LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Inventory and Pricing on 2013/2014 LS 460L

Search this Thread

Old 06-24-17, 05:37 PM
mbarron37
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 58 Posts

I hope the ML stereo is as good as the one I had in my 2011, that one sounded great.

Lots of black cars available. I hope as we get closer to the all new LS hitting the lots, that more and more current versions become available with more color options. At the very least I would expect pricing to lower slightly as the new LS debuts.
Old 07-01-17, 04:21 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Does anyone know of a resource where I can get updated wholesale auction info from Mannheim? I am trying to get an idea of the spread between auction prices and dealer retail.

in that same vein, does anyone know of a reliable 3rd party that will take me to an auction or look for a car for a fee? I am located in Mass if that helps.

I see very low inventory and very high retail on '13's and '14's right now. I am beginnnng to think I might need to wait until the new LS is actually released. Thanks and the search continues..............
Old 07-01-17, 04:31 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
Does anyone know of a resource where I can get updated wholesale auction info from Mannheim? I am trying to get an idea of the spread between auction prices and dealer retail.

in that same vein, does anyone know of a reliable 3rd party that will take me to an auction or look for a car for a fee? I am located in Mass if that helps.

I see very low inventory and very high retail on '13's and '14's right now. I am beginnnng to think I might need to wait until the new LS is actually released. Thanks and the search continues..............
I am not sure how far you've extended your search, but I would not be too surprised by your findings, especially if you've kept it reasonably local. I've been down this very road before as I pointed out a few posts back.

At any rate, for a local car buying service, here you go: https://ganleyautoadvisors.com/
Old 07-01-17, 05:33 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Originally Posted by caha14
I am not sure how far you've extended your search, but I would not be too surprised by your findings, especially if you've kept it reasonably local. I've been down this very road before as I pointed out a few posts back.

At any rate, for a local car buying service, here you go: https://ganleyautoadvisors.com/
Thanks! I will see what they have to say.
Old 07-01-17, 07:02 AM
caha14
Racer

Received 83 Likes on 65 Posts

I believe David may be working only with prior customers and referrals, in which case I'm happy to share more details as needed. I dealt with him in 2011 when looking for my LS 460. At the time, the quality of the cars at auction in the Northeast was lousy (as was dealer inventory), so I ended up buying in Texas. Great guy, though. For context, this was when the earthquake in Japan hit.

Ironically, a few years later, my 600 in near-new condition was picked up by Lexus of Portland (Oregon) at Manheim in Vegas...
Old 07-01-17, 08:25 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 322 Likes on 280 Posts

Originally Posted by mbarron37
I see very low inventory and very high retail on '13's and '14's right now.
Hmmm............ Must just be the local MA market. There are boatloads in NY, for example. You should probably extend your search and do your initial screening by phone and carfax (most dealers will send you a carfax if you're serious). And if is gets past that stage and the car is a private sale or non-lexus dealer, you can get the seller to have it inspected at a lexus dealer for about $120 plus an "incentive" for them if they take it there for you and the car is as described (you pay the lexus dealer up front by credit card for the inspection). That's how I got my first LS and had no regrets (other than a very poor customer service experience with Lexus Corporate, which was nothing to do with the original purchase).
Old 07-01-17, 06:27 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Each market is different so it's hard to help since I live in a different market. Here in FL, the difference between a 2012 (L or SWB) vs. a similarly equipped and similar mileage 2013 is about $10k. I shopped within the '10-'14 range for about a year before buying my car (late model '10 L). I compared dozens and dozens of cars and always found the value of a '13 to be almost exactly $10k more than a '12. I also found that each year of the car was worth around $1,500 (so a 2013 with 50k miles would be $1,500 cheaper than the exact same car with 50k miles as a 2014 model) and also had a general feel for how much each additional 10k miles had depreciated the car. I tracked all of this very closely and would only compare cars that were equipped identically (with features I cared about) and it helped me come up with a "formula" of sorts for determining a really good deal when I saw one.

I think the range of $47k-$53k seems high for the pricing I'm used to seeing here in FL (and keep in mind a 2013 is about to technically be 5 years old). I just did a quick search near my zip and there are a handful of '13's and '14's that are CPO and the asking price for a '13 starts in the $41k range. These aren't L's, so those may command another $1,500 or so in the used market (the cars listed did have Levinson, etc). So I would peg a CPO 2013 L down here with under 40k miles around $42k as an asking price. There are some cars that are in the mid to upper $40k range but those have less than 20k miles (probably snowbird cars). CPO cars with 55k - 60k miles are priced around $38k (not LWB, so add the premium to that).

I can't remember the launch date of the LS500, but I would imagine it's some time in the late fall/early winter if Lexus continues their typical model year release timing. That being said, I think you'll see the '13-'17 bodystyle take a slight dip in price when the 500 comes out, at which point you can get a better deal. And I won't get started on how/why I think the used car market bubble is about to burst.... I think time is on your side and the longer you wait, the better deal you will get for many reasons.
I didn't track the price variations as fastidiously as jrmckinley, but observed the same $10K premium for the 2013 vs 2012. Most of us can relate with the limited pickings for a non-black LS. I was at the dealership two weeks ago and sitting in the LC500 chatting with one of the managers. He mentioned they've sold about five LCs so far and expect the LS500 in January 2018! Totally off topic but that LC's trunk is more like a shelf. Here's a pic:

I do agree that many appear to be barebones but I think that has to do with how Lexus shuffled the option packages, forcing buyers to go big or go home. On the 2007-2009, you could option air suspension and rear cooled seats separately from the rear AC. Then beginning in 2010+ you had to get the rear AC if you wanted the rear cooled seats, which increased the package price as well as sacrificed trunk space.

Good luck on your search. Be patient. I thought I would never find the right combo but two months after we purchased our 2013 I saw three white ones listed (my original color choice). Plus, the more time you take looking to buy, the lower prices will become. The wait is tough though and hope you find the right one sooner rather than later.
Old 07-01-17, 06:48 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 115 Likes on 95 Posts

Originally Posted by sktn77a
Just a side note, be prepared to be a little disappointed with the 2013+ ML system - it's not nearly as good as the 2007-2012. I've had both and this was very noticeable to me. You might want to compare the two to see if it will really be a dealbreaker in a 2013+ as, like you say, there are quite a lot of cars out there without it. Note - I haven't heard a non-ML system so I don't know how they compare (hence the recommendation you compare the two)
Sound advice for mbarron to test both model year ranges, Keith (no pun intended). The 2007/2008 examples I test drove were in terrible condition but the ML system stuck out in my mind with strong base. Our 2013 ML doesn't quite have the natural punch of the 2007-2009 MLs, but it still sounds pretty phenomenal to me. I can turn up the base if needed to compensate. At default equalizer settings, yes, the 2007-2009 ML sounds like it has more bass. However, the 2013 ML still sounds natural with great clarity and fidelity. I can listen to our ML for hours without ear fatigue, as opposed to having to turn off the radio in an MDX during a brief test drive because the speakers sounded so scratchy and tinny that it hurt my ears and grated on my nerves.
Old 08-14-17, 06:40 AM
mbarron37
Advanced

Quick question.

On the 2011 460L i owner there was a rear sunshade as well as rear side sunshades. I see the rear comes with comfort package, but side only comes with ultra luxury package or executive package? I am not sure how the 2011's were optioned, but I did not have any expensive package that ic an remember.

Did they change the packages starting in 2013 to only have rear side sunshades with just the UL or executive package?