LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Still considering a 2014 LS460L

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-17, 07:00 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts
Default Still considering a 2014 LS460L

I am seeing lots of decent deals popping up on the 2014 LS460s these days and more and more of them come back off their 3-year lease. I nearly pulled the trigger on an extremely low mileage (6k) LS460L with every Lexus option being sold by McGrath Lexus in Chicago. Price was $62,500, which seemed a bit high, but the car was pretty unique. It wasn't my preferred color combo (it was white with tan interior), but it wasn't bad.

I'm really liking the Nebula Gray color with the Flaxen interior color scheme. And I'm starting to lean more towards a slightly less optioned LS460L, avoiding things like the air ride suspension (that will always require expensive replacement due to wear and tear). I really think a 2014 LS460L without air suspension should be amazingly reliable for a long time, since the earlier LS issues have all been worked out (wind noise, brake actuator, control arms, etc.).

I'm currently eyeing two decent candidates. One is at Highland Park Lexus in Chicago: http://www.lexusofhighlandpark.com/V...-IL/2985499163 This one is a Matador Red Mica (a decent color, but not my first choice). It's a 1-owner CPO with 28K miles. It seems to be pretty nicely equipped, with the Pre-Collision and Radar Cruise systems, but it appears to not have the ML stereo (which is weird). The asking price is $47,999, which seems pretty good. It looks like this one has been for sale for 22 days.

The second one that I'm seriously considering is at a Toyota dealer in MD. Here's the link: http://www.toyotaofbowie.com/used-20...owie-MD/v/8530 It's my favorite color scheme (Nebula Gray with Flaxen interior), and is almost identically optioned to the other Highland Park car. It lacks the Pre-Collision/DRCC, but has the ML stereo. Asking price on CarGurus is $46,985. It's not certified, but has factory warranty left, so I could probably get a Platinum warranty on it if I wanted. It's been for sale for 69 days, and the dealer may be pretty motivated to get it sold.

I'm leaning towards the Nebula gray model in MD, and will probably try to negotiate hard to get the price down closer to $42K or so. I can use the Matador Red car as a negotiating tool, since it is Certified (which adds $2500 or so to the price). I would think the Toyota dealer would be getting close to sending the LS back to auction since it's been on their lot for 69 days, so hopefully they would be willing to give me a scorching great price.

Any thoughts from the forum on either of these cars? Will I regret not having the Pre-Collision/DRCC? I have it in my LS600 now, and it is kind of nice, but I don't really think it's a must-have. Other thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-25-17, 11:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

I will actually be in Bowie on business on Tuesday if you want me to go look at and drive that one for you, let me know I would be happy to do that...

I personally don't like the DRCC...
Old 05-25-17, 12:29 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I will actually be in Bowie on business on Tuesday if you want me to go look at and drive that one for you, let me know I would be happy to do that...

I personally don't like the DRCC...
That's a kind offer, Steve! I wouldn't want to get in the way of your business, but it would be great to have another Lexus fan give the car a close look before I make a final decision. My negotiations with the sales manager aren't going as well as I had hoped, though. I offered $40K, and he countered at $46,300. We still have a ways to go to find a point where it would be worth it to me, but I think it could be worked. If it's not too far out of your way on Tuesday, I'd love it if you could take a look and let me know what you think. Thanks!
Old 05-25-17, 12:33 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Would be no trouble at all. I have a property out there going to settlement at the end of the day Tuesday, and I always get out there early and beat the traffic and just work out of one of our satellite offices, I would have plenty of time to go check it out and give you the full scoop

Let's touch base on Monday and see where you're at in your negotiations
Old 05-25-17, 12:43 PM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Would be no trouble at all. I have a property out there going to settlement at the end of the day Tuesday, and I always get out there early and beat the traffic and just work out of one of our satellite offices, I would have plenty of time to go check it out and give you the full scoop

Let's touch base on Monday and see where you're at in your negotiations
Will do...

