LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Wife is a ****ty driver - just me or ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-17, 11:43 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Wife is a ****ty driver - just me or ?

I love my wife, she is an awesome person with talents I do not have. She puts up with me and is the mother of our beautiful children.

Taking good care of a car is not one of them, however. Her Lexus has curb rash on all the wheels, the front spoiler gets scraped across parking lot obstructions all the time. Never bothers to get it washed or cleaned out, it's a ****-show.

So of course I do everything I can to keep her away from my car. Today she asked to take my car for some reason and I said "No".

Anyone else have this problem?
Old 05-14-17, 12:14 PM
teedub21
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 19 Posts

Yeah, wife doesn't drive my car. Same thing, hits curbs, actually seems like she aims for pot holes, spills coffee inside the car. She gets pissed I won't let her drive my car. Just not careful.
Old 05-14-17, 12:58 PM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Same here. Her car is absolutely destroyed cosmetically. I can't keep up with the repairs, so I have given up. Scratches everywhere. She actually got a new scratch this past week brushing up her rear quarter panel on a large bush. I told her "this is why you will never borrow my car!"

Love her though. Happy Mother's Day!!!
Old 05-14-17, 02:12 PM
Nospinzone

Received 418 Likes on 322 Posts

Well my wife is a decent driver, but not the best. She does take my LS on occasions when her car is in the shop. So far every time she brings it back in the same condition.

Now she does very little to take care of her car, that job resides with me. I remember once many years ago when she used to drive a lot for her work, I cleaned her interior and there was a ton of various food remnants in, around, under, and between the seats. I put a sticky on her steering wheel that read, "Want to lose 20 lbs? STOP eating in the damn car!"

Before we were married I tried to teach her to drive a manual transmission car. She just could not grasp the whole clutch/gas pedal thing. She said to me "once automatic transmissions were invented, why would anyone want a manual transmission?"

Now my Ferrari is a different story. She can only drive that while I'm in the car. However, I make her so nervous she hardly ever asks to drive it.
Old 05-14-17, 03:36 PM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 342 Likes on 261 Posts

My wife won't drive my car. When I had the 430, she needed to take it one evening to see a friend in the hospital. It was raining really bad and real windy. When she back up, the garage closet door flew open from the wind and caught the side view mirror. Ripped it right off. Needless to say, she doesn't want to drive my car anymore.
Old 05-14-17, 05:09 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 310 Likes on 269 Posts

The last time my wife washed her car was August 1977 (her first new car). Nowadays car detailing, maintenance, and repairs are dad's job.

Old 05-14-17, 05:44 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

My wife drives the LS460 and she takes care of it...... She does not drive my Dodge Charger SRT because it is too fast and she feels every bump.
Old 05-15-17, 10:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

This thread is hilarious and comforting to know others can relate. Great thread, OP.

It amazes me how much clutter my wife collects in her car. We just detailed it last year and it's time to do so again due to some new stains. I've found unopened granola bars, a box of unopened cake mix, dried up coffee cups, and a bowl of dried up milk and cereal beneath the seats. I wonder what else might be growing inside her car but surprisingly it doesn't smell or emit any odors. Even just a day of driving in my car I am shocked at how much trash my wife and daughter produce in the back. I half-joked that if they spill anything then the two of them will have to ride in a separate car from now on. Fortunately, we don't drink soda so most spills are just water...but still. Once in a while my wife will bring coffee along for the ride, but it isn't just any coffee cup and ends up being a glass, curved holiday cup with no lid and too large to fit in the cup holder. Makes me so nervous with her holding that darn coffee cup the entire trip, just waiting for an accident to occur so her coffee can soak nicely into the perforated seats.

