LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

sticky door panels and dash

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-20, 01:07 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default sticky doors

I received a letter from Lexus out of the blue that my VIN was part of the recall. Went to My Lexus dealer and they said no even when I showed them the letter. I then went to another Lexus dealer and they said yes with no questions asked. The first dealer will no longer be "my" dealer. The parts took months to arrive (one at a time). The car is in the dealer getting the parts installed as I write this. They gave me a 2019 ES350 as a loaner.
ADVICE: Don't take no for an answer. Try another dealer or get Lexus involved. After you get your yes, be PATIENT...it is a long slow process getting the parts. It's worth the wait!
Old 01-17-20, 01:11 PM
user 710812323
Pit Crew

Received 41 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by obsessed
I received a letter from Lexus out of the blue that my VIN was part of the recall. Went to My Lexus dealer and they said no even when I showed them the letter. I then went to another Lexus dealer and they said yes with no questions asked. The first dealer will no longer be "my" dealer. The parts took months to arrive (one at a time). The car is in the dealer getting the parts installed as I write this. They gave me a 2019 ES350 as a loaner.
ADVICE: Don't take no for an answer. Try another dealer or get Lexus involved. After you get your yes, be PATIENT...it is a long slow process getting the parts. It's worth the wait!
I'm not terribly worried (at this point) about how long it takes to get parts. I just want to cross the hurdle of being approved first. To be fair, my claim was submitted.

Does the submitter have any sway in the decision? And, if they only submitted for 3 of the 4 doors, would Lexus only replace 3 of 4 panels?
Old 01-17-20, 01:18 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Don't know the 3 vs 4 door panels since I was approved for 4. The 4th door has not arrived yet but I told them to install everything else since my parts have been cluttering their storage area for months. Will do the 4th door later
Old 01-22-20, 10:30 AM
Ledfam
Rookie

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Ok! I have mine fully completed. Things i wish i knew before starting the journey. First of all, it took from 11/18 to 1/20 to get all parts completed and installed. The dash was installed first, then door panels, then glove box, then console box. This took approx 6 visits to complete. you WILL have to call and stay on them. The most success i had was AFTER calling regularly. Make sure to check their work before leaving. They did not adjust my glove box after install which affected trunk release in glove box! It was totally worth it in the end but I did grow a few gray hairs in the process! Hope everyone else gets theirs completed faster! 2011 RWd 460 black/black
Old 03-17-20, 08:27 AM
CRSO
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

I went to the dealer yesterday and got approved...

The dealer just called me and said 3 of my 9 parts have arrived and they want to start installing asap. Going to pick up the loaner today! Wow!
Old 03-22-20, 09:23 PM
stkgator
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The dash, console, glove box, and door panels were replaced on my '07 LS in early 2018. When I was recently cleaning the interior, I noticed that the small metal tags over the door speakers were labeled "Mark Levinson" - even though I do not have the Levinson stereo option. I am fairly certain that when they replaced the door panels, it was replaced as a single piece and included all of the attachments (switches and door lamp) so it is possible that new speakers were also included (assuming they would work correctly with a non-Levinson head unit)? Regardless of the speaker type, I am hoping that the speakers where changed as I have found some Toyota speakers start to deteriorate with age.
Old 10-06-20, 04:20 PM
bigrobphil
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I have an 07 LS460 and just went by Lexus of Birmingham today and they made me an appointment on the spot to replace both front and rear doors, instrument panel dash, glove box, console box and rear console box. I was pretty wary about what they would do after reading this thread, but luckily I think Lexus of Birmingham is a good one and is doing right by me. Will post pics of before and after, they said they should have all parts within a month.
Old 10-06-20, 05:10 PM
STROMS
Rookie

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by stkgator
The dash, console, glove box, and door panels were replaced on my '07 LS in early 2018. When I was recently cleaning the interior, I noticed that the small metal tags over the door speakers were labeled "Mark Levinson" - even though I do not have the Levinson stereo option. I am fairly certain that when they replaced the door panels, it was replaced as a single piece and included all of the attachments (switches and door lamp) so it is possible that new speakers were also included (assuming they would work correctly with a non-Levinson head unit)? Regardless of the speaker type, I am hoping that the speakers where changed as I have found some Toyota speakers start to deteriorate with age.

No, the speakers are attached to the door. They don’t get replaced.The panel is one complete unit, including the wood insert, and part of that is a new speaker cover. At least on mine which is ML.
Old 10-06-20, 05:42 PM
obsessed
Rookie

Default Sticky Interior

Congratulations! I had this done this Spring. Looks great! I am very impressed. Now, if we could only get them to make the navigation user-upgradeable like before. Now you are REQUIRED to go to the dealer and have them use special hardware and software to upgrade...Hundreds of $$$. No more DVDs. A douche move.
Old 10-07-20, 01:54 PM
tx170754
Intermediate

Received 67 Likes on 54 Posts
Default Sticky door panels and dash

Originally Posted by STROMS
No, the speakers are attached to the door. They don’t get replaced.The panel is one complete unit, including the wood insert, and part of that is a new speaker cover. At least on mine which is ML.
Just got 2 right panels ( the other 2 ones are on order) dash and console replaced, and yeah, they replaced the whole panel Including the wood insert, I’m very impressed Lexus did this 😊
The following users liked this post:
CamelKool (03-20-21)
Old 10-07-20, 05:26 PM
bls8195
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My vin according to Lexus qualifies however I ha e to take it 3 hours away to Lexus for verification and pictures for the case. Do you think I will qualify? Pictures attached.

Old 10-07-20, 06:43 PM
Style
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Yes

Originally Posted by Bob727
2007 ls 460 soft plastic door panel parts are sticky. Any fixes
I am a igl certified installer and on my personal ls460l and a couple of customers cars I've applied igl trim it's a protective coating that made it smooth again and like new so far a few months into it with normal wipe downs and it's just like the day I applied it..

https://iglcoatings.com/product/ecocoat-trim/

Old 10-08-20, 12:45 PM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 212 Likes on 190 Posts

I have upgraded leather so I did not have melting issues, however I could see the top plastic trim near the window starting to get a shine that would not go away, not sticky but a tiny tiny bit tacky, the dash has a even shine through. So what I did was I used Dr Leather it’s something I got here in Ukraine they have cleaners strippers, primer/adhesion promoter - one for leather and one for vinyl/plastics.

So basically I recoated everything with matte top coat, over time the polyurethane wears off, so I fixed it.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...d-leather.html

will add pics of dash once I’m done.

Old 10-17-20, 09:19 PM
Style
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Anybody think maybe this problem is caused by the amount of chromium in the soft panels , these ls models have a way higher ppm then most other vehicles.
https://www.ecocenter.org/healthy-st...us-ls-460-2008
Old 02-17-21, 12:12 PM
JohnieJ
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Robb92914
Go to dealer see if they will replace them for free. If not, call Lexus corporate and file a complaint. I have a 2010 and Lexus replaced all 4 panels for free.
Spoke to our dealer here in South Africa. Said they have never heard of that.. guess only in America then

Quick Reply: sticky door panels and dash