From checking with the "big 3" car sites, I am getting the following retail price for the 2014 LS460L AWD in MD:

KBB: $50,509
NADA: $50,075
Edmunds: $56,742

Edmunds seems to be consistently high. Based on these prices $46,400 is not unreasonable. I just know I will end up paying $1200 or so to have it shipped to Nebraska, and I'll need to sell my LS600hL at some point (or sell it to the Lexus dealer for their offer of $21,300). I'm still hopeful there's more wiggle room on the price...
Old 05-25-17, 02:53 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

i'd rather get a great car at a good price than a good car at a great price....especially with the LS, I LOOOOOOOVE the color combo for the MD LS460. Just FYI auction prices for a 14 460L AWD is in the low $40k now...I assume the dealer is maybe $42-$43k into it so you should still have wiggle room, I'd say $45k would be a fair price.

Yes DRCC/Precoll would be great but I've asked myself how often I would actually use it and it isn't often enough to "need" it...obviously I say that now and probably will want it later...

My unicorn is a white/black/gray with Flaxen LS460L with LKA/DRCC but they are extremely rare...

You could risk waiting, the prices will only drop and new inventory will pop up...
Old 05-25-17, 03:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Yeah I much prefer the nebula to the red. The red doesn't suit the LS IMHO, an F Sport maybe.
Old 05-25-17, 03:52 PM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
I'm leaning towards the Nebula gray model in MD, and will probably try to negotiate hard to get the price down closer to $42K or so. I can use the Matador Red car as a negotiating tool, since it is Certified (which adds $2500 or so to the price). I would think the Toyota dealer would be getting close to sending the LS back to auction since it's been on their lot for 69 days, so hopefully they would be willing to give me a scorching great price.

Any thoughts from the forum on either of these cars? Will I regret not having the Pre-Collision/DRCC? I have it in my LS600 now, and it is kind of nice, but I don't really think it's a must-have. Other thoughts? Thanks!
Check the history on the Lexus Driver site. I remember looking at this one when it first popped up, and (I'm pretty sure) it had been in at least one, if not two accidents. I don't remember the details, but worth checking.
Old 05-26-17, 05:55 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by Dave144239
Check the history on the Lexus Driver site. I remember looking at this one when it first popped up, and (I'm pretty sure) it had been in at least one, if not two accidents. I don't remember the details, but worth checking.
Dave, I did check the Lexus Driver's site, and discovered the following notes:

description: CUSTOMER STATES ~ ~CUSTOMER STATES. HIT POTHOLE RIGHT SIDE RIGHT REAR FLAT AND FLAT IN TRUNK, SPARE IS ON RIGHT FRONT..CHECK RIMS AND SUSPENSION..HIT HARD ~ ~ ~ ~9930 RECOMMEND REPLACED BOTH RIGHT SIDE WHEEL AND TIRES. RECOMMEND FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BEARING. RECOMMEND ALIGNMENT.

Service: REPLACE RIGHT FRONT HUB AND BEARING ASEBLY
description: REPLACE RIGHT FRONT HUB AND BEARING ASEBLY ~ ~RECOMMEND REPLACE RIGHT FRONT WHEEL BEARING DUE TOO INTERNAL DAMAGE OF WHEEL BEARING FROM ACCIDENT. ~ ~ ~ ~9940 GROWLING NOISE WHEN DRIVING REPLACED R/F WHEEL BEARING
RECOMMENDED REPLACE FRONT RIGHT WHEEL BEARING DUE TOO POSSIBLE INTERNAL DAMAGE TO THE WHEEL BEARING. INSURANCE ADJUSTER ONLY APPROVED CHANGING BOTH RIGHT WHEELS AND TIRES ALSO ALIGNMENT. BALANCED AND MOUNTED NEW WHEELS AND TIRES. PLACED NE

So it looks like the driver did some damage to the right side suspension by hitting a pothole (their claim). Doesn't look like any paint work was done. A year later, I see the following entry:

description: NOTED TO FILE ~ ~CUTS STATES THAT THERE IS A RATTLE NOISE FROM FRONT RIGHT WHEN DRIVING 30 MPH OR MORE ~ ~ ~ ~18539 ROAD TEST WITH CUSTOMER NO NOISE AT THIS TIME

