LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Steering wheel leather fix !

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-17, 06:23 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts
Smile Steering wheel leather fix !

First of all, im new to the forum and i want to take this chance to say Hello to everyone in this ClubLexus
Secondly, i would love to get some help or any ideas on how to fix or recondition my steering wheel leather. It fades right at the left corner. Please take a look at the pictures and if you guys don't mind,

help me out with any suggestions on how to fix this.
Thanks you guys !
Old 05-03-17, 11:49 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

Steering wheel leather may be the most difficult interior item to 'fix'.

I've tried, with other vehicles, in the past, and honestly, the best solution is a local upholstery shop specializing in automotive leather...however, remember there are wires under there for the heater.

I'd say you might attempt to re-dye it, but I fear you'd always get it on your hands when driving.

Oh, and welcome to the forum, fellow Texan!
Old 05-04-17, 12:42 AM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 196 Likes on 140 Posts

its not as bad as it looks

Id first start with a high quality leather treatment like leatherique rejuvenating oil , and id bet that alone would bring it back

If not then you would need to have it re-dyed
Old 05-04-17, 05:44 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,750 Likes on 1,967 Posts

It's gotta be re-dyed, I would take it to a leather shop. Won't be expensive and the result will be awesome.
Old 05-04-17, 05:52 AM
sapstar66
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
It's gotta be re-dyed, I would take it to a leather shop. Won't be expensive and the result will be awesome.

^^^^^
yep... this... or if you browse the web, there are some kits you can find to try to do it yourself. I wouldn't, considering it's not an invisible spot !
Old 05-04-17, 05:54 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

And it's a high wear area. I'd take it to a shop.
Old 05-04-17, 06:57 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Are you a leather expert now as well?

Its semi aniline , most of the color is still there its just scuffed a bit

Don't you get tired of playing out this "Mr know it all" fantasy online every day ?
Old 05-04-17, 07:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1WILLY1
Are you a leather expert now as well?

Its semi aniline , most of the color is still there its just scuffed a bit

Don't you get tired of playing out this "Mr know it all" fantasy online every day ?
LOL, not sure where that came from. What did I do to pee in your cornflakes today? If you don't want to read what I post, put me on your ignore list. Sorry for being knowledgeable

Anyways, the leather in the car is coated with a clear urethane coating. Whenever you see exposed hide like that, the coating has failed and the only way to repair it is to redye and recoat the leather. The leather being "semi aniline" doesn't mean anything, all that means is the leather is dyed all the way through, it's still coated and if you see exposed hide it's still a failed coating and it still needs to be redyed.

Trying to clean that type of wear in my experience will make it look worse.

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-04-17 at 07:14 PM.
Old 05-04-17, 07:51 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

LOL, not sure where that came from. What did I do to pee in your cornflakes today? If you don't want to read what I post, put me on your ignore list. Sorry for being knowledgeable

Anyways, the leather in the car is coated with a clear urethane coating. Whenever you see exposed hide like that, the coating has failed and the only way to repair it is to redye and recoat the leather. The leather being "semi aniline" doesn't mean anything, all that means is the leather is dyed all the way through, it's still coated and if you see exposed hide it's still a failed coating and it still needs to be redyed.

Trying to clean that type of wear in my experience will make it look worse.
So then explain why someone would need to re-dye leather that still has all its color? Do you want to retract your previous statement and say perhaps maybe the wheel needs to be only re-cleared ?

Semi aniline has everything to do with it, as the color is in the leather itself, and hasn't been removed. These wheels mark easily but bounce back just as quick.

Make it worse by using a leather treatment? Why don't we put a wager on it..... you have paypal?
Old 05-04-17, 08:09 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

The process of redying leather doesn't work that way. They don't just "reclear" leather. They sand the leather down, redye it and then replace the topcoat. A member just had this done to his seat of his LS460. I have had and seen this exact sort of wear on multiple steering wheels, a redye is the only permanent solution in my experience.

Yes the the color is in the leather itself, but that's not the issue, the issue is the topcoat has failed. You are also assuming that he has semi aniline leather, not all LS460s do. Mine doesn't.

Why would I want to wager with you? Not sure why you feel the need to try and "compete" with me. OP asked for advice, you posted your thoughts and I posted mine. He can decide what course he wants to take.
Old 05-04-17, 08:19 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

This is a good overview of the process they will take to refinish the steering wheel:

https://theinteriorguyllc.com/worn-l...teering-wheel/

Very similar situation, look at the advice:

https://www.reddit.com/r/AutoDetaili...teering_wheel/

Leatherique has a kit just for this, guess what it is? Dye:

http://www.leatherique.com/steering-wheels.html

Last edited by SW17LS; 05-04-17 at 08:27 PM.
Old 05-05-17, 10:10 AM
LS430FL
Instructor

Received 91 Likes on 77 Posts

Just a thought before you spend any money...I don't know what year your car is but maybe have Lexus look at it first at your next service appointment if you use them for service? I have had good results with some goodwill gestures for premature wear. That steering wheel looks like it is a lot more worn than most I have seen...could be manufacturer defect? I know they are having some issues with the non-leather parts but maybe yours does have a coating issue?
Old 05-05-17, 10:11 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

I don't see any reference to the OPs car having semi-aniline leather(?) In any event I don't know if cars with semi-aniline leather seats have semi-aniline steering wheels(?) Quick fixes never worked on the leather cover on my RX300 - In the end, I learned to just live with it.

By all means, try Leatherique and perhaps some black dye - once its dry you shouldn't have any issues with the color coming off on your hands if you use solvent based dye (not water based).
Old 05-05-17, 05:12 PM
Nguyenazn
Pit Crew

Received 47 Likes on 33 Posts

thanks for all the advises and comments guy ! I really appreciated !