LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

2008 LS 460 Engine Knock

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 06:54 PM
SUL4589
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Lucas Pure Synthetic, had my shop take 2 quarters of oil out and added 2 quarts of Lucas. Started this morning and sound is down 90%. The video is what I had but the video is louder but the same
Old 05-13-17, 06:11 AM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by SUL4589
Lucas Pure Synthetic, had my shop take 2 quarters of oil out and added 2 quarts of Lucas. Started this morning and sound is down 90%. The video is what I had but the video is louder but the same
Perfect, thanks man. I just bought the same and will report back to everyone to see if my results match.

I'm curious if you have any hesitation, almost like the car wants to downshift but doesnt, under partial throttle (30-60 MPH)... which after researching what a cam phaser does sounds like it would contribute to the same issues (VVT). I've been slowly replacing parts looking for a cause to this issue that won't require a dealer visit.

I'll also share this video about replacing the VVT sensor on the previous gen cars.. looks like a 10 minute job at a cost of less than $200
Old 05-13-17, 09:05 AM
SUL4589
Driver School Candidate

No hesitation issues. Other than the VVT been fine.
Old 05-14-17, 06:44 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

For those interested in buying the replacement "Oil Control Valve" here are the part numbers and diagrams.
http://www.lexussouthatlantaparts.co...53300S010.html

They have a knock off replacement part for $25 from Amazon.. worth the risk??
Amazon Amazon
Old 05-19-17, 06:01 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

So i purchased the Lucas oil additive and it does make a slight difference, but i'm concerned about the longer term effects of having such a heavy oil in our engines.

I ended up purchasing the Oil Control Valve listed above. I'm going to try and replace one bank at a time to see if i can eliminate the issue.

Does anyone know if our cars suffer from the following:
- Carbon build up on the valves
- Tensioner loosens on the timing chain
- Water pump/Alternator failures
Old 05-20-17, 05:44 PM
wakebord99
Driver School Candidate

So an update for those who are interested...

I have identified that the sound is definitely coming from the driver's side of the engine. I replaced the oil control valve with the $25 unit from Amazon. Made no difference in the sound. I've also replaced all the spark plugs and same.. no difference.

Here is an updated video with the plastic engine cover off
Old 05-21-17, 04:08 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by wakebord99

I have identified that the sound is definitely coming from the driver's side of the engine. I replaced the oil control valve with the $25 unit from Amazon. Made no difference in the sound. I've also replaced all the spark plugs and same.. no difference.

Here is an updated video with the plastic engine cover off https://youtu.be/z1EPnEspedw
That light tick noise sounds like valve train/lifter tick. I forget the exact overhead cam setup, but I think it sounds like a cam follower is not filling up with oil. I'd continue to try the usual additives like Lucas, mystery oil, etc. See if that frees it up. I could be wrong, but man that sound is classic valve train to me.
Old 05-25-18, 11:20 PM
3GSShoe
Intermediate

Received 74 Likes on 69 Posts

Has this been resolved? I would tell your mechanic to remove the VVT solenoid and blast the phaser cam with some compress air. It's an old trick that can help free them up.
The following users liked this post:
BlazeViper (04-14-22)
Old 11-07-21, 10:14 AM
BADGS460
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
Default Has this been resolved?

Originally Posted by wakebord99

Here is an updated video with the plastic engine cover off https://youtu.be/z1EPnEspedw
has this been resolved did the mystery oil work? I have the same problem with my 2008 Lexus GS460 130k
I don’t know what to do.

I replaced oil 5w-30 royal purple, I’m adding mystery oil today. Replaced spark plugs, they look used but not bunt or covered in oil.
I have the same sound, it’s like a rock or metal piece rattling around. Solid 5 mins until engine is warm. The car runs rich but I believe that to be another issue.
I love the car, don’t wanna get rid of it, but I can’t trust it what do I do?
supposed to go to a funeral that’s a 5 hour drive each way, next weekend. I’m hesitant to take the Lexi because of these issues.

