LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460L what is this sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-17, 08:37 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

You don't need to remove those hex bolts. If you refer to the pic you provided, at the one o'clock position of that hex bolt, you can see one of the bolts you need to remove. The other is at the bottom at the 5 o'clock position which you can just make out in your pic. As I recall they're 14 mm bolts.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 09:28 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
You don't need to remove those hex bolts. If you refer to the pic you provided, at the one o'clock position of that hex bolt, you can see one of the bolts you need to remove. The other is at the bottom at the 5 o'clock position which you can just make out in your pic. As I recall they're 14 mm bolts.
Ok, thanks ! Looks easy enough. For me who is not a car expert maybe 2 hours to do the whole thing. My wheel bearing shipped today. Maybe by the weekend.. Crossing fingers.
Old 04-04-17, 10:38 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

If you really like the car, keep it. File a complaint with the local better business bureau. The dealership will be informed of the complaint and it will be available on line for all to see. And then blast them on Yelp, Yellow Pages, Google reviews, etc. If they offer to fix the problem, tell them to go f_ck themselves and that you fixed the defect yourself.

Edit: Just one thing - I had a similar problem - noise from the left wheel bearing on long, right hand, sweeping bends. Took it to my dealer (Lexus Platinum warranty) and they diagnosed the problem and replaced the right side wheel bearing - noise gone!

Last edited by sktn77a; 04-04-17 at 10:41 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by sktn77a:
DavidinCT (04-04-17), GHARP57 (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 10:38 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Woo awesome David! Look forward to hearing your results over the weekend!
DavidinCT (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 10:47 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
If you really like the car, keep it. File a complaint with the local better business bureau. The dealership will be informed of the complaint and it will be available on line for all to see. And then blast them on Yelp, Yellow Pages, Google reviews, etc. If they offer to fix the problem, tell them to go f_ck themselves and that you fixed the defect yourself.

Edit: Just one thing - I had a similar problem - noise from the left wheel bearing on long, right hand, sweeping bends. Took it to my dealer (Lexus Platinum warranty) and they diagnosed the problem and replaced the right side wheel bearing - noise gone!
They are coming down (2 1/2 hours) to get the car registered tomorrow...Let's see how that works out.

The sound on my car clearly sounds like it's coming from the left. My wife even confirmed that from the passengers seat, So that is the one I ordered..

Crossing fingers that IS the problem.

Originally Posted by GHARP57
Woo awesome David! Look forward to hearing your results over the weekend!
I hope it fixes it, or otherwise a rubber room might fit... It's driving me crazy...

Then I can attempt to deal with the 2nd issue I found...sigh..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-04-17 at 11:40 AM.
Old 04-04-17, 11:42 AM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
If you really like the car, keep it. File a complaint with the local better business bureau. The dealership will be informed of the complaint and it will be available on line for all to see. And then blast them on Yelp, Yellow Pages, Google reviews, etc. If they offer to fix the problem, tell them to go f_ck themselves and that you fixed the defect yourself
Seems a bit ridiculous since they offered to unwind the deal and give a full refund. Not many dealers would do that.
Old 04-04-17, 12:01 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by teedub21
Seems a bit ridiculous since they offered to unwind the deal and give a full refund. Not many dealers would do that.
Read my post here from this thread...Just because they offered a refund, do you think it should excuse everything else they did ?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...ml#post9823326
Old 04-04-17, 12:07 PM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT

Then I can attempt to deal with the 2nd issue I found...sigh..

UGH a 2nd issue????
Old 04-04-17, 03:43 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

DavidinCT, my apologies for not getting back to you with details on how easy it should be to replace this bearing assembly.

I had a long-impacted wisdom tooth start causing problems, so I've been out of it for a few days.

Turns out, it's bad when your jawbone starts shedding bone through the gum.

Anyway, it should be pretty simple, though every vehicle is a little different than any other one, it seems. Oh, and while an assembly might appear to be overkill/wasteful, having done bearings and races a few times in the past, yeah, I'll take a few bolts to swap the whole thing out and not wonder for 20K miles if I got the race pressed in perfectly true.
DavidinCT (04-04-17)
Old 04-04-17, 05:16 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by GHARP57
UGH a 2nd issue????
Yea, every time I start the car, I get a A/C off on the screen and it resets to 75F.... Yea could be a big one... A few things I need time to check but, dealing with this issue BEFORE anything else. It could be just a minor adjustment but, pulling the whole glove box could be a hair tricky. Nothing I am afraid of tho. DAM ! figured it out a day after I ordered my remote start for it ! (Remote start is worthless in the summer if they A/C does not auto come on)

The Part is Due on Thursday so getting it done this weekend, unless the wife forces us to do something (no worries there will be a fight if that happens) it will be done and all should be known. Need a few small tools but, a quick stop at harbor freight (on my way home from work !) should resolve that so I can be ready.

