LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

synthetic oil

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-17, 07:35 PM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Their tests are "good enough" and shows levels of additive remaining and wear metals. That was good enough for me..
Then someone has given you bad information. Blackstone only provides you with an elemental value of the additives. This means nothing. Just because you see the additive's atomic presence does not mean it is active and not sheered. This is one big thing people who use Blackstone are never told. You need something called FTIR to see additives. ICP or what you see as elements is not the same as seeing the molecule. Big mistake I see Blackstone users make all the time.

You get no Fuel or Water % from Blackstone, ever. They use a test called open cup flash and crackle to determine fuel/water. Problem is they are never right. They always show 0% when it's in reality it's usually 2-3%.

Blackstone misguides people all the time, I love how they always tell people to continue going further on their oil when they really shouldn't. If you saw what they're actually doing, your jaw would drop and you'd probably call them up for a refund.
Old 07-31-17, 08:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

My "bad info" comes from BITOG and any other review I've read about on automotive forums. I won't deny your claims, as it's all over my head. If they say they check for wear metals and TBN, etc, I can only accept that they're info is true. Where does your insider information come from, as I'd be curious to hear more? I'm certain others here at CL would like the info as well. Here is one of the reviews I found at BITOG: https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-2/
Old 07-31-17, 08:52 AM
danielTRLK
Lead Lap

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
My "bad info" comes from BITOG and any other review I've read about on automotive forums. I won't deny your claims, as it's all over my head. If they say they check for wear metals and TBN, etc, I can only accept that they're info is true. Where does your insider information come from, as I'd be curious to hear more? I'm certain others here at CL would like the info as well. Here is one of the reviews I found at BITOG: https://bobistheoilguy.com/used-oil-analysis-2/
Sure, I understand most people will never understand the difference. I'm in the UOA field, I've put several posts on this forum about Blackstone. There's even posts by other members here showing same oil samples and how off Blackstone usually is. BITOG is no longer a reliable source of information. Place has gone downhill since Tony sold his soul to Shell.

Blackstone gets away with it, because the big companies don't care for the little samples here and there, so no one that uses Blackstone is doing it for a serious living. They have no certifications because no one cares to ask, many things they cut corners on that an ordinary person, even many magazine journalists I've met, would never know. It's tough, especially like you said, if it's not your field.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/rc-...tic-oil-9.html

Post #130 is where the two oil samples can be found from a senior mod on this forum. One was sent to Blackstone, another to my old lab. Blackstone's ICP or spectro work is usually good, their flashpoint is good and their insolubles/TBN is good too. Their fuels and water are always off. And they don't interpret properly or give FTIR. Without an accurate fuel %, water % and FTIR(to see spark plugs, O2 sensors, timing, fuel injectors, additives remaining, Air/fuel ratio, etc) you can't really tell fully what's taking place in the engine. If I saw fuel at 0% that would be amazing, I have yet to ever see a UOA with 0% fuel dilution.

Feel free to ask me anything you want free information on.