LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2007 LS460L what is this sound ?

Search this Thread

Old 04-09-17, 06:10 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
This is the reason why I suggested letting an independent mechanic do it...it's not that it's a hard job, but because the car is almost ten years old it becomes very hard to get the bearing out of the knuckle for a do it yourselfer at home. The tech can air chisel that thing out in minutes.

If you haven't got it out by now you can try air chiseling it out. If you don't have an air chisel you can use a regular hammer and chisel and wedge the chisel between the mating surface of the bearing and knuckle. You can try to get penetration oil between the surface of the bearing and let it sit for a while and try hammering it again. You can use a puller. You can screw the bolts in half way in the back of the bearing and try to hammer on the bolt heads. If none of that works just get a bigger hammer.
Well, its done and you are 100% right, I am glad I didn't do it on my own... OMG... Well in theory, looking at needs to be done, if it came right out, it would of been a 20-25 min job. Banging with sledge hammer didn't even move it. After about an hour and 1/2 trying to bang it, cut it, everything we could think of, we pulled it off the car, then got to the back of it and slammed it with all of our might maybe 50 times and step by step, it finally came out. What a freaking nightmare ! I am freaking tired !!!!

Now that it's back together, the sound is no more ! I do hear a faint rubbing sound but, we tacked one thing today and it was big...

Also something I noticed about this car that I am NOT crazy about in this process. I took the car to a family members house to help me with it (he knows his crap), about an hour and 1/2 from my house So as you know we had to pull off the rotor and you have to disconnect the ABS from the back of the bearing. Well, in the process we wanted to turn the wheel to get a side angle to work with. SO, I started the car, and as expected with the ABS plug removed, the dash went haywire. ABS fail, Break failure among others. Figured no harm no foul, once we get it all back together, the car would check the systems and reset it all. BOY WAS I WRONG.

So after we were done, started up the car, the failure lights were all still on (stopping ABS, TRAC, and all break systems). I have Techstream but, not with me. So I just drove it home. Hit the breaks on the highway and they locked up, not safe at all to drive. So slowly went home, used Techstream and reset the codes, took it for another test drive, all is fine.

It found an issue with a break, and it disabled it, as when I hit the break it would pull to the right hard while locked up (showing me that the left hand side/drivers was not even working at all). I have never seen this in a car before. And it was very scary to drive, just tapping the breaks they would lock up.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-09-17 at 06:19 PM.
Old 04-10-17, 01:43 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Wow that's crazy, all that from just a disconnected abs wire? You'd think the car would just stop normal but without any abs...never heard of anything like that. Pretty scary.

Glad the bearing came out ok, that's a lot of aggravation to handle with a newly purchased car.
Old 04-10-17, 06:43 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by Doublebase

Glad the bearing came out ok, that's a lot of aggravation to handle with a newly purchased car.
That is a understatement.
Old 04-11-17, 09:31 PM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

I wonder if disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds to do a hard reset would have cleared the lights and the system? Nice job on the wheel bearing glad the big noise was solved and it was an inexpensive repair.
Old 04-12-17, 05:50 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by LS430FL
I wonder if disconnecting the battery for 30 seconds to do a hard reset would have cleared the lights and the system? Nice job on the wheel bearing glad the big noise was solved and it was an inexpensive repair.
Well, it's sort of fixed, or shall I say better. The fant rubbing sound got worse. I tried as the price I could not resist was one from a totaled car that was $45 a 2008 with 75K figured it would be fine but, same issue and clearly the symtoms show that it's a wheel bearing (moning/rubbing sound). So I ordered a BRAND new one and it shoudl be here today. At least it wont take 2 hours of hard banging to get it out. :-\ I should be able to do this one by myself as the wheel bearing should come out with a little work.

I tried to save a few dollars (over $175) and paid the price...Oh well lession learned. I did get refund on the damaged part so no loss besides time.

I have a old laptop with Techstream on it (one of the ebay specials) that I used for my LS430 and I used it on my LS460 to clear the codes. After clearing the codes the break system worked fine.

So, not fixed YET but, maybe even tonight...

