LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake dust power stops/brembo's

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-17, 10:58 AM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts
Default Brake dust power stops/brembo's

Was wondering how brake dust relates to stopping power. 2011 LS sport came with the brembo's on front. Hated the squeal an brake dust. The brembo's would get about 10 times more dust as the rear wheels.
So tried the power stops recommend on this forum. Not the rear wheels have 10 times more brake dust as the front. Which is great for cleaning. But had me wondering if such a drastic change is good.
Based on the brembo's, is stopping power based on how soft the brake pads are and designed to wear? With little or no brake dust are the rotors wearing more?
When comes time for rear brakes do I stick with the oem rears or match with the front power stops?
I do usually like to keep things oem because I feel lexus can engineer better than these other smaller companies.

The power stops work good and stop like you would expect for a normal car. The brembo's were in a different league. Most would not notice unless you had to make an emergency stop. Such a smooth quick stop. Just guessing from my limited use, but may have even stopped in half the distance in an emergency. Which is why I guess they are so highly rated. Only had to make a quick stop a couple of times. But I was amazed by the stopping power. And have driven all kinds of cars over the years.
But in my opinion, it still was worth the trade off for the squeal and dust unless you are driving a race car.
Is it the way you make a brake pad? Softer more stopping power but more brake dust. So you try for a good balance?

So any opinions?
In a perfect world, I guess I would have felt better if the power stops had close to the same dust as the rear oem. If it means my rotors are wearing more instead of the pads. Or they would stop a little better with a softer pad. Again car still seems to stop as good as what I would expect a non sport model would.
Old 05-13-17, 01:48 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I think most any pad you buy is required to meet a certain standard in terms of performance, so I wouldn't be too concerned with that aspect of it. Of course the rotors have to be within thickness specs, the brakes have to be working properly and the pads have to have adequate thickness themselves, but they all should perform similarly. The differences you might experience is noise and dust, so I'd make my decision based on that. You can also throw in price and maybe a grabbiness.

Stock pads ads I don't believe are actually made by Toyota...could be wrong there, but I imagine they're outsourced.

And based off past experience brands can be touch and go, sometimes their formula magically changes and they go through six months of bad batches (pads that are loud when they shouldn't be). Had that happen with AC Delco pads - ran a facility where we used their pads for years - all of the sudden we couldn't find one pair that was quiet....called around to other garages and they were experiencing the same thing. Called a factory rep and he basically said, yeah we ran into some issues. I've experienced that with virtually every brand we've ever used throughout the years...company will be great for years, then their product turns into junk. Don't know why, no real explaination. So you go to something else.
Old 05-13-17, 04:05 PM
VanCityLS4
Lead Lap

Received 75 Likes on 55 Posts

It's a big trade off in emergency stopping power with a 4500lb sedan. The six piston Brembos the Sport model runs has a high friction compound that makes a mess after a couple days. Something seen on AMGs years back with their Brembos. Lots of good info on the ISF/GSF forums as it's discussed there more often. Sport models share the same pads as the GSF which is slightly larger than the ISF. I'm in the process of getting Project Mu pads all around as I don't want to mess with the brake bias using different brand pads.
Old 05-13-17, 05:49 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by VanCityLS4
It's a big trade off in emergency stopping power with a 4500lb sedan. The six piston Brembos the Sport model runs has a high friction compound that makes a mess after a couple days. Something seen on AMGs years back with their Brembos. Lots of good info on the ISF/GSF forums as it's discussed there more often. Sport models share the same pads as the GSF which is slightly larger than the ISF. I'm in the process of getting Project Mu pads all around as I don't want to mess with the brake bias using different brand pads.
If you would, please post back once you try them out. I may do the same when I need rear brakes. Just replace all 4 wheels and would at least have the same brand all around.
Old 05-13-17, 09:20 PM
mckellyb
Lexus Test Driver

Received 147 Likes on 109 Posts

The amount of dust and stopping power are unrelated. It's different compounds, but I've found EBC makes very low dust pads which will haul down land yachts without issue. Redstuff is what I had on my last car, and they were great.

This said, you may find a high dust pad feels/performs great while one which creates almost no dust is horrible.

That's just coincidence.
Old 05-14-17, 01:55 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

While I haven't verified that my 2013 F-sport has the factory pads or not, I don't notice the dust issue as much as others here. Maybe the chrome wheels (which I hated at first, now I love them) don't show it as much.
Braking power is awesome. I had to emergency stop the other day on the highway and it was incredible. Just like everything else about this car.

For some reason my wife doesn't like the size (she drives an IS250) so I can't pawn it off on her and get a new one. Damn.