LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Steering locked up HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 01:10 PM
jmcraney

Received 273 Likes on 207 Posts

Sorry the battery didn't help. Please let us know how your problem was resolved.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-05-17 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-08-17, 04:08 PM
slinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default @nd Rack locked up

Well I started this thread. I talked to Lexus face to face, they gave me a list of things to check. (they owed me a favor for running my wife's SC430 into a pole) anyway all checked out so instead of paying $4500.00 for a new rack (they said they never have sold one) I opted for a used one out of a salvage car that was hit in the back. it had.60K miles on the car. once delivered and installed same thing NO steering left or right. I am not saying hard to steer but NO steering. My fault for not bench testing prior to install. I now have a re-manufactured unit coming. all codes were cleared prior to install. I getting some what worried, I would not want this to happen while driving. I called Lexus Corporate and started a case, just in case my wife will need to collect life insurance!. I will update once reman unit installed. I have talked to some very knowledgeable people since this has started and all are scratching their heads.My belief of the lack of interweb information on this is most people who own a LS460 simply brings to dealer and dont even care what the issue is or was. Out!
Old 05-08-17, 06:53 PM
jmcraney

Originally Posted by slinky
Well I started this thread. I talked to Lexus face to face, they gave me a list of things to check. (they owed me a favor for running my wife's SC430 into a pole) anyway all checked out so instead of paying $4500.00 for a new rack (they said they never have sold one) I opted for a used one out of a salvage car that was hit in the back. it had.60K miles on the car. once delivered and installed same thing NO steering left or right. I am not saying hard to steer but NO steering. My fault for not bench testing prior to install. I now have a re-manufactured unit coming. all codes were cleared prior to install. I getting some what worried, I would not want this to happen while driving. I called Lexus Corporate and started a case, just in case my wife will need to collect life insurance!. I will update once reman unit installed. I have talked to some very knowledgeable people since this has started and all are scratching their heads.My belief of the lack of interweb information on this is most people who own a LS460 simply brings to dealer and dont even care what the issue is or was. Out!
I hope that someone who is knowledgable about this will get involved in our discussion as I am not well informed about this issue. It seems very unlikely to me that the steering would become inoperable while you are driving. However I do believe that the steering is probably disabled when the ignition is off and the shifter is in Park as an antitheft feature. On cars that use a key for the ignition there is a mechanical feature that stops the steering wheel from being turned when the shifter is in Park and the key is removed. I believe that cars with wireless keys, like the LS460s, implement a similar feature some way but I am not sure how. So, be sure you get it out of Park to see if the steering is truly locked. There is a slot near the shifter to release the shifter when the battery is dead. You might also give some consideration that this is related to the car being disabled remotely because of some legal action - I believe it is possible for the car to be disabled via the LexusLink feature.

Last edited by jmcraney; 05-09-17 at 02:07 AM.
Old 05-09-17, 06:35 AM
jmcraney

After some "Googling" I have found some more information.

Most nations require cars to have two independent antitheft systems. One of those is usually a steering column lock and for keyless cars it's an "Electronic Steering Column Lock."

I didn't find any reports of ESCL problems with Toyota/Lexus vehicles, but there are lots of reports of Nissan cars with ESCL problems.

Here is a link to a low-tech explanation: https://www.quora.com/What-is-an-ele...ng-column-lock
Old 05-09-17, 03:54 PM
slinky
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello, the problem is in the rack for sure. but what we dont know is if something is locking it up electrically? Talked to AC Delco, (they rebuild the rack and pinions) they stated the rack with or without power should still turn (fail safe issue) ya know brakes and steering should not fully fail under almost all conditions. Anyway I will update this weekend.
Old 05-10-17, 07:28 AM
bezee
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by slinky
Glad you started this thread. Well I brought my car to the dealer and they checked it thoroughly and it wasnt the computer but it is the steering gear assembly. Definitely not what i wanted to hear...they are saying $2600 in parts and another $600 in labor. Just shoot me...I can get a better price on the OEM part myself and save $900 so im going to just get the part and have them put it in. I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 08-08-17, 06:54 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

So last saturday we had a good down pour i had to drive thru some water about 8in or so high. Drove thru it slow for about 100 feet.

Got home parked in garage and the next evening i started the car no issues. I drove a couple miles parked came back out 20 mins later and the power steering is locked up. A couple restarts no change. I managed to drive it back lucky it was short drive no real traffic and mostly straight aways.

Later that night i took my code reader no codes. Started up no issues. Backed out of garage turned it off back on no power steering again. Ran codes got the c1555 code. Pulled it back in garage did some research.

I am guessing the rack got a good bath and water messed with the wiring connectors getting too wet. I sprayed some WD40 over the connectors a good dose. Started up no issues a couple times. The next 2 mornings so far no issues. I think i read somewhere that another owner had the same issue.

I don't use the car for work so it sits most days until my days off. I am hoping it will not return and just have to watch high waters in the future.
The following 2 users liked this post by johnnyg66:
2008LKA (07-30-22), moodyblues (06-17-22)
Old 08-09-17, 08:00 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

C1555 is a steering fault in the relay. Water likely got into the relay. Not sure on a fix, but a visit to the dealer (Toyota dealer even), is in order.
Old 08-09-17, 10:04 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Yeah. I tried this morning and it failed again. Took about 5 restarts for it to work again. Hard to believe that water caused this issue. I mean it didnt flood the front end. Guess enough to splash up into it.
Old 08-09-17, 11:29 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Do you happen to have a pic of where this relay is located? I wonder if it would be possible to put some kind of water-resistant shield around it to hopefully prevent this issue from ever occurring.
Old 08-11-17, 06:25 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Not sure what relay there is. I read on another thread that someone with same issue would rock the steering wheel just as you would start it up. It would free up the error. I tried it 3x and worked everytime. If ididnt do it it would lock up. Odd.

I dropped it off at the garage i usually take it to.. See what they find.
Old 08-18-17, 04:10 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Anyone know how to release these connector locks on this EPS?? I have tied a few ideas no luck. The service does not say exactly how to do it? Other than it swings down. Anyone??
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering locked up HELP!-eps.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 08-19-17, 09:05 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Don't know who this guy is but Thank You. Just what i needed to know.

Old 08-20-17, 04:58 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts

Glad you found that youtube and thanks for the update.

Is your shop able to 'fix' the issue?.
Old 08-21-17, 07:50 AM
Ls460kidd
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

So did u fix the issues

Quick Reply: Power Steering locked up HELP!