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-12-17 at 05:54 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 07:35 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Never try to reuse wear items (like a wheel bearing) from a used vehicle unless you have no other choice. You'll always be better off replacing with new.

Glad you know the issue and how to fix it though
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (04-12-17)
Old 04-12-17, 09:21 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by 213374U
Never try to reuse wear items (like a wheel bearing) from a used vehicle unless you have no other choice. You'll always be better off replacing with new.

Glad you know the issue and how to fix it though

All I really know, this BETTER be the issue...

I hear ya, funds were just a little tight last week as I just got the car and put a good chunk down on it. I try to avoid them but, time to time the discount is so large it might be worth it.

You do get what you pay for tho. Anyway new one is out for delivery, figuring it might take an hour and 1/2 max to do, so I might attempt it tonight..

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-12-17 at 09:27 AM.
Old 04-12-17, 02:51 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

I guess I cant win... I got the BRAND NEW one in today and the ABS connector is completely flattened and broken off.... The box was perfect. WTF... sigh...

Is this car EVER going to be fixed ???

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-12-17 at 02:58 PM.
Old 04-12-17, 04:56 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 318 Likes on 276 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
Is this car EVER going to be fixed ???
Yes, and when it is, it'll feel great!

DavidinCT (04-12-17)
Old 04-13-17, 06:24 PM
Gunnin4Em
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

That's ridiculous how the MB dealership didn't want to fix that issue. Hope you get everything fixed so you can get back on the road.
Old 04-14-17, 09:48 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Yes, and when it is, it'll feel great!

Now the latest advanture here. So I contacted the company I ordered it from. It's a shipping issue, so the shipping company needs to pick it up (need to wait for them now, 2-3 days claimed), then they will ship out a replacement.

Another week...then I need to schedule the time to install it.... sigh...

Originally Posted by Gunnin4Em
That's ridiculous how the MB dealership didn't want to fix that issue. Hope you get everything fixed so you can get back on the road.
I am far from done with these morons. I am going to write how the whole thing went down. Step by step, lie by lie and I am going to forward to their corportate group, also all the local TV and news TV stations where they are.

No one should get away with treating a customer like this. They did this because I live 2 states over. I guess they dont know how "small" the internet acutally is. It's what I do for a living...

Just because they offered me a refund on the car, does not excuse what they did..... .They EVEN over chaged me for the car... of course after I told them there was a check in the mail the next day, it still does not excluse it.

Last edited by DavidinCT; 04-14-17 at 09:52 AM.
mckellyb (04-16-17)
Old 04-20-17, 04:53 AM
GHARP57
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

Hows the repair going David?
Old 04-20-17, 06:36 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Originally Posted by GHARP57
Hows the repair going David?
Ugh....the part I got was broken, so now the replacement part is due on Monday....

Never win here.... everything is a hassle so far...
Old 04-20-17, 07:45 PM
caverman
Instructor

Received 194 Likes on 120 Posts

Getting in on your thread. After reading it all I want to see how it turns out because I've been in similar situations. I reminds me of the slight fiasco I just went through to get my door locks replaced.

I almost bought a '07-'09 when a hail storm killed my '04 LS430 that was in fantastic shape just a few weeks ago. I was seeing local LS430s that weren't up to my standard unless they were way overpriced which is why I was thinking about financing a little and going to a LS460. However, I ended up finding a good 1 owner, no accidents LS430 with good Lexus service history. The color is not my first choice but it's not bad either. I chose good maintenance over color. I had to fix things like the front door locks, steering wheel, fog light, and center console and was able to do all of that myself without any out of pocket money...just my time and labor. I still have a couple small door dings I will eventually get PDR done on but the best thing is I was only out $1,500 (which I paid out of pocket) vs about $5k - $7k had I gone to the LS460.

Good luck with yours and keep us posted. I'm also curious how you like the "L" version over you LS430. I think I will go for the "L" on my next one but I'm also a little concerned it might be too big on the inside. My plan is to move up to a 2013+ in a few years when they get down into the $25k range.
Old 04-21-17, 07:31 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Caverman, did you buy that '05 in Rockwall which had about 127K on it, asking $9K? Silver/black, IIRC.

Quick Reply: 2007 LS460L what is this sound ?