LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Brake Malfunction Check ABS & VSC lights

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-17, 08:56 PM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Malfunction Check ABS & VSC lights

I have a 2008 LS460 with 99k miles. While driving, all of a sudden, a "Brake Malfunction" warning appears on the dash followed by Check VSC and ABS System - then a message saying " Stop the vehicle in a safe place immediately - Contact a dealer" I let the car sit for 3 hours, followed by the same messages. I had the brake actuator replaced under warranty with 26k miles. Any suggestions on what might be needed? I hate to go into this process with the dealer, as it seems they may have an expensive answer.
Old 07-09-17, 05:44 AM
hfahmy
Instructor

Received 56 Likes on 51 Posts

Actuator. Lexus has warranty extension till 100k miles. You are very lucky this happened at 99k... take a picture of the lights with the odo reading if u can't make it to the dealer while you are still below 100k
Old 07-09-17, 03:03 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by hfahmy
Actuator. Lexus has warranty extension till 100k miles. You are very lucky this happened at 99k... take a picture of the lights with the odo reading if u can't make it to the dealer while you are still below 100k
Yeah...no kidding. Hopefully he's not at 99,990 kms or so. OP...get it to the dealer ASAP. This is one bill you don't want to foot.
Old 04-28-18, 11:47 PM
Sandu

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Is the warranty extended to 100k regardless of vehicle age?
I have a 2007 LS with 58k miles on it and it seems that periodically I have all these lights on my dashboard
Old 04-29-18, 05:07 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Warranty Enhancement Program - ZLG Certain 2006 – 2007 GS 430, 2007 – 2011 GS 450h, 2008 – 2011 GS 460, 2007 – 2012 LS 460, and 2006 – 2008 RX 400h Vehicles Extension of Warranty Coverage for Brake Actuator Assembly

https://testing-public.carmd.com/Tsb...-CP-ZLG-A110-D
Old 04-29-18, 05:09 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

Originally Posted by Sandu
I have a 2007 LS with 58k miles on it and it seems that periodically I have all these lights on my dashboard
You are probably out of luck because primary coverage expired Dec 2017 and secondary coverage has 10 year limit on vehicle life. Doesn't hurt checking with Lexus.
Old 05-01-18, 11:20 AM
lexier
Driver School Candidate

I've had 2 brake actuators replaced in my 2008. The last one being done with 99k miles. Both were covered under warranty. Does anyone know if Lexus will honor the "Secondary Coverage" if I need to have a 3rd one done before 150K miles?
Old 07-18-18, 06:41 PM
Protholl
Instructor

Received 187 Likes on 156 Posts

Wow! Thank you for this post. I was seriously going all "conspiracy theory" when I received a snail-mail factory recall notice for my 2008 LS and in less than 24 hours my dash lit up with Check Engine/ABS/VSC.

Props to all of you for providing this invaluable information.

Jeffrey
Old 04-27-19, 04:02 PM
Rattfinkk
Driver School Candidate

Default Is there an actual solution to reset the vsc light?

I see a bunch of mumbo jumbo and rabbit trails but no clear cut methods for resetting the vsc light on a 2007 ls 460. Can anyone help? Can it be reset at AutoZone or it need be a do it yourself paperclip thing. I was told the vsc code can't be read or cleared with a low end code reader. Was going to invest in one if it does work.
Old 04-28-19, 10:35 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by Rattfinkk
I see a bunch of mumbo jumbo and rabbit trails but no clear cut methods for resetting the vsc light on a 2007 ls 460. Can anyone help? Can it be reset at AutoZone or it need be a do it yourself paperclip thing. I was told the vsc code can't be read or cleared with a low end code reader. Was going to invest in one if it does work.
You can't clear it with a basic a obd2 which Autozone will have. You have to get a mechanic with an advanced obd2 reader to clear it. I paid my indy mechanic $30 to clear it when I replaced my dead battery which triggered to code. That was in Dec 2018. No pop ups since.
Old 04-28-19, 11:21 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

Elm tool and clarista can clear most codes
Old 07-02-19, 11:10 PM
drskoot
Driver School Candidate

Check VSC system warning:

Scangauge cannot read these error codes, nor reset this light.

It would appear that regen braking, traction control, and posibly some anti rollover control is dissabled if this warning light is on. So it is both fuel inneficient and possibly dangerous to drive with this light on.

First find the obd computer plug, under the dash, near your left knee, where your scanguage plugs in.
Turn car OFF.
Use a paper clip or wire to jump TC to CG.
TC is on the top shorter row, 4th pin starting from left
CG is bottom longer row, 5th pin starting from left
See diagram:

__/_@_@_@_TC_@_@_@_@_\
_/__@_@_@_@_CG_@_@_@__\

Note: I saw some posts when researcing this suggesting a jump between TS and CG. (TS is just to the left of TC ie 3rd pin). While this may/may not work on some Toyotas. On the HIHI this doesn't seem to do anything other than cause a Hybrid System Warning to be thrown. So don't.

Once the jumper is in place, To read your VSC error codes:
  1. Turn car to ON, you should see the message "VSC DIAG".It will read "VSC DIAG OK" if there are no codes.
  2. Brake warning lights will go off for 4s, then start to flash. Count the flashes, these are the error codes that caused the light to come on. They may be real, and something may need to be fixed. If the car really is broken, just resetting the light won’t do much, as it will soon trip again.
If the brake lights continually flash, then there are no codes and the display should read: "VSC DIAG OK"
Once the jumper is in place, To reset you VSC error codes and lights:
  1. turn car on.
  2. Press the bakes (enough to make the tail lights come on, not all they way) and release 8 times. Once you have done it enough times the display will change to "VSC DIAG OK"
Remember to remove jumper wire when done.
You must complete the 8 presses within 5 seconds

As always, sometimes error lights get thrown for no reason, just clear them and don't worry. But sometimes they get thrown for a reason. Ignoring real problems in your car could be dangerous for you and/or the car.
Old 07-03-19, 06:34 AM
icon901
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Protholl
Wow! Thank you for this post. I was seriously going all "conspiracy theory" when I received a snail-mail factory recall notice for my 2008 LS and in less than 24 hours my dash lit up with Check Engine/ABS/VSC.

Props to all of you for providing this invaluable information.

Jeffrey
Originally Posted by Sandu

Originally Posted by lexier
I have a 2008 LS460 with 99k miles. While driving, all of a sudden, a "Brake Malfunction" warning appears on the dash followed by Check VSC and ABS System - then a message saying " Stop the vehicle in a safe place immediately - Contact a dealer" I let the car sit for 3 hours, followed by the same messages. I had the brake actuator replaced under warranty with 26k miles. Any suggestions on what might be needed? I hate to go into this process with the dealer, as it seems they may have an expensive answer.
Those of you who have this failure:

PLEASE TAKE TWO SECONDS TO ANSWER THIS POLL >
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...e-respond.html

Thanks!
Old 08-27-19, 09:12 AM
boatpix
Driver School Candidate

I disconnected the battery and it solved my problem with these lights today. I would start with this.

Last edited by boatpix; 08-27-19 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-27-19, 09:33 AM
jdanielca
Pole Position

Received 213 Likes on 191 Posts

might not be actuator might be the sensor which is built in on the wheel hub, only way to tell if with a proper scan tool, which can also show you live nformation when the car is running, if the abs sensor on the hub is not working I think it will not show you the speed when you are moving.

Quick Reply: Brake Malfunction Check ABS & VSC lights