LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90

Search this Thread

Old 08-01-17, 12:18 PM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the info about the driver's seat. For me, the driver's seat and driving position is the big Achilles' Heel and most overlooked (by manufacturers) area in modern cars.
(Seats too low or hard or strangely sculpted or with bad hard edges that clip you under the legs. Or insufficient range of movement back/forward/up/down/angling. Just my rant here.)

Thanks again for all the details.
Old 08-01-17, 01:38 PM
Nospinzone

Received 423 Likes on 326 Posts

Sounds like an excellent deal. As time goes by please update this thread. You can do our long term test drive.

Congrats and I wish you good luck with your new car.
Old 08-01-17, 02:06 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

wonder what resell value will look like in 5 years
Old 08-01-17, 09:59 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

Congrats! I will anticipate your thoughts over time as that's a very likely replacement for my LS460 as well.

That lease is STUPID CHEAP! To put that in perspective, I paid $615 a month for my ES350 lease, and $700 a month for my GS350 lease. Your lease is $320 a month cheaper than my LS460 lease, and my lease was a great deal. I mean...how can you not choose that car at that number?!?

Im surprised your LS600 only had two memory settings, my LS460 has 3 for each front seat, I thought all LSs had 3 at least for the driver? My LS430 also had 3, LS400 had 2

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-01-17 at 10:06 PM.
Old 08-02-17, 06:05 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Congrats on the car, I think Hyundai really hit it out of the park with the G90.

As for long term reliability, etc, I find it funny sometimes that people around here even care about such a thing. There are very few members that drive their cars more than 15k a year on here, or keep them long enough to worry about it. I mean there's a few on here that drive 20-30k, and one guy who drives 50 plus, but other than that?? Not many. I used to talk to one guy about repairs, oil, etc...come to find our he only drove 5,000 miles a year! I was like...what do you care about oil and repairs for? Lol. People ride their skate boards more than that. I mean you're doing one oil change a year, and we're talking about coolant and tranny fluid? You'll never have to change yours.
Old 08-02-17, 07:12 AM
CJITTY
Lead Lap

Received 150 Likes on 112 Posts

As far as Luxury Sedans..G90 is top on my list. .fell in love with it at auto show. The features and design. Total win. I heard they new G90 is not far away which is supposed to be even more amazing. Congrats on your purchase and I'm following this thread for sure. One thing..too bad they do not have really any body kit options for the G90..even the Equus and Genesis models didn't have any..that I'm aware of. That G90 could really use a front lip in my opinion but the market just ain't there..perhaps it will down the road of these get really popular
Old 08-02-17, 07:59 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Received 228 Likes on 140 Posts

Originally Posted by lextout
wonder what resell value will look like in 5 years
I would expect the 5-year resale to be pretty terrible, like it is for most high-end luxury cars. For perspective, it looks like an average 2012 LS460 (5 years old) can be had for $22-26K today. That's about 30-35% of the original selling price.

Genesis has big plans for the next 5 years, with lavish stand-alone dealerships springing up in most major cities, and a total of 5 Genesis models planned (including an SUV). I'm hoping that the new showrooms, new models, and outstanding reviews we're seeing will help bring the Genesis resale value up in 5 years, but it's hard to tell.

That's why I'm happy to be leasing a Genesis G90 for such a great price... If the resale tanks, I walk away unscathed...
Old 08-02-17, 08:20 AM
riknchar
Instructor

I will say that the dealership experience for Genesis has room for improvement, at least here in Omaha. The only dealer allowed to sell the G90 at this time is a "plain Jane" Hyundai dealership that is not nearly as pleasant to visit as the beautiful new Lexus showroom. The salespeople have also not yet really made the leap to luxury-brand quality, in my mind.

Example: My salesman was unable to be reached for 5 hours on the day I was supposed to take delivery of my G90, which was starting to get on my nerves. When I finally tracked him down, he apologized and said he had 5 other deals to close that day. I asked him many of those deals were for $70k cars, and he just looked at me for a second, and then had a bit of an "A-hah" moment, and he started apologizing profusely. They are leasing Elantras for like $99 a month, and I'm sure that was what was keeping him busy.

On the plus side, my salesman is doing everything he can to make sure I don't have to go anywhere near the dealership myself. He delivered my new car directly to my office with all paperwork in hand. When I discovered (later the same day) a tiny dent (almost imperceptible) near the gas cap cover, he immediately offered to come pick the car up and drop off a loaner G90 so he could have his PDR guy fix the ding. The 3-years of free maintenance with valet service was definitely a factor in my decision to go with Genesis!
Old 08-02-17, 08:38 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,730 Likes on 1,956 Posts

So if you look at values, a 5 year old LS460 is worth about 35% of its new value, if the Equus is any example that figure will be true of the G90 at about 3 years. That's a substantial difference. But like you said, you leased so who cares?

