LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Anyone consider adding an external transmission cooler?

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-17, 04:52 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts
Default Anyone consider adding an external transmission cooler?

I've added these to a couple of vehicles, and my wife and I again have a fleet which I think (and in a couple of cases, know for a fact), could benefit greatly from extra transmission cooling. IMO, the 460 is one which could use extra trans cooling.

Anyone? If not, I may be the first on CL later this Spring. I'd likely remove the one in the radiator from the loop, as it will be unnecessary and adds to engine heat in the summer.
Old 04-30-17, 05:04 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Sub'd
Old 04-30-17, 05:37 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Received 30 Likes on 28 Posts

Probably not worth doing unless you put the transmission under a lot of load or plan on towing. I would invest in Techstream and datalog the transmission temp. If anything, I think regular fluid changes would be your best bet. The Aisin transmission quite a workhorse.
The following 2 users liked this post by Lexuslsguy:
dlbuckls10 (04-30-17), mckellyb (05-01-17)
Old 04-30-17, 07:04 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

A fleet? You mean limo service or something? I suppose if you're planning on using the LS for uber or a transportation to the airport vehicle...I guess there'd be no harm in adding a cooler. However some cars are designed to get their transmissions up to temp quickly to prevent damage and provide proper shifts.

But like lexuslsguy said, the Aisin transmission in this car is quite a work horse. There are very few failures with them and even if it did fail, these transmissions are so cheap used its ridiculous. You can find these things online with reasonably low mileage for $1,200 all day long (of course labor will kill you). They're so cheap because no one needs one.

But yeah, I guess if the car is going to be idling for excessive amounts of time in high temps...and if you're putting 300-400 miles a day on the thing...might not be a bad idea. However if you're just doing a typical 50-100 miles a day, no idling...I wouldn't bother.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (05-01-17)
Old 05-01-17, 02:22 AM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
A fleet? You mean limo service or something? I suppose if you're planning on using the LS for uber or a transportation to the airport vehicle...I guess there'd be no harm in adding a cooler. However some cars are designed to get their transmissions up to temp quickly to prevent damage and provide proper shifts.

But like lexuslsguy said, the Aisin transmission in this car is quite a work horse. There are very few failures with them and even if it did fail, these transmissions are so cheap used its ridiculous. You can find these things online with reasonably low mileage for $1,200 all day long (of course labor will kill you). They're so cheap because no one needs one.

But yeah, I guess if the car is going to be idling for excessive amounts of time in high temps...and if you're putting 300-400 miles a day on the thing...might not be a bad idea. However if you're just doing a typical 50-100 miles a day, no idling...I wouldn't bother.
Oh, no, I mean my wife and I have four vehicles between the two of us.

Well, she has one, I have three. Wouldn't mind a fourth, either, but I lack garage space.

Springtime hail risk makes me nervous as it is...

Lexuslsguy, I have a Fakestream, so I'll have to give that a shot. See what it gets to in traffic when it's toasty outside. With Derale coolers, you can get a thermostat which doesn't turn a fan on (if you have one) until 180F is reached, then it shuts off at 165F.

No towing planned, that's what the old Grand Cherokee and motorcoach are for, just looking for maximum life.
Old 05-01-17, 08:15 AM
greg3852
Lexus Test Driver

Received 29 Likes on 27 Posts

No need to add extra anything to this car. It was designed to do exactly what it does. And it does it well. There have been very few if any full transmission issues. No need to find a solution for a problem that doesn't exist.
Old 05-01-17, 08:35 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by kitabel
How many miles means nothing unless the car is under a heavier load than Lexus recommends: towing or racing..
Originally Posted by greg3852
No need to add extra anything to this car. It was designed to do exactly what it does.
He intends to use the car for purposes other than what it was designed for :P
Old 05-01-17, 01:04 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 354 Likes on 244 Posts

Originally Posted by mckellyb
Oh, no, I mean my wife and I have four vehicles between the two of us.

Well, she has one, I have three. Wouldn't mind a fourth, either, but I lack garage space.

Springtime hail risk makes me nervous as it is...

Lexuslsguy, I have a Fakestream, so I'll have to give that a shot. See what it gets to in traffic when it's toasty outside. With Derale coolers, you can get a thermostat which doesn't turn a fan on (if you have one) until 180F is reached, then it shuts off at 165F.

No towing planned, that's what the old Grand Cherokee and motorcoach are for, just looking for maximum life.
ok so no fleet service or towing...I wouldn't worry about it at all. I'm all for experimenting and modifying, I think it's cool and interesting, but I doubt it's necessary to add a tranny cooler to this car.

I would however have the transmission serviced regularly. I do mine at 75,000, 110,000 and 150,000. The first one I did a pan drop, filter gasket, flush...since then I've only done simple drain and fills. The transmission is the last thing I worry about with this car.
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (05-05-17)
Old 05-01-17, 01:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

I agree with what the others have said, there is no reason to do this. To me it would be a waste of money at best, and at worst something gets screwed up and you have to replace/rebuild the transmission.

If you want "maximum life", don't fool with it!
Old 05-01-17, 09:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Waste of time and money. These transmissions are bullet proof and since you're not towing with it...forget it.