LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

sticky door panels and dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-19, 04:08 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default 08’ ls

I’ve had all parts replaced except glove box and rear small panel below the armrest where the rear vents are. Very pleasant and professional experience, but I’ve always had that at my dealership. Just waiting on those 2 parts now and my service guy says Lexus never gives him an eta, and I get that.
HOWEVER, the 4 plastic (look like wood panels) don’t match the rest of the other panels on the car. I didn’t even notice this until a few days later driving it in daylight.

SO, I sent photos to my guy, and after falling all over himself with apologies, found out they don’t make the color for my car anymore; (kind of a greenish/grey tint). The new door panel inserts are grey. SO, his service manager contacted Lexus corporate with the problem, and get this, they’re replacing ALL the other inserts; above the glove box, all the little panels by the window controls, AND the entire steering wheel. All to match the grey. God only know how much more that will cost Lexus (am told this cost $10k per car for this recall).

While of course all the panel insert colors should match, I find it quite astounding they’re doing this all for me, and it just solidified my being a Lexus owner for the past 20 years....

So all of you getting this work done, keep an eye on the color match!

Last edited by STROMS; 01-27-19 at 04:13 PM. Reason: Posting pic
The following users liked this post:
213374U (01-27-19)
Old 01-27-19, 06:08 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by STROMS
I’ve had all parts replaced except glove box and rear small panel below the armrest where the rear vents are. Very pleasant and professional experience, but I’ve always had that at my dealership. Just waiting on those 2 parts now and my service guy says Lexus never gives him an eta, and I get that.
HOWEVER, the 4 plastic (look like wood panels) don’t match the rest of the other panels on the car. I didn’t even notice this until a few days later driving it in daylight.

SO, I sent photos to my guy, and after falling all over himself with apologies, found out they don’t make the color for my car anymore; (kind of a greenish/grey tint). The new door panel inserts are grey. SO, his service manager contacted Lexus corporate with the problem, and get this, they’re replacing ALL the other inserts; above the glove box, all the little panels by the window controls, AND the entire steering wheel. All to match the grey. God only know how much more that will cost Lexus (am told this cost $10k per car for this recall).

While of course all the panel insert colors should match, I find it quite astounding they’re doing this all for me, and it just solidified my being a Lexus owner for the past 20 years....

Geez Louise!!! I need to go to that dealership.
Old 01-27-19, 06:15 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Thanks for the heads-up, mine should be going in over the next few weeks.
Old 01-27-19, 07:00 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Originally Posted by 213374U
Thanks for the heads-up, mine should be going in over the next few weeks.

BTW, to clarify, the plastic panels that don’t match are the ones on the door panels. Those complete door panels are apparently made as one piece, and the plastic inserts appear to be molded in place on the door panels.

Also, I tried a few times to attached one of the photos I took for the dealer, but for some reason it hasn’t attached correctly.

If there’s a secret I’m missing in attaching a photo (I’m brand new to this forum), somebody let me know please.

Thanks.
Old 01-28-19, 09:54 AM
STROMS
Rookie

Default Ls460

Photo still not working?
Old 01-28-19, 11:55 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

If you're trying to embed it in the post:
  • Hit the 'image' button and a window will pop-up to select your picture
  • You can drag-and-drop or browse for your pic
  • Select the pic
  • Wait for pic to load 100%, you'll see the image
  • Click "Upload" in the upper right-hand corner
  • It will take you back to edit your post, you should see the picture, and hit "Post Reply"

I imagine it was the second to last step (bolded) you were missing.
Old 01-28-19, 01:50 PM
STROMS
Rookie

The grey is what was part of all 4 new door panels, the greenish grey is original.
Old 01-28-19, 01:51 PM
STROMS
Rookie

And I thank you for the help!
Old 01-28-19, 02:20 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

So the wood trim itself!?!?! That's not plastic, and if that's the case...
Old 01-28-19, 02:29 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Yes, the wood trim, door panels, the pieces surrounding the window controls, the dash area, steering wheel, and the big piece surrounding the gear shifter and the radio. The ones that came with the new door panels, as you can see, are of a greyer color. As mentioned, my color, of a greener grey tint, are no longer made, so my dealer has told me all that other parts that don’t match, will be replaced to match the grey that came with the new door panels.
Old 01-28-19, 10:04 PM
joeccl
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I also got sticky and shiny stuff on the door panel plastic, the above dashboard, the glove box and so on. Basically it happens when I park under the sun for around 30 minutes. Not sure about the cause. But it seems I can wipe it off a bit when it melt. Are there any chemicals that can help to clean it up?

May I know what is the part number, or at least what is this pieces is named, if I want to replace this part? Thanks.

Old 01-29-19, 09:46 AM
STROMS
Rookie

Don't bother, just contact your local Lexus dealer and have them look at the car. Good chance they'll replace everything under their "Customer Support Program Notification".
Old 01-29-19, 10:10 AM
AC430
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Repair

Yeah they just got all my parts ordered again. The first color was wrong
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Scanned Documents.pdf (507.4 KB, 189 views)
Old 01-29-19, 11:21 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 343 Likes on 262 Posts

I haven't really noticed a difference in my new wood trim vs old. And that is probably a good thing. I usually spot variances pretty quick. Now though, you got me thinking about it. I'll have to try and remember to look this afternoon.
Old 01-29-19, 03:24 PM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Yes, the wood trim, door panels, the pieces surrounding the window controls, the dash area, steering wheel, and the big piece surrounding the gear shifter and the radio.
That's nuts!!! I'm now REALLY hoping that mine don't match, bought the car with a crack just forward of the gear selector and would be awesome to get that replaced as well.

Quick Reply: sticky door panels and dash