LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Suspension Bushings!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-01-17, 12:12 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 775 Likes on 668 Posts
Default Suspension Bushings!!!!

Hey guys, ive been having a hard time finding a good aftermarket replacement solution for these worn out bushings. Ive searched almost all the threads but nobody has a proven setup, or a setup that has lasted.

How are the PSB poly bushings?

What about the 1a auto bushings? I doubt for 80 bucks there any good!
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Control-Arm-...5ZGw4p&vxp=mtr

What about replacing the whole arms with say a moog, dorman, mas, mevotech, and beck arnely??
Old 06-01-17, 12:31 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Ive searched almost all the threads but nobody has a proven setup, or a setup that has lasted.
?????!!! Really? Lol. There are a few of us who've posted in the last few months about our success with aftermarket control arms. I replaced my entire front end with new arms from Rock Auto...a mix of MAS and Mevotech. Total cost for eight arms (and end links with installation was about 1200 dollars. It's been about 8 weeks and so far so good.
Old 06-01-17, 06:49 AM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
?????!!! Really? Lol. There are a few of us who've posted in the last few months about our success with aftermarket control arms. I replaced my entire front end with new arms from Rock Auto...a mix of MAS and Mevotech. Total cost for eight arms (and end links with installation was about 1200 dollars. It's been about 8 weeks and so far so good.
I read that thread and still havent seen anyone post a solid setup that has proven to last. didnt you also post that you had a new ball joint fail on you after less then a month?
Old 06-01-17, 08:15 AM
zracer31
Driver School Candidate

Received 10 Likes on 6 Posts

I replaced all my front end bushings with eBay ones for a whopping $151 about 18 months ago. Yes, I have my own press and tools to do the job, but after 11K miles they look just like the day I put them in. As stated by MANY long time members, this is one of the BIGGEST overblown maintenance issues for our cars. If they fail 20-30K miles from now, not a big deal as I'll just replace them with same items but honestly see no reason why these would fail any time soon. If you are paying a shop to do the job, probably come out cheaper to just replace the entire control arm than to remove the part, press out old one, press in new one and reinstall the arm. My ball joints on the uppers/lower link were still nice and tight, so replacing just the bushing was smartest thing for me to do. Good Luck!
Old 06-01-17, 12:51 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 315 Likes on 274 Posts

No, not a big deal for avid DIY-ers with presses and tools but a much bigger deal for those without. An independent will charge about half what a Lexus dealership would but that's still a chunk of change.
Old 06-01-17, 02:06 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by zracer31
I replaced all my front end bushings with eBay ones for a whopping $151 about 18 months ago. Yes, I have my own press and tools to do the job, but after 11K miles they look just like the day I put them in. As stated by MANY long time members, this is one of the BIGGEST overblown maintenance issues for our cars. If they fail 20-30K miles from now, not a big deal as I'll just replace them with same items but honestly see no reason why these would fail any time soon. If you are paying a shop to do the job, probably come out cheaper to just replace the entire control arm than to remove the part, press out old one, press in new one and reinstall the arm. My ball joints on the uppers/lower link were still nice and tight, so replacing just the bushing was smartest thing for me to do. Good Luck!
What brand did you end up running with? The link I posted are for 80 bucks, are those the same ones you ran?

The roads in the city I live in have pretty bad potholes, Im not expecting oem quality from aftermarket, but something that can hold up
Old 06-01-17, 07:36 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by ibidu1
I read that thread and still havent seen anyone post a solid setup that has proven to last. didnt you also post that you had a new ball joint fail on you after less then a month?
I thought you were asking about control arms, not ball joints. But on that note, the ball joint was fine, turned out to be a little loose and it's all good now. But your right, it's only been a few months for me, so longevity will have to be seen. However, there are others who are over a year on them and have had no issues, if that helps.
Old 06-02-17, 12:37 PM
ibidu1
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by roadfrog
I thought you were asking about control arms, not ball joints. But on that note, the ball joint was fine, turned out to be a little loose and it's all good now. But your right, it's only been a few months for me, so longevity will have to be seen. However, there are others who are over a year on them and have had no issues, if that helps.
Yup basically repairing the front end and removing the slop out of the worn front end. I'm glad you got your front end sorted out.
Old 06-02-17, 03:37 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I have a thread somewhere on here about my replacement of the control arms with aftermarket parts (Beck Arnley and Mevotech). No issues whatsoever after 40,000 miles. I took some pictures of updates in the thread, but I have since driven a lot more miles...all is good.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...tures-etc.html

​​​​​​​Honestly they were some of the easiest control arms I've ever replaced.
Old 06-02-17, 07:25 PM
1WILLY1
Lexus Test Driver

Received 195 Likes on 139 Posts

my upper control arms are shot as well

Ive had nothing but great things to say about rock auto, if they are selling something its usually decent quality, even the discounted/budget items

I'm still in the early stages of research so I'm not sure if I will do the bushings or the entire arms