LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

sticky door panels and dash

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-19 | 11:51 AM
Atit
Driver School Candidate

Default Need help!!!

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I was turned down the first time because my SA had no idea what I was talking about...
now that summer is here my door panel arm area was getting sticky again.. I drove straight to the dealership and another SA assisted me and ordered 4 panels. If your arm area is really dirty compared to your other cars, the material is probably "absorbing" the dirt.

PARK YOUR CAR IN THE SUN FOR 2 hours. Let it bake while you are watching Despicable Me 3. Take a video or pictures.

the black part was discoloring a little but not sticky. The arm area was veryyyy sticky and melting..

my car is garage kept and only around 80k
This is a long shot. But by any chance do you know what material it is? I’m trying to clean it myself but don’t know what material it is.
Old 09-10-19 | 12:32 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Originally Posted by Atit
This is a long shot. But by any chance do you know what material it is? I’m trying to clean it myself but don’t know what material it is.
I did as you said. Parked the car in the sun, windows up. After it gets good and hot drive to dealer, windows up A/C off. SA found everything gummy/sticky...ordered all interior panels no ?s asked. 3 of the 5 assemblies he ordered have arrived...waiting for the rest.
Old 01-06-20 | 02:05 PM
Goochi2000
Driver School Candidate

Default Thank you

I just want to say thanks to everyone in this thread for all the great information. Took my 2008 to the dealership today and they ordered piece that is covered. So thanks again!
Old 01-11-20 | 03:59 PM
Demo82
Driver School Candidate

Took my '08 LS460 in a couple weeks ago and it looks like it will be covered. Standing by for an update from the dealer and Corporate Lexus.
Old 01-11-20 | 09:29 PM
RandyV
Advanced

Anyone get all their parts replaced? We have our 460 in the shop to replace 4 of the 8 parts covered under this program.

You really need to be aggressive in order to get your sticky parts replaced.

Talking with Lexus Corporate this is a huge customer satisfaction program world wide.

Old 01-11-20 | 11:49 PM
scutch
Pit Crew

I also brought my car in for pics because my VIN qualifies for the second round of replacements and the service woman seemed confident that I would get all 4 pieces replaced: glove box, center and rear console, and lower console under the steering wheel. Now she called and said they need to get it in and take measurements that could take 1.5 hours. They are going to valet my car in and give me loaner. If they haven't confirmed me for the replacement yet, what are they measuring for that long? What could they not know the measurements of in the first place?

Also, the previous replaced pieces done during the other owner's tenure made the steering center piece dark grey. Can I have them put and ivory pieces in there instead, like the rest of the original interior color? What's with the wrong color pieces? Grey was a great idea for the top dash, however. It greatly reduces windshield glare. Can I only get the correct colored pieces?

Eddie
2007 LS460
Old 01-12-20 | 04:55 AM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by scutch
I also brought my car in for pics because my VIN qualifies for the second round of replacements and the service woman seemed confident that I would get all 4 pieces replaced: glove box, center and rear console, and lower console under the steering wheel. Now she called and said they need to get it in and take measurements that could take 1.5 hours. They are going to valet my car in and give me loaner. If they haven't confirmed me for the replacement yet, what are they measuring for that long? What could they not know the measurements of in the first place?

Also, the previous replaced pieces done during the other owner's tenure made the steering center piece dark grey. Can I have them put and ivory pieces in there instead, like the rest of the original interior color? What's with the wrong color pieces? Grey was a great idea for the top dash, however. It greatly reduces windshield glare. Can I only get the correct colored pieces?

Eddie
2007 LS460

Thats ver odd it should only be a part number mine was done in mins. You talking about the center steering wheel air bag cover?? Those are all grey.
Old 01-12-20 | 07:32 AM
scutch
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
Thats ver odd it should only be a part number mine was done in mins. You talking about the center steering wheel air bag cover?? Those are all grey.
Well, thats good to know! Yes, the center of the steering wheel. But on an ivory interior car the tops of the door panels where the red security light is, those aren't supposed to be grey too, are they?
Old 01-12-20 | 01:06 PM
RandyV
Advanced

I've been waiting for replacement parts for 8 months now. Finally was told the replacement dash and door arm rests have arrived. Car is in the shop for other service so having those interior parts installed now.

I've been approved to have all parts replaced. When done will make the interior look new again.

Talked with Lexus Corporate last week - they were the ones who tol;d me my local dealership had some of the parts in - not the dealership!

