LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Is the 460L to big in the rear passenger area?

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-17, 05:25 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Yeah the L has a better look I agree.
Old 06-09-17, 05:29 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
That color isnt maroon, FYI, it's quite red, candy apple red really.

That interior is parchmemt. There isn't a tanner color those years, there is a lighter color, alabaster.

Also that's an L without the semi aniline leather option we had discussed being standard on the L, look at the door armrests.
Guess I need to look at one in person but in general I like that color. I would go with the red, silver, white, or charcoal gray with red and silver being almost equal in my book, at least without seeing the red in person. I'm guessing the red might be a less desirable color since it might stand out more?

The interior looks lighter than others I've seen but that could just be from lighting of the camera. I guess I don't know about the semi aniline leather option and what it is but that's why I'm researching now so I'll know what to look for.
Old 06-09-17, 06:08 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS

Perhaps ever so slightly, but remember the LWB cars almost always have 19" wheels and the SWB cars almost always have 18" wheels, which likely makes up for any benefit the 4.8" longer wheelbase gives you. Like I said, I drove one last week back to back with mine on the same test loop, it had 19s I have 18s and really they were almost identical in terms of ride and feel. If it were an L with 18s, would it be the same? Don't know.
Good point. The '12 in my family that I've been putting some miles on is equipped exactly the same as my '10L (19" 5 stars and neither car has air suspension). So it's a direct comparison and I feel like the L rides better (and the L has about 25k more miles and is 2 years older). But who knows, it very well could be "owners bias" where I convince myself I like something more just because it's mine and/or because I feel like it's the "premium" option. I have gone through enough blind wine and bourbon tastings over the years to understand my mind plays tricks on me - premium and rare wines & bourbons that I have loved when I knew what they were (could see the label) have ended up dead last when I blind taste them against other "regular" wines and spirits. For bourbon lovers here, this recently happened on two separate occasions for me and a close friend when we blinded Pappy Van Winkle 20 year (one of the most coveted bottles of bourbon) against other wheat based bourbons that are way cheaper and easier to find. We both loved Pappy when we could see the label, but picked it dead last when emotion was taken out and we didn't know what we were drinking.

It does conceptually make sense to me that a car with a longer wheel base would ride better though.
Old 06-09-17, 06:19 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 375 Likes on 258 Posts

Originally Posted by caverman
I'm not quite ready to buy yet but this is almost exactly what I would look for. I like the maroon, 5-spoke chrome, and rear spoiler. This one is priced a bit high IMO even though it has low miles..
http://www.autotrader.com/cars-for-s...delCode1=LS460

What is the color of this interior? I would take it with that color but I like the little more tan I've seen.
Holy cow, they are really proud of that car. I know each market is different, but TX and FL are pretty similar and that's a very high price - and I know that seller well as I have watched a lot of cars they sell on eBay over the years. They typically have pretty fair prices and seem to always have cars in very good condition.

I can't tell if it has air ride and/or the rear seating package, but for reference I bought the same year, with 65k miles for just under $23k (initially asking $28,500). My car does NOT have air suspension or the rear exec package. I think those 2 options are worth about a $1k premium in the used market at this age of the car. So even if it has them, I'd be looking to get that car for no more than $25k.

My car was traded in to an Audi dealership for someone who bought an A8L. It sat on the Audi lot exactly 5 months and 22 days before I snagged it (I actually had seen the car online for a while but always passed it up because of the price and I thought it was dark blue based on the pics - it actually is smokey granite mica which is a color I hadn't seen before but really like). Clean Carfax and impeccable service history at Lexus. Based on how long it had been on their lot they were pretty close to dumping it to a wholesaler so I threw in a low ball offer of $22k that I felt would be above what they'd get "auctioning it off" and we haggled a bit but I still feel like I stole it.

Just my $.02.
Old 06-09-17, 06:22 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Owners bias is very real, but your experience mirrors mine. When I was test driving new before I bought mine I zeroed in on the SWB, and drove them with and without the 19" wheels, because I like them better. I felt that there was definitely a difference between the 18s and 19s both on the SWB. When I drove that L last week for Rick I expected to feel that difference again and didn't which surprised me. It makes sense that the LWB would compensate for any ride changes from the 19s.

I'd be curious to drive a LWB on 18s to compare it to mine. Really hard to find, impossible new.
Old 06-09-17, 06:31 AM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 201 Likes on 149 Posts

Originally Posted by waterdude
No problem! Hopefully, someone can confirm the power door closing were standard on 2007 L before you go hunting for the fuse.
I guess it was me, Maybe I didn't understand the way it worked. I left the door open just a hair and it closed it, so I guess I do have it after all on my 2007, sorry about the confusion.

How do the headlamp washers work ? (didn't even know I had this feature !)

Last edited by DavidinCT; 06-09-17 at 06:37 AM.
Old 06-09-17, 06:40 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

You push the headlamp washer button and it washes the headlamps

They also spray once every third time you use the windshield washers when the headlights are on. They only work in general when the headlights are on.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (06-09-17)
Old 06-09-17, 06:43 AM
caverman
Instructor

Received 192 Likes on 118 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Holy cow, they are really proud of that car. I know each market is different, but TX and FL are pretty similar and that's a very high price - and I know that seller well as I have watched a lot of cars they sell on eBay over the years. They typically have pretty fair prices and seem to always have cars in very good condition.

I can't tell if it has air ride and/or the rear seating package, but for reference I bought the same year, with 65k miles for just under $23k (initially asking $28,500). My car does NOT have air suspension or the rear exec package. I think those 2 options are worth about a $1k premium in the used market at this age of the car. So even if it has them, I'd be looking to get that car for no more than $25k.

My car was traded in to an Audi dealership for someone who bought an A8L. It sat on the Audi lot exactly 5 months and 22 days before I snagged it (I actually had seen the car online for a while but always passed it up because of the price and I thought it was dark blue based on the pics - it actually is smokey granite mica which is a color I hadn't seen before but really like). Clean Carfax and impeccable service history at Lexus. Based on how long it had been on their lot they were pretty close to dumping it to a wholesaler so I threw in a low ball offer of $22k that I felt would be above what they'd get "auctioning it off" and we haggled a bit but I still feel like I stole it.

Just my $.02.
Yes, I think the price they are asking is pretty high even though it does have low miles for a 2010. I'm targeting the $22k - $25k like you did and if I could get a car similar to that with 65k miles I would jump all over it as well. Sounds like you did really well and I hope to do the same within the next year or so. It's good to know that even though someone is asking a high price like that they might be willing to come down that low just to move the car off the lot. I'm assuming you probably were out the door with TTL for around $24k?
Old 06-09-17, 06:52 AM
waterdude
Rookie

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
I guess it was me, Maybe I didn't understand the way it worked. I left the door open just a hair and it closed it, so I guess I do have it after all on my 2007, sorry about the confusion.

How do the headlamp washers work ? (didn't even know I had this feature !)
You can activate the headlamp washers by either: hitting the windshield washer button (when the headlights are on) or pressing the headlamp washer button on the dashboard.
The following users liked this post:
DavidinCT (06-09-17)
Old 06-09-17, 11:48 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I'm 6'1" and my kids are both tall and I've never heard them complain about lack of leg room in the back...and I've had some other tall people back there as well. The L version must be huge back there, I don't see any reason for it unless your passenger is Patrick Ewing, but it's pretty cool nonetheless.

Last edited by Doublebase; 06-09-17 at 11:54 AM.