LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-17 | 09:55 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

The grill and lines are similar, especially with the new Audi's. Just pick up a Consumer Reports and you can see how well Audi, BMW, and Mercedes fair now. Considering Audi is ranked higher overall then Lexus I don't think they are anything to laugh at when it comes to owner satisfaction and good reliability. The 8 in all 4 engines offered is very well rated. I know it can be hard to let go of old days and old reps but it's just not the case anymore. Especially if you are going the CPO route. I would pick up a used A8 all day before a new G90. Less money and a lot more car. No other large sedan is as rewarding to drive in my opinion. Except the Panamera.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 10-30-17 at 10:05 AM.
Old 10-30-17 | 03:01 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Lexuslsguy
The grill and lines are similar, especially with the new Audi's. Just pick up a Consumer Reports and you can see how well Audi, BMW, and Mercedes fair now. Considering Audi is ranked higher overall then Lexus I don't think they are anything to laugh at when it comes to owner satisfaction and good reliability. The 8 in all 4 engines offered is very well rated. I know it can be hard to let go of old days and old reps but it's just not the case anymore. Especially if you are going the CPO route. I would pick up a used A8 all day before a new G90. Less money and a lot more car. No other large sedan is as rewarding to drive in my opinion. Except the Panamera.
Well just speaking for Audi I can tell you the rep I was talking with said the NEWER Audi's have come a long way - that the guys at the dealers aren't fixing them anymore, just maintenance, that they're all starting to get worried about their income now. But this same guy a few years ago told me that they were pretty reliable before, but now is claiming timing chains and rings are a big problem...that stuff hadn't started happening yet at the time a few years ago. So I'm a little skeptical still. As for BMW, the factory rep said they're absolutely garbage, total junk, a disgrace. Said the same thing five years ago...he said now they're even worse. I have no idea about Mercedes. But it's funny listening to a BMW guy tell you to stay away from the car, don't buy them.
Old 10-30-17 | 04:50 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Just pick up a Consumer Reports and you can see how well Audi, BMW, and Mercedes fair now.
?? Every reliability reference I see from CR still shows MB near the bottom of the list (26th out of 28 manufacturers), while BMW falls about mid-pack. That's not good. Audi indeed has climbed the list, but I'd still be gun-shy until I see a few years in. Conversely, KIA and Hyundai/Genesis still place far higher than ANY of the German brands except Audi.

Last edited by roadfrog; 10-30-17 at 04:53 PM.
Old 10-30-17 | 08:28 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a modern Audi, hey really have come a long way. As for a used A8 vs a new G90, nope. Ain’t buying no used cars.
Old 10-31-17 | 12:45 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Here is a little screen grab from the new CR. S550 has the worst predicted reliability.
Old 10-31-17 | 02:52 PM
comotiger
Pole Position

Here is a little screen grab from the new CR. S550 has the worst predicted reliability.
Mmm, the 2017 LS did not even make the list? That’s weird... I would guess it would fare well in these comparisons.
Old 10-31-17 | 02:59 PM
UZ214
Pole Position

that is a sick looking car
Originally Posted by
L8RSk8R;10018062

I don't do much driving in the G90. If I'm in it, I'm riding in the back seat
I have drivers that work for me and they all love the G90's seating.
They range from 5' 6" to 6' 4" and 140lbs to 240lbs.

No complaints from anyone yet.

I just picked up another 2014 Equus, with 29K miles. I could have purchased a new Continental, but the Equus is a better vehicle for my business. I will never buy another Continental in it's current form. My '71 pictured above. I have loved Lincolns for a long time Found the 71 on eBay about a year ago, had to get it.
Old 10-31-17 | 06:12 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Mmm, the 2017 LS did not even make the list? That’s weird... I would guess it would fare well in these comparisons.
<br /><br />Those lists were just for ratings "in general"....so driving satisfaction, braking, acceleration, etc. Reliability was only mentioned as a side-note. When you look at STRICTLY reliability, the Lexus's place at the top along with Toyota, Audi and (I believe), Porsche.
Old 11-01-17 | 10:31 AM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by roadfrog
<br /><br />Those lists were just for ratings "in general"....so driving satisfaction, braking, acceleration, etc. Reliability was only mentioned as a side-note. When you look at STRICTLY reliability, the Lexus's place at the top along with Toyota, Audi and (I believe), Porsche.
Newer 14 and up LS's have excellent reliability except in-car electronics. I would not be surprised if the LS500 makes the list next year.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 11-01-17 at 10:44 AM.
Old 11-01-17 | 01:36 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Originally Posted by SW15LS
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a modern Audi, hey really have come a long way. As for a used A8 vs a new G90, nope. Ain’t buying no used cars.
Yes the new Audi's are beautiful cars, they'd be a great choice if they really are improved. Personally I'm not willing to give it a chance and find out, but if a couple years from now reports are solid, I'm in.
Old 11-01-17 | 05:34 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

have excellent reliability except in-car electronics
As I recall, the reason for the lower rating on the electronics, was due to failure of ML amps.
Old 11-02-17 | 01:05 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

As I recall, the reason for the lower rating on the electronics, was due to failure of ML amps.
I believe the individual ratings also include owner satisfaction as well as ease if use. I could be wrong but the 460's infotainment system has never been raved about...
Old 11-02-17 | 01:10 PM
Lexuslsguy
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Doublebase
Yes the new Audi's are beautiful cars, they'd be a great choice if they really are improved. Personally I'm not willing to give it a chance and find out, but if a couple years from now reports are solid, I'm in.
I have put 14k miles on mine (71k miles now) in the past 11 months on terrible NJ / NYC roads and the only repair has been a failing passenger side motor mount. I have a CPO so I don't have exact numbers on cost. Cost me $85. Really the only advice I would say is to avoid the dealer if not under warranty. If you think Lexus dealers are expensive try an Audi or Mercedes... lol Probably would have been about $600 - $800 to replace at an independent mechanic.

Last edited by Lexuslsguy; 11-02-17 at 01:18 PM.
Old 11-03-17 | 04:14 AM
fb182
Rookie

I believe the individual ratings also include owner satisfaction as well as ease if use. I could be wrong but the 460's infotainment system has never been raved about...
Or perhaps it could have been the poor durability of the ML speakers. I've had to replace five and the subwoofer on mine in the last few months.
Old 11-04-17 | 08:31 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Thats the first I've ever heard about failure of the speakers...
The following users liked this post:
mckellyb (11-05-17)

Quick Reply: Out with 2008 LS600hL, in with 2017 Genesis G90