LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Buy previously wrecked??

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 02:03 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublebase
What's dumb, people not buying a car that's been in a previous accident, or me mentioning it because you don't believe it's true?

I myself bought the car knowing it had been in a previous accident, so I tend to agree that it's not going to affect the performance of the vehicle as long as it wasn't a major accident.

Ove ver tried to sell my car twice, I probably had 10 different people seriously interested in the vehicle...until it got to the accident part. That's when it ended...on all of them. Crickets after that. No responses from texts, no nothing. Didn't matter that it is a nice car, didn't matter that took care of it and answers all their questions, that was the end.

It may may not be a rare car, but why would someone buy it if it's been in an accident when there are ten others they can purchase that hasn't? Because it's not a rare car there's plenty to choose from. Now if I dropped the price $5,000 compared to those cars?? Then yeah I could sell it, but you need to know that going in. And I ran into the same stuff when I tried to trade it in, they pulled the carfax and offered me pennies on the dollar because of the accident...they said it'd probably have to go to auction. And the car is beautiful.
I think it was pretty clear I was talking about people not buying/no longer interested in a daily driver just because it was involved in a minor accident/carfax accident report when everything else checks out. It would not really bother me as long as it was repaired properly and was not major/frame damage/totaled/salvage.

It is funny because before carfax many people did not really care if the car was in a fender bender because it is very difficult to impossible to tell if it repaired properly and they care more how it looks, runs, mileage, but now when some see the accident report on carfax they are immediately turned off and think the car is somehow tarnished and there will be a bunch of issues if they buy it. Most cars eventually get involved in some kind of accident, it is almost unavoidable if you keep a car for a longer period of time.

Last edited by UDel; 08-01-17 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 08:41 AM
Wandl
Lexus Test Driver

Received 73 Likes on 51 Posts

Funny enough, my wife's Honda Pilot (that she bought brand new) showed on Carfax that it had an accident (with airbag deployment!). We found out when we were exploring to trade her car in (we didn't), but it took ~4 months back and forth with Carfax before they removed it from her Pilot's history. So Carfax clearly can make mistakes (as with Autocheck etc.)
Old 08-02-17, 09:55 AM
Bdoubleu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank you all for the insight and tips! The information on here is invaluable as it would take months of talking to different people and asking around to gain this much knowledge. I'll provide an update on my transaction soon.
Old 08-03-17, 07:39 AM
DarKnight
Lexus Champion

Received 52 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Wandl
Funny enough, my wife's Honda Pilot (that she bought brand new) showed on Carfax that it had an accident (with airbag deployment!). We found out when we were exploring to trade her car in (we didn't), but it took ~4 months back and forth with Carfax before they removed it from her Pilot's history. So Carfax clearly can make mistakes (as with Autocheck etc.)
That makes sense. Kind of like the credit bureaus. One mistake on the VIN and you could have incorrect info on a car history report.
Old 08-03-17, 08:29 AM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

My 2015 4 Runner had two accidents. One for 4k to repair the front end from a slow bump into the back of a semi and one for $2,200 from a rear end collision. Both were fixed right and undetectable. Neither made it to the carfax and I received top trade value for it when I traded it for my 2017 Jeep. All insurance companies involved and the body shop said we don't report to carfax. I even got a diminished value payment on rear ended claim.
Moving on to my current Lexus, according to the carfax and previous owner receipts my LS460 was hit in the rear corner at 6,000 miles in 2007. It had rear suspension and body work done. I looked it over pretty good and could not tell anything was ever repaired and it had run for 78k more since that so I was unfazed and bought it without hesitation.
Old 08-03-17, 11:00 AM
Chc4au
Driver

Received 12 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Diminished Value

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
My 2015 4 Runner had two accidents. One for 4k to repair the front end from a slow bump into the back of a semi and one for $2,200 from a rear end collision. Both were fixed right and undetectable. Neither made it to the carfax and I received top trade value for it when I traded it for my 2017 Jeep. All insurance companies involved and the body shop said we don't report to carfax. I even got a diminished value payment on rear ended claim.
Moving on to my current Lexus, according to the carfax and previous owner receipts my LS460 was hit in the rear corner at 6,000 miles in 2007. It had rear suspension and body work done. I looked it over pretty good and could not tell anything was ever repaired and it had run for 78k more since that so I was unfazed and bought it without hesitation.
How satisfied were you with Diminished Value claim and who was Insurer.
I have a 2017 LX 570 that was rear ended in a parking lot when 10 days old. Other driver admitted fault to me, police who investigated and her Insurer GEICO. GEICO claimed accident was at least 40% my fault (I was pulling forward when she struck me in rear) and would not pay for my car. I filed complaint with State Ins Dept and GEICO now accepting responsibility and paying claim ( subrogated by my carrier Allstate) and now I have to file Diminished Value claim.
Trying to arrive at a value.
Old 08-03-17, 01:01 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by Kennyr44
I thought all insurance companies now reported accidents to carfax, especially $2000 and $4000 worth of damage or a report has to be reported to the state which carfax finds and uses. I have seen some cars with a carfax accident but no autocheck accident and some with a autocheck accident but no carfax accident.
Old 08-04-17, 03:44 AM
dunston
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See if you can get the police reports and find out exactly what the damage was. I personally stay away with anything that doesnt have OEM paint on it still. If its a parking lot fender bender, you will be ok, if airbags deployed think about how hard of an impact that was and all the electronics, sensors, doors, etc took a huge hit. I would stay away from that. If its salvage or rebuilt, avoid it al all costs, unless they are selling it for the same price of the money its worth in its weight in metal.
Old 08-04-17, 01:23 PM
Kennyr44
Lead Lap

Received 60 Likes on 50 Posts

Geico paid the claim. It was only 2k and the diminished value representative offered me $200 first and claimed it was just a bump. Not so because the frame was bent and had to be pulled out and my wife was injured pretty bad. See the trailer hitch took the whole impact so it didn't look like much from the outside. They seem to have levels of severity codes they assign to an accident that is predicated on the cost of the repair. I had my body shop e-mail an explanation that the frame was pulled and it was not just a bump. After that we settled on $500. The Geico medical representative was coding it low impact also and telling my wife she should not be hurt. Needless to say we lawyered up after her insults. I can assure you neither accident made it to the carfax because I was checking it religiously the whole time.
Old 03-08-19, 11:57 AM
diamente
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DarKnight
Every time I look for a car I look for one that has a clean Carfax history. With that said, there's no guarantee the car wasn't in an accident that wasn't reported to Carfax. I tend to focus more on the service history. As others have stated, get a pre-purchase inspection to give you some peace of mind.
Not only that, people can also wash or title clean their vehicle from salvage into clean title. Google how they do it. I don't really trust carfax. Detailed maintenance/repair record/inspection is what I look for but sellers don't have that.

Old 03-08-19, 12:37 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

If the accident is on the Carfax and then later you want to trade it in, be prepared to take a pretty good hit in value.

Last edited by jud149; 03-08-19 at 07:56 PM.