 at 09:06 AM.
DavidinCT (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 09:05 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Well, as I have said many times, it's not about "wind" noise, it is about how outside noises are heard inside the car. If "they did something on this car for wind noise" it is unlikely "they" fixed the trim as Lexus has not allowed dealers to do that type of fix as far as I know.

You might try folding in the side mirror while you are driving and see if that changes what you are hearing. If you don't perceive any change from that then the trim is likely secure.
The noise is loud. You can feel it in the car. I will try that but, even if that is an issue, it does not solve the issue on hand.

Once this issue is resolved, I will look deeper into it. Like I said, Lexus did something to fix the win noise you speak of (with the side mirrors). I have studied that thread very very hard.

The car itself is wisper quiet but, you can hear this noise as in the video from the drivers front corner

I have been looking at a LS460 for a long time now.
Old 03-31-17, 09:14 AM
jmcraney

I can tell that I am not being helpful - my apologies.
Old 03-31-17, 09:25 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

I can tell that I am not being helpful - my apologies.
No problem, thanks for the input.

It's just that the issue is beyond wind noise(or noise coming in the cablin) and just trying to get to the bottom of it or returning the car if it cant be fixed.
Old 03-31-17, 09:57 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

To test for bad wheel bearing:
  • Jack up affected corner until tire no longer contacts pavement
  • Grab the wheel/tire with your hands and manually check for play side-to-side and up-and-down
  • If it moves at all it will need to be replaced.
DavidinCT (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 10:16 AM
Tec80
Advanced

Received 128 Likes on 99 Posts

Listening to that, it sounds like a wheel bearing. Wheel bearings can be bad from the factory (as with my 1995 Corvette, which I put up with for 20 years before finally replacing the rear wheel bearings), go bad on their own (as with the RR bearing on my Prius or the LF bearing on my LS460), or from curb impacts where the wheel smacks the curb (like when I overcooked the entrance into a roundabout on an icy morning in the Prius). And the bearings may not show any play whatsoever, or be detectable by spinning the wheel (due to disc/caliper drag and damping). Sometimes the only way to detect an issue is by removing the rotor and rapidly spinning the hub - and even then it could be very difficult to detect the faint noise. Sometimes you just have to replace them after making sure which corner the noise is coming from.
DavidinCT (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 10:16 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I can tell you really want the car. If it were me, I would take the car to lexus this weekend. My dealer is open saturday and sunday. I bet a diagnostic fee is around $100, maybe $150. That is about the same cost as a pre-purchase inspection. I think they will know the issue quickly and the worst thing that happens is you are out $100-$150 if it turns out to be something majorly expensive. I'm not all pro-dealer because they can be more expensive fixing things but my dealer will apply the diagnostic fee as a credit towards the bill if you fix what they tell you is wrong. Some dealers have like 10% or 20-% off recommended service coupons you could use to lower cost as well. Just a suggestion if I was in your position. I know how it is to get so emotionally attached to a car. We tell ourselves we shouldn't but when we find a really nice one we really want it to work even if there is a red flag.
DavidinCT (03-31-17)
Old 03-31-17, 01:14 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

If it's a front wheel bearing the noise will become worse when turning. You can isolate the side depending on which direction you turn...if you're turning left and the noise increase, it's the right....if you're turning right and the noise increase, it's the left. When the tire turns it usually stresses the bearing much more than rolling just straight (not always, but more often than not).

But personally that sounds like tire noise to me...I don't care what the dealer told you regarding tires, balances, rotations...they all lie. And lie very well.

It also could be rust built up on the rotor because it's probably sat for a while and it's been rainy and damp in that area the dealer is located in (I don't live far away so unfortunately I know).
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
DavidinCT (03-31-17), mckellyb (04-01-17)
Old 03-31-17, 04:43 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase
If it's a front wheel bearing the noise will become worse when turning. You can isolate the side depending on which direction you turn...if you're turning left and the noise increase, it's the right....if you're turning right and the noise increase, it's the left. When the tire turns it usually stresses the bearing much more than rolling just straight (not always, but more often than not).
Interesting... That is very interesting. I got on to a on-ramp today (about 35-40mph) and it's a long left curve before you get on the highway. The noise was more noticeable and defined at that point and normalized when I started going strait (been driving in this car for a total of about 5 hours so far, so normal is the noise I hear when driving). It was something that grabbed my attention.

But personally that sounds like tire noise to me...I don't care what the dealer told you regarding tires, balances, rotations...they all lie. And lie very well.
I am 46 years old, I have owned about 10-12 cars through out my life, never mind the 3-4 cars my wife has owned from the time we first met. Trust me, I know what your talking about. The fact of the matter I was told clearly one thing, and I will quote him in a court of law if I have to.

Going to pull the full size spare and drop it on, if I hear/feel something different, I'll take the original tire and try to get it balanced ($10 or so for 1 tire) to see if there is a change.

It also could be rust built up on the rotor because it's probably sat for a while and it's been rainy and damp in that area the dealer is located in (I don't live far away so unfortunately I know).
When driving strait and pressing the breaks, they stop on a dime and don't pull in any direction. It's another thing on the list to check. I did check and it didn't look rusted on the rotor.
Old 03-31-17, 05:36 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Well Davidinct, if it is a wheel bearing that's good news...pretty easy fix.

And if it is a wheel bearing I'd insist that whoever changes it uses a Koyo wheel bearing, its the factory wheel bearing at half the factory price. I've used them in this car and they work great...I've used other aftermarket brands and they don't. Trust me on that.
The following 2 users liked this post by Doublebase:
ASAS (03-31-17), DavidinCT (04-01-17)
Old 03-31-17, 06:08 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Well Davidinct, if it is a wheel bearing that's good news...pretty easy fix.

And if it is a wheel bearing I'd insist that whoever changes it uses a Koyo wheel bearing, its the factory wheel bearing at half the factory price. I've used them in this car and they work great...I've used other aftermarket brands and they don't. Trust me on that.
Got a part number for the left wheel ? Or a link go a good source ?

Not even sure where to start but, if you have one available that you know of, let me know. I was pricing OEM and they are around $400 (ouch)

Tomorrow is going to be an interesting day. If this problem is even changed a little bit by changing the tire, I might look into legal advice...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 03-31-17 at 06:18 PM.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460L what is this sound ?