For those wondering...I will change my sig after this issue is fixed... As I do own the car now..

Originally Posted by mckellyb
DavidinCT, my apologies for not getting back to you with details on how easy it should be to replace this bearing assembly.

I had a long-impacted wisdom tooth start causing problems, so I've been out of it for a few days.

Turns out, it's bad when your jawbone starts shedding bone through the gum.
No worries, thanks for the reply. Ouch ! Sorry to hear that !

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-04-17 at 05:31 PM.
Old 04-05-17, 03:47 PM
mdpresco
Pit Crew

Received 31 Likes on 25 Posts

Yea, every time I start the car, I get a A/C off on the screen and it resets to 75F.... Yea could be a big one... A few things I need time to check but, dealing with this issue BEFORE anything else. It could be just a minor adjustment but, pulling the whole glove box could be a hair tricky. Nothing I am afraid of tho. DAM ! figured it out a day after I ordered my remote start for it ! (Remote start is worthless in the summer if they A/C does not auto come on)

The Part is Due on Thursday so getting it done this weekend, unless the wife forces us to do something (no worries there will be a fight if that happens) it will be done and all should be known. Need a few small tools but, a quick stop at harbor freight (on my way home from work !) should resolve that so I can be ready.

For those wondering...I will change my sig after this issue is fixed... As I do own the car now..

No worries, thanks for the reply. Ouch ! Sorry to hear that !
My 2007 started doing the A/C reset. I found the A/C filter behind the glove box was installed incorrectly at the dealer. After putting the system on RECIRC and removing the cover, the filter was removed and then put back in position. This solved the problem for me.
DavidinCT (04-06-17)
Old 04-06-17, 06:00 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by mdpresco
My 2007 started doing the A/C reset. I found the A/C filter behind the glove box was installed incorrectly at the dealer. After putting the system on RECIRC and removing the cover, the filter was removed and then put back in position. This solved the problem for me.
I'll be honest, I have not even had time to try that (so busy over the last week), this weekend I will try that after I do the bearing.

Thanks for your advice, I am crossing my fingers that is all it is...'

I got the remote starter in (as in the DIY install), so I hope this adresses this or it's pointless in the summer for cooling off the car before getting into it !!!

Edit: Today when I got home from work, I left the car on, put it on RECIRC, pulled out the filter (it was kind of hard to get out), and put it back in so it "snapped" in place. I'll try tomorrow when I leave for work.... hoping for the best.

And my part came in today ! I cant wait till the weekend to try to install it.

EDIT 2: So reseating the air filter didn't help, it's still doing the same thing. I think when I have the car apart this weekend, I am going to pull the battery for a bit.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-07-17 at 06:37 AM.
Old 04-08-17, 06:52 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

It's a little scary to find what a "hard reboot" can "fix".
Old 04-09-17, 12:12 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Any tips on getting the wheel bearing off...we have been banging it ad even cutting into to weaken it. Dam thing os not coming off...

Any idea ?
Old 04-09-17, 04:04 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Any tips on getting the wheel bearing off...we have been banging it ad even cutting into to weaken it. Dam thing os not coming off...

Any idea ?
This is the reason why I suggested letting an independent mechanic do it...it's not that it's a hard job, but because the car is almost ten years old it becomes very hard to get the bearing out of the knuckle for a do it yourselfer at home. The tech can air chisel that thing out in minutes.

If you haven't got it out by now you can try air chiseling it out. If you don't have an air chisel you can use a regular hammer and chisel and wedge the chisel between the mating surface of the bearing and knuckle. You can try to get penetration oil between the surface of the bearing and let it sit for a while and try hammering it again. You can use a puller. You can screw the bolts in half way in the back of the bearing and try to hammer on the bolt heads. If none of that works just get a bigger hammer.
DavidinCT (04-09-17)

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460L what is this sound ?