The guy at Corporate told me this is a HUGE good will campaign, the largest in the history of Lexus.
Old 01-12-20 | 01:18 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by joedaddy1
I was turned down the first time because my SA had no idea what I was talking about...
now that summer is here my door panel arm area was getting sticky again.. I drove straight to the dealership and another SA assisted me and ordered 4 panels. If your arm area is really dirty compared to your other cars, the material is probably "absorbing" the dirt.

PARK YOUR CAR IN THE SUN FOR 2 hours. Let it bake while you are watching Despicable Me 3. Take a video or pictures.

the black part was discoloring a little but not sticky. The arm area was veryyyy sticky and melting..

my car is garage kept and only around 80k
I took ours into the dealer for the sticky arm rest on the door and the mechanic cleaned it with brake fluid and said that it was alright.

I'm going to take our LS in there this summer after leaving it sit out and let things get nice and sticky. I'll tell the mechanic not to clean it with brake fluid because it's just going to happen again and then let him put his arm on it and tell me that's normal. I kind of hope that it takes the first layer of skin off of his arm and let him tell me that's how it's suppose to be.

They told me that I only get one chance to submit it, so to make sure that it's sticky enough to see in a picture to submit to Lexus Corporate.

We'll see how it goes.

How did you Guys that got this approved do it? Did most of the work come from Corporate or the Dealership? Do you have any tips to share?

Thanks in advance!

Old 01-12-20 | 05:28 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by scutch
Well, thats good to know! Yes, the center of the steering wheel. But on an ivory interior car the tops of the door panels where the red security light is, those aren't supposed to be grey too, are they?
No the tops of door panel are grey as well to match the dash. Later models the grey and dash went leather wrapped.
Old 01-12-20 | 05:34 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Originally Posted by FreddyG
I took ours into the dealer for the sticky arm rest on the door and the mechanic cleaned it with brake fluid and said that it was alright.

I'm going to take our LS in there this summer after leaving it sit out and let things get nice and sticky. I'll tell the mechanic not to clean it with brake fluid because it's just going to happen again and then let him put his arm on it and tell me that's normal. I kind of hope that it takes the first layer of skin off of his arm and let him tell me that's how it's suppose to be.

They told me that I only get one chance to submit it, so to make sure that it's sticky enough to see in a picture to submit to Lexus Corporate.

We'll see how it goes.

How did you Guys that got this approved do it? Did most of the work come from Corporate or the Dealership? Do you have any tips to share?

Thanks in advance!

I took mine to local dealership they just said no not bad try later. I ended up going to another a couple hours away and they said its bad and ordered the parts. Some of us have had to go to another dealer. My door panels are leather arms but the tops get sticky at times. Lexus Corp said no and my VIN is not included for doors anymore. I can live with that since its not the arm rest.
Old 01-13-20 | 08:34 AM
rcboneyard
Rookie

Default Per another sticky thread MUST READ ZLZ Customer Support Program

The BEST resource for additional information is to research the "CUSTOMER SUPPORT PROGRAM ZLZ" - Repair Coverage for the Dashboard and/or Certain Interior Trim Panels.If you research the IN SERVICE date of your vehicle and it qualifies, providing this program information to a corporate customer experience case worker will perform miracles for your side. My dealer, manager and case worker had NO idea about the program until I obtained the program specifics. Good luck!

https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/tsbs/20...45764-9999.pdf
The following users liked this post:
FreddyG (01-13-20)
Old 01-13-20 | 01:12 PM
FreddyG
Intermediate

Originally Posted by johnnyg66
I took mine to local dealership they just said no not bad try later. I ended up going to another a couple hours away and they said its bad and ordered the parts. Some of us have had to go to another dealer. My door panels are leather arms but the tops get sticky at times. Lexus Corp said no and my VIN is not included for doors anymore. I can live with that since its not the arm rest.
Thank You.
Old 01-17-20 | 10:47 AM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

I just stopped by my local dealer to get the inspection for this done. I had originally called Lexus directly, then the dealership to make sure I was going about this in the right order. Lexus said I'm covered. Dealer said I'm covered and I can stop in any time (no appointment needed). When I go to the dealer the gentleman that helped me wasn't sure it was covered, saying the ZLZ campaign expired (through some secondary expiration date??). He called Lexus and confirmed I was covered and to go ahead with the inspection. He mentioned he only saw cracks on the two front doors and that he had to take pictures of damage too. I found a crack on one of the rear doors while we were standing there. He took a picture. I got the sense he wasn't enthusiastic about helping out. I don't think my doors are beaten up. I do think the material is deteriorating. Not as bad as some I've seen, but that doesn't mean it's not affected. We'll see I guess.

What's the turnaround from inspection to decision people have had?

Quick Reply: sticky door panels and dash