And then, another year or so later, the following entry:

Service: POP BACK IN PLACE AS BEST AS POSSIBLE
description: POP BACK IN PLACE AS BEST AS POSSIBLE ~ ~CS THE RIGHT FRONT FENDER LINER AT THE BOTTOM MATH BE MISSING A CLIP BECAUSE IS POP OUT F PLACE ~ ~

The AutoCheck comes back clean, for what that's worth. So yeah, there could be a concern that the suspension is somehow compromised due to the damage sustained early in the car's life. How worried should I be about this sort of thing? Thoughts? Thanks!
Old 05-26-17, 06:20 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

A good test drive will be important. I would also have the car looked at by an independent mechanic if things really get serious.

If I wind up driving it I will pay extra attention to that area.
Old 05-26-17, 10:52 AM
Dave144239
Instructor

Received 214 Likes on 162 Posts

Originally Posted by riknchar
The AutoCheck comes back clean, for what that's worth. So yeah, there could be a concern that the suspension is somehow compromised due to the damage sustained early in the car's life. How worried should I be about this sort of thing? Thoughts? Thanks!
Ok, I couldn't remember exactly what I'd seen on the report. I guess as long as it was fixed properly it should be fine. You could check that front tire for uneven wear, and maybe have a Lexus dealership do a PPI for you, but apart from that, the car looks great. I really like the Flaxen interior.
Old 05-30-17, 01:14 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Hey Rick, just got done driving that car in Bowie.

Long and the short of it, it's not a bad car but knowing you're as picky as me, I would pass.

Inside it's in very good shape, and outside its pretty good. Rock chips and sandblasting in the front but that's to be expected. Very glad I have the clear bra. Hard to make that come out but here's an attempt:

Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo878.jpgStill considering a 2014 LS460L-photo494.jpg

I would say that's normal for that age car. If you get lucky and find one as meticulous as mine that's a once in a lifetime thing lol.

It needs tires, they're a little above the wear bars. More troubling is the wheels all need to be refinished. The front two are okay (which makes sense since we know they're new), but the back two have clearcoat acid etching that will need to be completely refinished, and one of the fronts is curbed. I would have the refinish all 4 wheels if it were me. Pics, these wheels are clean to the touch, that will not wipe or clean off.

Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo715.jpgStill considering a 2014 LS460L-photo436.jpgStill considering a 2014 LS460L-photo236.jpg

Small touched up scratch on the fender:

Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo648.jpg

There was also one small door ding on the drivers side rear door. Wouldn't come out in a picture.

Inside like I said the car is very nice. Leather is perfect, wear on the inside b pillar which is common, mine is the same way:

Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo350.jpg

Small scratch on the trim around the RTC controller:

Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo336.jpg

Car drives real nice, but there is a persistent rattle coming from the rear parcel shelf. Wouldn't concern me except for the fact that it's definitely been hit in the rear. The decklid and rear bumper have been painted for sure. You can tell by feel and look, the rear decklid has some orange peel and is not as finished in the jamb area as it should be, and the peel on the bumper and around the sonar sensors isn't quite right.

This is a pic of the decklid with the peel, and compare that to the roof which is factory. Not sure how it comes out in pics but it has definitely been painted:

Decklid: Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo0.jpg

Roof: Still considering a 2014 LS460L-photo301.jpg

Because of that I would be worried that rattle was something more.

All in all, not a terrible car but not exceptional at all. I would move on.
Old 05-30-17, 04:28 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Well done Steve! That was an awesome gesture to do that for him.
Old 05-30-17, 05:37 PM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

I'm going to start finding cars for Steve to check out for me on the East Coast thanks a lot Steve, great write-up and good attention to detail. I would have been "it started, drove good, I blasted the radio the whole time and you should offer them $60k"...
Old 05-30-17, 05:44 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Haha, happy to do it!

Quick Reply: Still considering a 2014 LS460L