LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Will No Ethanol make a Difference

Search this Thread

Old 09-14-18, 06:11 PM
ES2LS
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

So non-ethanol gas is completely safe for 2013 LS? I thought a sticker on gas cao stated not to use non-ethanol or maybe it was a sticker on the pump saying any car before 20## shouldnt use non-ethanol unless something-something...
and how does the octane on non-ethanol effect whatever?
Old 09-14-18, 07:32 PM
Luscombe8A
Pit Crew

Received 22 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by ES2LS
So non-ethanol gas is completely safe for 2013 LS? I thought a sticker on gas cao stated not to use non-ethanol or maybe it was a sticker on the pump saying any car before 20## shouldnt use non-ethanol unless something-something...
Don't know about the above but when I ran premium with ethanol in it, my car threw a code. First time it happened the first week I had the car and I was not sure what caused it. I reset the ECU.

A couple weeks later I filled up with premium with ethanol in it and about half way through the tank it throws the same code again. Don't remember the code but basically the sensors in the exhaust were saying they were not hot enough.

Reset the code and have been using premium fuel without ethanol, exclusively for the last 9,000 miles. It has not thrown any codes. When on the road, I go out of my way to find the premium fuel. Around my home I get it from the same station.

I don't believe you will have a problem running any fuel without ethanol.
Old 09-15-18, 11:55 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

No, that label warns to not use more than 10% or 15% gasohol in your LS.

If you put E-85 in it, it won't run, but I can see someone trying this.

Non-ethanol gasoline is not only perfectly fine for every single mass-produced gasoline engine, but also, unless the engine has been modified, straight gasoline is preferable.

Last edited by mckellyb; 09-16-18 at 05:15 AM.
Old 09-17-18, 07:53 AM
ES2LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by mckellyb
No, that label warns to not use more than 10% or 15% gasohol in your LS.

If you put E-85 in it, it won't run, but I can see someone trying this.

Non-ethanol gasoline is not only perfectly fine for every single mass-produced gasoline engine, but also, unless the engine has been modified, straight gasoline is preferable.
thank you will have to try the non-ethanol gas. Would love to get more mileage.
Old 09-17-18, 07:55 AM
ES2LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Luscombe8A
Don't know about the above but when I ran premium with ethanol in it, my car threw a code. First time it happened the first week I had the car and I was not sure what caused it. I reset the ECU.

A couple weeks later I filled up with premium with ethanol in it and about half way through the tank it throws the same code again. Don't remember the code but basically the sensors in the exhaust were saying they were not hot enough.

Reset the code and have been using premium fuel without ethanol, exclusively for the last 9,000 miles. It has not thrown any codes. When on the road, I go out of my way to find the premium fuel. Around my home I get it from the same station.

I don't believe you will have a problem running any fuel without ethanol.
sounds good, will give it a try. Thanks
Old 09-17-18, 08:11 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

thank you will have to try the non-ethanol gas. Would love to get more mileage.
ES2LS - Theoretically with non-ethanol gas, you will get better mpg. I did the math on it before. Not that the math is going to be 100% accurate to real world conditions, but it should be relative and close enough for what I was doing. E10 (or is it E15 now?) versus non-ethanol (E0), and as I recall I think the numbers were in the 2% - 3% range. Meaning your fuel mileage would increase 2% to 3%. So … in my opinion … you will not notice a fuel mileage increase. I believe testing would have to occur scientifically to be able to effectively detect an mpg increase. I will also say, all else being equal, you will yield higher mpg … but will you definitely detect it? Doubtful. Let's say it's a 2.5% increase. That would be from 20.0 mpg to 20.5 mpg. My mpg varies from tank to tank WAY MORE than that. It all depends on what I do with the LS. Around town and some amount of idling, and my mpg is PUKE. Interstate cruising is generally higher than 25 mpg. So … 0.5 mpg to me would be, "noise," in the data.

What you will detect, is a higher gas bill. At least in my area, non-ethanol is anywhere from $0.60 to $0.80 a gallon more (90 octane non-ethanol). I know this because I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp with an LA360, that I only run non-ethanol in. And that car's mpg is DOUBLE PUKE!

You can find non ethanol gas as at www.pure-gas.org
Old 09-17-18, 08:36 AM
ES2LS
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
ES2LS - Theoretically with non-ethanol gas, you will get better mpg. I did the math on it before. Not that the math is going to be 100% accurate to real world conditions, but it should be relative and close enough for what I was doing. E10 (or is it E15 now?) versus non-ethanol (E0), and as I recall I think the numbers were in the 2% - 3% range. Meaning your fuel mileage would increase 2% to 3%. So … in my opinion … you will not notice a fuel mileage increase. I believe testing would have to occur scientifically to be able to effectively detect an mpg increase. I will also say, all else being equal, you will yield higher mpg … but will you definitely detect it? Doubtful. Let's say it's a 2.5% increase. That would be from 20.0 mpg to 20.5 mpg. My mpg varies from tank to tank WAY MORE than that. It all depends on what I do with the LS. Around town and some amount of idling, and my mpg is PUKE. Interstate cruising is generally higher than 25 mpg. So … 0.5 mpg to me would be, "noise," in the data.

What you will detect, is a higher gas bill. At least in my area, non-ethanol is anywhere from $0.60 to $0.80 a gallon more (90 octane non-ethanol). I know this because I have a 1972 Plymouth Scamp with an LA360, that I only run non-ethanol in. And that car's mpg is DOUBLE PUKE!

You can find non ethanol gas as at www.pure-gas.org
i notice the difference between 90 and 93, about 50 miles more. Also, prices vary by $1.50 in Chicagoland to suburbs ethanol. I'm budget conscious to an extent but i refuse to let myself get robbed filling up in city, premium can go up to $4.89. But the areas where premium gas cars are abundant the prices are cheaper and non-ethanol is available for cheaper than ethanol.
thanks for info.