The valet service is great.

Really think this may be my next car.

What colors did you get?

Last edited by SW17LS; 08-02-17 at 08:46 AM.
Old 08-02-17, 09:32 AM
rgs92
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I didn't previously think about the strategy that leasing a car provides protection from high depreciation for a car that is subject from that. So leasing may have a hidden advantage vs. buying.

A few years ago I sat in a few Equus's and really liked it, but then a year or so ago saw several of them (Certified ones!) going for $37K-$38K with, no kidding, a few *hundred* miles.
I sent a message to a few dealers about these, and got continuous calls for almost a year on particular Equus specimens like this (and similar Kia K900s), and they were still in stock after all that time.
These were essentially brand new cars that were priced originally in the mid-$60K range.

It worried me because I was seriously considering a new Equus back around 2012 at $62K from a dealer.
Old 08-02-17, 10:19 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 508 Likes on 385 Posts

We want pics!!
Old 08-02-17, 10:57 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by rgs92
I didn't previously think about the strategy that leasing a car provides protection from high depreciation for a car that is subject from that. So leasing may have a hidden advantage vs. buying.

A few years ago I sat in a few Equus's and really liked it, but then a year or so ago saw several of them (Certified ones!) going for $37K-$38K with, no kidding, a few *hundred* miles.
I sent a message to a few dealers about these, and got continuous calls for almost a year on particular Equus specimens like this (and similar Kia K900s), and they were still in stock after all that time.
These were essentially brand new cars that were priced originally in the mid-$60K range.

It worried me because I was seriously considering a new Equus back around 2012 at $62K from a dealer.
I initially had it in my head that I would be buying a 2014+ Equus. They do depreciate pretty badly, which makes the late-model low mileage specimens especially good values. I had found a 1-owner 2014 Equus Ultimate (5.0L V8, all the bells and whistles) with 10K miles for $34900 at a CarMax in Fort Worth TX. I even paid $299 to have it shipped to Omaha, since there really weren't any nice Equus cars to be found in Nebraska. Unfortunately, the specific one I had shipped in was not nearly as nice in person as it was in the photos (lots of paint chips/scrapes/etc. on the front end, typical CarMax lack of detailing). The car drove great, and I was pretty impressed by all the amenities. That's what drove me to test drive and ultimately lease the G90. The G90 had all the niceties of the Equus, but was quite a bit more upscale in the interior (to me). The leather was nicer, the huge central monitor screen was amazingly bright and crisp...

Leasing new technology cars and unproven luxury cars (like the Genesis) is definitely the way to go -- it puts all the depreciation risk on the leasing company.
Old 08-02-17, 10:59 AM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Congrats on the G90. They are very nice, I like them because they have a more traditional luxury interior with physical buttons for most functions instead of forcing you to use a annoying touchscreen or mouse control for most functions. I think luxury car interiors look nicer with more buttons as opposed to the trendy, plain, barren look with just a screen. The V8 option for not too much is nice too.
Old 08-02-17, 11:03 AM
riknchar
Instructor

Originally Posted by SW15LS
So if you look at values, a 5 year old LS460 is worth about 35% of its new value, if the Equus is any example that figure will be true of the G90 at about 3 years. That's a substantial difference. But like you said, you leased so who cares?

The valet service is great.

Really think this may be my next car.

What colors did you get?
I ended up with the Patagonia Blue exterior (kind of looks like a "Charcoal Blue") and the Ivory interior. Every car I've owned for the past 12 years has been light colored, because I have about a quarter mile of gravel to get to my house (10-acre property right outside town). My road is finally being paved as we speak, so I was able to get a dark car finally. It'll be tougher to keep looking clean than my silver LS600, but once my road is paved it should be fine.

Note that there really aren't very many G90s available yet, especially in the mid-west. I really would have preferred to get an Ultimate (with the 5.0L V8 and the more upscale rear seating package), but they were no where to be found. I would have probably waited on one, but my local dealer really went all-in to buy my business, and I wasn't sure that deal would last so I jumped on it. It's possible that the deals will get even better as we get closer to the end of the 2017 model year. The Lease rebates totaled $12,500 now though...
Old 08-02-17, 11:13 AM
JLAWS
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 163 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
We want pics!!
Yeah, Should have been included in the first post
Attached Thumbnails Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90-thisthreadisuselesswithoutpics.jpg  

Quick Reply: Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90