LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Power Steering locked up HELP!

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 08:27 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Not yet. Can't get to it till this weekend. My normal shop just said new rack and EPS for 4k. I will update later.
Old 08-22-17, 09:38 PM
Tman6852
10th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This same thing just happened to me tonight! I just bought the car and haven't drove it a 50 miles. So any help would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-23-17, 05:05 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by Tman6852
This same thing just happened to me tonight! I just bought the car and haven't drove it a 50 miles. So any help would be greatly appreciated.

Can you free it up by turning the steering wheel back and forth just after you hit the start button??

It frees up all the time for me. I can drive it just fine till i shut it off. Will replace the EPS tomorrow.

Last edited by johnnyg66; 08-23-17 at 06:02 AM.
The following users liked this post:
moodyblues (06-17-22)
Old 08-23-17, 06:15 AM
Tman6852
10th Gear

It does reset I do notice if the traction light on the dash is on then the steering will be stiff. The last time it occurred, I reset was fine made a right turn as it returned to center it happened and now the SW was at 6/12 position to keep the car straight. You are just replacing the EPS but not the rack is that the same as the ECU I'm confused a little. I have a few other issue I have to work on like a very stiff rear air and the headlights not leveling and angled down.
Old 08-23-17, 05:43 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Yes, The EPS is the ECU for steering.
Old 08-24-17, 03:11 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Well i was all set to change the EPS today. But i noticed that for the past few days its all been working fine. I am not sure when it started doing that. I did drive a 300 mile round trip last Monday. I am holding off to see if it starts acting up again. Too be continued....
Old 08-27-17, 07:17 AM
Tman6852
10th Gear

Johnny
nothing like leaving me hanging lol I was all excited to know the results. Where is the ECU located I have been trying to do searches but nothing specific. You said you have a ECU(since this is my first Lexus and only a 7 days into it) does a used one have to be out of a LS.
Old 08-27-17, 08:31 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by Tman6852
Johnny
nothing like leaving me hanging lol I was all excited to know the results. Where is the ECU located I have been trying to do searches but nothing specific. You said you have a ECU(since this is my first Lexus and only a 7 days into it) does a used one have to be out of a LS.

Sorry Man,

This photo you can clearly see the EPS module. Look to the lower left side it has a green label on it. Look close at yours and see what Toyota part number yours is. Most 07 08 had the same one. And yes has to be same LS part.

I wish i knew the answer to mine. So far its been good no lock ups. Drove another 300 mile round trip no issues. I have a used one i bought salvage for $80. Will keep it to whenever i may need it. Does yours free up every time you move the steering wheel back and forth as you start it?? I did this everytime until i was trying to make a video on the issue. I noticed it didnt lock up and has been that way ever since. So since last Wed.

I recall another member mentioned almost the same issue and his went away soon after too.

BTW this is not my engine bay. It is from another post by another member.
Attached Thumbnails Power Steering locked up HELP!-ls460-bay.jpg  
Old 08-27-17, 09:51 AM
Tman6852
10th Gear

It's funny if I start the car and the steering wheel sensor light doesn't come on I know it's good but if the traction light comes on then the steering wheel light will come on and I have no steering. Sometimes I can turn it off and turn it right back on and it works other times I've had to drive it several miles turn it off and it clears it for example yesterday it started without the problem and performed good for 10 miles I was waiting for someone outside of building with it running i went to take off turned out of the parking lot and the code threw and had to drive 5-6 miles with a very stiff. Parked the car shut it off half hour later I figured it would be clear but I had to finish the drive home with it stiff on my way home I tried to times shut it off restart it no change but as I pulled into the drive shut it off it was fine that's what's happening
Old 08-27-17, 11:51 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Yes, that is a different than my error. Have you pulled a code when it happens?? Mine was a P15** something i do not recall it now but it pointed more to the EPS module.

If you don't have a reader than buy one. A simple bluetooth type are cheap and work very well.
Old 09-30-17, 10:44 PM
Tman6852
10th Gear

Well the steering has been fixed as for now. Originally thought it was the rack, then the ECU but it was on the r passenger front wheel speed sensors and wheel hub that was bad. Mechanic replaced wire and hub and no issues after 200 miles . Now it's time to scrap the air suspension and convert to coil overs.
Old 01-24-18, 11:05 AM
tmcafee
Driver School Candidate

I'm having the same problem. Car started, pulled out of the garage and the steering wheel would not turn. I towed it to the dealer who said they thought it was the computer. Replacing the computer did not work, they said my old computer was good. Then I authorized a $350 diagnosis. Now they say the problem is in the "wiring harness". I learned later that it is the "wiring hub". In any case they want $8,000 to replace it. So, I'm into this for about $9.300.if I authorize the wiring hub fix.I called Lexus-US Service,described the problem and the repair attempts so far. They opened a case and it was assigned to "Nina". Kelly Blue Book says that the trade-in value is $8,619. The private party sales estimated price is $10,205.

Obviously, this is not a problem that I can defer. If I take it someplace else, I have to tow it there. I have to have if fixed to be able to sell it to recover some of my cost.
My questions are; 1) could this be caused by some other problems and, if so, what are they? 2) Is $8,000 a reasonable repair cost? 3) is it reasonable to ask the dealer to put my old computer back into the car? (And, of course, where am I going to find $9,300 to get this fixed?)

Thanks!
Old 01-24-18, 11:07 AM
zicowhite
Driver School Candidate

Have you tried looking up a video on youtube about this ?
Old 01-24-18, 12:16 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by tmcafee
I'm having the same problem. Car started, pulled out of the garage and the steering wheel would not turn. I towed it to the dealer who said they thought it was the computer. Replacing the computer did not work, they said my old computer was good. Then I authorized a $350 diagnosis. Now they say the problem is in the "wiring harness". I learned later that it is the "wiring hub". In any case they want $8,000 to replace it. So, I'm into this for about $9.300.if I authorize the wiring hub fix.I called Lexus-US Service,described the problem and the repair attempts so far. They opened a case and it was assigned to "Nina". Kelly Blue Book says that the trade-in value is $8,619. The private party sales estimated price is $10,205.

Obviously, this is not a problem that I can defer. If I take it someplace else, I have to tow it there. I have to have if fixed to be able to sell it to recover some of my cost.
My questions are; 1) could this be caused by some other problems and, if so, what are they? 2) Is $8,000 a reasonable repair cost? 3) is it reasonable to ask the dealer to put my old computer back into the car? (And, of course, where am I going to find $9,300 to get this fixed?)

Thanks!
Did you try to pull back and forth just as you hit start? I kept doing this for a couple weeks than it went away. So i had bought the EPS and didn't use it. Its been fine ever since. Thinking the high water i hit that night took a while to dry out. Did you have anything like that happen before you had this issue??
The following users liked this post:
moodyblues (06-17-22)
Old 01-24-18, 12:24 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by tmcafee

Thanks!
Really sorry to hear about your troubles, tmcafee. I had purchased an LS 430 previously that needed a whole new wiring harness too (due to the previous owner letting the car sit for long periods and she had rats that gnawed at the wires). Anyways, for an LS 430 it was $7300 and "luckily" my mechanic discounted it down to $6300. Truly fortunate that the seller covered the cost after the sale. The seller had great grace and integrity. Are they sure your wiring harness is all messed up? Maybe try a salvage yard but it would still be a lot of work to remove it from a donor car. The wiring harness snakes through everything and connects everything. Good luck and hope you find a better solution.

Quick Reply: Power Steering locked up HELP!