LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Chalky type residue on dash

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-17, 11:34 AM
Ledfam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Chalky type residue on dash

Hey guys! Got this chalky residue on my black dash. I used a very small amount of Meguirs interior detailer on a microfiber cloth and you can see the discoloration where the cloth went over dash. Really noticeable. Is it actual residue or fading? I using a lukewarm water only on the microfiber towel and soon as it dried, back to chalky haze. What can you apply to the black dash to remove? Im afraid to put anything else on it for now. suggestions? 2011 black/ black 460. applied at night in garage dont think overbearing heat an issue!
Old 06-23-17, 01:02 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Well, some of the 07+ cars had "sticky dash" syndrome. What color was the microfiber cloth you used - was it fibers from the cloth? Did you wipe on the meguires evenly all over the dash or just where the discoloration is? You migh want to try a (very) little armorall on the discoloration to see if it gets rid of it.
Old 06-23-17, 01:55 PM
Ledfam
Rookie

Keith,
I used a orange mf cloth and sprayed the interior detailer on cloth first and then wiped it down. It produced a glaze/ haze look a day or so later. I wiped it down with mf cloth and water after i recognized the issue and it did not help. dont think the cloth was dirty with another cleaner. need something to restore black matte color. ill try armour all. has anyone tried Mothers vlr?
Old 06-23-17, 03:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

has anyone tried Mothers vlr?
I have. It works nicely, but nothing special. Furthermore, it says on the label "do not use on plastic". That worries me, because when you spray anything inside the car, you're likely to get some on plastic. I'd rather stick with 303 Aerospace or Interior Detailer (Meguiars or Mothers).
Old 06-23-17, 03:16 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

303 is good stuff for vinyl (I use it on my boat). Armorall has a glossy protectant (the original) and a matte protectant (that I've never used).
Old 06-23-17, 03:48 PM
Ledfam
Rookie

I just dont want to make it worse. Should i clean it first with water and light cleaner before armour all or just go in first with armour all?
Old 06-23-17, 04:42 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

I'm not sure anyone can advise you on this. You might consider taking to a better auto detailing shop and ask them.

Here's a review from Amazon:

"This stuff smells nice (it's not fruity or overpowering laundry softener smelling) but that's about the last nice thing I can say about it. The directions say to apply directly to a surface, wipe/spread immediately w/ soft cloth and then flip to a clean portion of the cloth and wipe dry. Unless you completely saturate the surface, you get an initial spray mark shadow that's very difficult to smooth out, even if you are spreading immediately after spraying. This drives you to completely saturate surfaces (using a lot of product) but also causing problems with over-spray and then you need a bunch of extra towels to buff the excess liquid up. It leaves a very noticeable haze on high gloss surfaces even if you buff immediately. Also, something that requires spray application and immediate buffing, doesn't really qualify as 'Quik' Having a black interior and living in New Mexico, I can also tell you this has NO anti-static/dust repelling properties (the actual bottle doesn't claim this, but the Amazon description does).
I get way better results from the Target knock off armor-all wipes. I would return it if I could."

If you don't get any joy here or at an auto detailer, you could try "saturating the dash surface" as per the instructions to even out the finish.
Old 06-24-17, 05:05 PM
Ledfam
Rookie

ok, here is what solved the problem. waited til the car cooled down. diluted windex/ water 50/50. sprayed on new microfiber cloth. dash was really sticky, almost tacky. rubbed lightly over dash and haziness and streaks gone. didnt spray directly on dash. nothing but water on microfiber cloth going on it again!
Old 06-24-17, 07:25 PM
Chuckinnj
Advanced

Received 77 Likes on 60 Posts

After a good cleaning follow up with 303 Aerospace Protectant........ The also have a plastic cleaner that works well too! www.goldeagle.com
Old 06-25-17, 06:14 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ledfam
ok, here is what solved the problem. waited til the car cooled down. diluted windex/ water 50/50. sprayed on new microfiber cloth. dash was really sticky, almost tacky. rubbed lightly over dash and haziness and streaks gone. didnt spray directly on dash. nothing but water on microfiber cloth going on it again!
Did this get rid of the stickiness after it dried off or did it just make it uniform all over the dash?
Old 06-25-17, 02:20 PM
Ledfam
Rookie

i waited until about 10:30 at night parked in garage. you could see the cloth marks and haze from applying the quik interior detailer even in dim garage. much worse in sunlight. i mixed diluted windex/ water and sprayed in mf cloth. the dash before rubbing the quik interior detailer has always been soft and tacky feeling but the only way you would know it was by touching it. it would leave fingerprints. my kids touch dash and glove box and i can see their hand outlines. when car was cooled off, the mf was kind of pull over the dash and stick in spots so i wet mf more on that area. it cleaned up the haze and cloudiness but it is still soft and tacky. 2011 ls 460 black/ black

2011 lexus ls 460
2012 mercedes glk 350
2013 nissan armada sv
2004 bmw 325i
1996 nissan maxima
1990 z28
1976 corvette stingray
Old 06-25-17, 03:53 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Hmmmm........... Sounds like you have the sticky dash syndrome. How are your door armrests/door pulls? Are they sticky too?
Old 06-25-17, 05:17 PM
Ledfam
Rookie

yes, the door panels are sticky. if you put anything greasy on them, ie, armour al, they look good until it dries out and it dries out uneven. lasts maybe 1-2 days and then looks worse. so wish i had leather wrapped door panels. dash has 3-4 places where when it was hot, literally has an indention. cannot touch dash at all if you want to keep clean. no cracks or anything like that, it just tacky even sitting in garage. its probably 100 degrees in my garage here in alabama right now so that does not help very much!
Old 06-25-17, 06:02 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Its a real shame. My 07 had its dash replaced last March. And around the edge where the speaker cut outs are it has a shiny ring. Noticed it in early May emailed my dealer got no response. Yesterday was in the mid 80s parked outside for about an hour. Still turns sticky on top of front door panels. The new dash looks to me as it wants to turn shiny again. I even have my windows tinted i think about 20 percent and have tinted the sun roof. Put Llumar Air 80 on the windshield. It all helps but can still turn sticky.

I heard that even the new dash will in time turn sticky in time.
Old 06-25-17, 06:45 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ledfam
yes, the door panels are sticky. if you put anything greasy on them, ie, armour al, they look good until it dries out and it dries out uneven. lasts maybe 1-2 days and then looks worse. so wish i had leather wrapped door panels. dash has 3-4 places where when it was hot, literally has an indention. cannot touch dash at all if you want to keep clean. no cracks or anything like that, it just tacky even sitting in garage. its probably 100 degrees in my garage here in alabama right now so that does not help very much!
I'd take the car in to your dealer and see if they'll go to bat for you. Lexus have been arbitrarily replacing sticky dashboards and door panels on later model cars cars not officially covered by the goodwill warranty. Can't hurt! The oficially covered cars are 2007 only but, like I say, they have been covereing some later cars - I think it depends how much the dealer supports the request.

Quick Reply: Chalky type residue on dash