Last edited by BADGS460; 11-07-21 at 10:25 AM.
Old 11-07-21, 03:15 PM
Mythicalni
Rookie

Received 17 Likes on 11 Posts

I have this exact issue, took me months to find it. There is a TSB on this issue for Europe but not here in North America for some odd reason. That clacking sound is the Timing chain tensioner. I took my 09 LS460 to multiple Indy Toyota lexus shops none of them were able replicate the sound. I found this TSB on the ISF forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0031l-0516.pdf

Last edited by Mythicalni; 11-07-21 at 03:30 PM. Reason: timing belt - chain
The following 2 users liked this post by Mythicalni:
BlazeViper (04-14-22), diamente (06-17-23)
Old 02-19-22, 11:50 AM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythicalni
I have this exact issue, took me months to find it. There is a TSB on this issue for Europe but not here in North America for some odd reason. That clacking sound is the Timing chain tensioner. I took my 09 LS460 to multiple Indy Toyota lexus shops none of them were able replicate the sound. I found this TSB on the ISF forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/att...0031l-0516.pdf
I’ve seen a few lexus v8s doing this. Did the fix end up being the timing chain tensioner ? Is it oil driven tensioner ? Is the why marvel helps them work better
The following users liked this post:
Mythicalni (05-02-23)
Old 02-19-22, 04:23 PM
Mythicalni
Rookie

Originally Posted by 1supra
I’ve seen a few lexus v8s doing this. Did the fix end up being the timing chain tensioner ? Is it oil driven tensioner ? Is the why marvel helps them work better
Nope, I have not replaced the tensioner yet. I have the part, also have attempted this job. If not for the fan wire without breaking the tab that holds it away from the moving parts.

I have not found a good indy shop here in the Nashville area and have been contemplating taking it to the dealer. Lexuspro here charges $115/hr for labor.
Dealer charges what like $130/hr?

Also, I trust the dealer enough. More than I trust some of these indys I've gone too. Dealer has done all the service on the car, except oil and tires. So far they have done my Valley Plate, Fuel pump gaskets, Front Wheel Bearings, Radiator, and the sticky interior covered by the ZLZ program, If I remember correctly. It's been a few years.

Another reason of finding a good indy is getting THE SUSPENSION DONE RIGHT! THE FIRST TIME! At the current indy rates I rather trust the old heads at the dealer at this point.
Old 02-22-22, 09:53 PM
1supra
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Mythicalni
Nope, I have not replaced the tensioner yet. I have the part, also have attempted this job. If not for the fan wire without breaking the tab that holds it away from the moving parts.

I have not found a good indy shop here in the Nashville area and have been contemplating taking it to the dealer. Lexuspro here charges $115/hr for labor.
Dealer charges what like $130/hr?

Also, I trust the dealer enough. More than I trust some of these indys I've gone too. Dealer has done all the service on the car, except oil and tires. So far they have done my Valley Plate, Fuel pump gaskets, Front Wheel Bearings, Radiator, and the sticky interior covered by the ZLZ program, If I remember correctly. It's been a few years.

Another reason of finding a good indy is getting THE SUSPENSION DONE RIGHT! THE FIRST TIME! At the current indy rates I rather trust the old heads at the dealer at this point.
let me know if that fixes your issue when you get around to it. My dealer here is terrible they mess up everything in va beach. Had them do the valve fix recall and car has had a vac leak since. Runs rich and lights on dash
Old 05-02-23, 01:18 PM
AtlDan
1st Gear

I know this is a necro-bump from hell, but I know someone with this exact problem and we can't figure it out. Wondering if anyone has solved this?
Old 05-02-23, 03:33 PM
Mythicalni
Rookie

Originally Posted by AtlDan
I know this is a necro-bump from hell, but I know someone with this exact problem and we can't figure it out. Wondering if anyone has solved this?
I believe it to be the timing chain tensioner. The indy shop i use to take my 09 LS disagreed with me and wanted to put another motor in it. Never got around to replacing it, I just bought another car, because I got tired of f***In with the dealer and indy shops

Quick Reply: 2008 LS 460 Engine Knock