Scratches and bumps on her car are another matter. One time, my wife and another woman accidentally backed into each other in a Trader Joe's parking lot. Both women got out, asked if each other was alright, and then proceeded to laugh together about it. I'm glad they both thought it was amusing but what the heck?!? Take driving more seriously, please! I really wish my wife's car had backup sensors and a backup camera. She bought her 2006 ES 330 over 11 years ago, before we met, but I wonder why she even bothered getting a Lexus because she can't tell her car apart from the next white car in the parking lot. She could've did fine with a Camry considering that she routinely tries to open the door to a white Subaru/Honda/Toyota/You-name-it, thinking it's her car. What really gets me worked up is when she says the LS 430 or LS 460 doesn't ride any nicer or doesn't seem any nicer than her ES! I pray she's just playing mind-games with me with those comments. Wives, gotta love 'em though and especially gotta appreciate the ones that sacrifice themselves to bring life into this world.
Old 05-15-17, 11:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

My wife doesn't care about cars, it would never occur to her to get one washed, she does like it cleaned out inside from time to time. BUT, she is a very good driver, she's never damaged a vehicle as far as I can remember, She also respects that while she doesn't care, I care and she's careful where she parks, doesn't tailgate trucks, etc. I have no worries about her driving the LS.
The following users liked this post:
jimrd (05-16-17)
Old 05-16-17, 01:20 AM
salesguy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm dying reading these posts. Glad I'm not the only one out there.

"she routinely tries to open the door to a white Subaru/Honda/Toyota/You-name-it, thinking it's her car."

Bwaahahahah

I should also mention my wife ripped the side mirror off my poor ES350 a few years back, hitting a mailbox. We were driving on a narrow road, and an oncoming car was taking up a good bit of the road. Instead of stopping, she swerved and nails a mailbox. I'm sitting in the passenger seat thinking, wtf. That was when I stopped letting her drive my cars unless I have no choice.
Old 05-16-17, 08:58 AM
aw001
Driver

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

How about my wife backing her van trying to get out of our garage... the only issue is that she did not open the garage door first...

By the way, she got back up camera AND park assist/ radar warning/ whachamacallit thing!

My 3 year old twin boys at the back said "oh oh, car broken" when that happened..

My reflux is acting up again!
Old 05-16-17, 11:57 AM
ragingf80
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by aw001
How about my wife backing her van trying to get out of our garage... the only issue is that she did not open the garage door first...

By the way, she got back up camera AND park assist/ radar warning/ whachamacallit thing!

My 3 year old twin boys at the back said "oh oh, car broken" when that happened..

My reflux is acting up again!
BEEN THERE! Her SUV has a backup camera, yet she didn't see that the garage was only halfway open and backed into it. A nice big scratch on her rear gate and a $900 garage repair bill was the reward!
Old 05-16-17, 12:09 PM
leahb16GSF
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Being a woman....and a better driver than most...and yes any man who knows me will attest that I drive better in reverse than most can in drive. This thread is absolutely freakin hysterical!!!! I hate having to admit, being a woman, that I also, slam women for how absolutely awful they drive.Just do not understand it and its a pretty sad occasion when I swear that a blind person would drive better than the majority of women drivers out there. Having a 17 year old daughter, who has yet to get her license, you better believe when it comes to driving...she either drive the right way or not at all.
Old 05-16-17, 04:37 PM
jimrd
Pit Crew

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
My wife doesn't care about cars, it would never occur to her to get one washed, she does like it cleaned out inside from time to time. BUT, she is a very good driver, she's never damaged a vehicle as far as I can remember, She also respects that while she doesn't care, I care and she's careful where she parks, doesn't tailgate trucks, etc. I have no worries about her driving the LS.
You've got it good! My wife could care less about a car, interior or exterior, hers or mine. My '03 Sequoia is in better wear/tear condition then her '09 RX. She's athletic, a marathon runner in fact, but will park in the closest space, regardless of hazards, to save a few steps. She's ripped off her driver's side mirror, backed into a car in our driveway, scraped the whole driver side on a mailbox backing out of a neighbor's driveway, and I can't count the times she has remotely opened the tailgate while the garage door is closed. Her car is a travelling dumpster, not so much dirty but cluttered and nothing is stored properly. I tell her that her next car will be an old 2-dr pickup with a covered bed so she can just throw her stuff in the back through the little sliding back window. I won't let her eat or drink in my LS (except water) so most times we end up taking my SUV on trips. She doesn't like new car smell, so she hasn't even asked to drive it.

Speaking of which about time to respray some of that new car scent air freshener...
Old 05-16-17, 04:48 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Now that we have the kids though, and they eat snacks in the van, it gets bad lol. I wash it about once a month and I always vacuum a LOT of **** out of the seats, floor, car seats. Etc.

Quick Reply: Wife is a ****ty driver - just me or ?