LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

45k miles oil analysis report - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum against Toyota full syn

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-17, 09:32 AM
satiger
Instructor

Received 90 Likes on 65 Posts
Default 45k miles oil analysis report - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum against Toyota full syn

I just received the engine oil analysis report on 0W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum oil.

Oil : 0W-20 Pennzoil Ultra Platinum full synthetic
Miles oil in : 5k
Car miles when oil drained : 45k
Filter : Toyota filter

The attached report shows both current and previous oil analysis which I did at 36K miles with Totoya full syn oil. As you can see from the report (also as I expected) Pennzoil out performed Toyota oil in all departments . Amazing oil, hope they come up with HM version of the same.

I could easily go past 5k interval with this oil. However, I will stick to 5k interval. Will continue to use this till 90k or so and then will switch with Mobile 1 HM full sync (if I keep till that ). On my other two cars, switched to Mobile 1 HM full sync after 90K miles, so far no oil leaks, no burning what's so ever ( ES with 289k, GX with 155k). Unless Pennzoil comes up with HM version of Ultra Platinum, will continue M1.

Previous oil analysis thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/790481-oil-analysis-report-12ls-36k-miles.html
Pennzoil Ultra Platinum thread : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-4th-gen-2007-2017/832296-pennzoil-ultra-platinum-5w-20-a.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
LS460 oil analysis 45k_II.pdf (4.79 MB, 530 views)
Old 08-03-17, 09:56 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

How does WIX compare to Blackstone? Recent info seems to poo-poo on Blackstone as being almost useless for accurate info.

Also, TGMO is famous for it's very high Moly. How did the Pennzoil compare? I can't open the file here at my work.
Old 08-03-17, 10:32 AM
satiger
Instructor

I can't speak for Backstone as I haven't used them. But for my two oil analysis, I used the same place thus the reference (base) line is same regardless of where it was performed.
Additives (ppm) : Pennzoil TGMO
Magnesium (Mg) 33 9
Calcium (Ca) 2385 2288
Barium (Ba) <1 <1
Phosphorus (P) 819 711
Zinc (Zn) 918 840
Molybdenum(Mo) 70 40
Boron (B) 85 32
Old 08-03-17, 10:59 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Running 10K on PUP and a Toyota filter. 1.5K in at this point and absolutely no consumption. 91K on the clock
Old 08-03-17, 01:47 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by satiger
I can't speak for Backstone as I haven't used them. But for my two oil analysis, I used the same place thus the reference (base) line is same regardless of where it was performed.
Magnesium (Mg) 33 9
Calcium (Ca) 2385 2288
Barium (Ba) <1 <1
Phosphorus (P) 819 711
Zinc (Zn) 918 840
Molybdenum(Mo) 70 40
Boron (B) 85 32
So the Moly on the Pennzoil was higher than TGMO? Again, I can't open the file. I know that TGMO is very high in moly which is a good thing.
Old 08-03-17, 05:04 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
So the Moly on the Pennzoil was higher than TGMO? Again, I can't open the file. I know that TGMO is very high in moly which is a good thing.
TGMO has since lowered their moly content, I think this happened a couple years ago. I find that most of these oil manufacturers change their formulas around every couple of years (and I'm not exactly certain it's to " improve" quality, rather than cost).
Old 08-03-17, 11:06 PM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by satiger
Magnesium (Mg) 33 9
Calcium (Ca) 2385 2288
Barium (Ba) <1 <1
Phosphorus (P) 819 711
Zinc (Zn) 918 840
Molybdenum(Mo) 70 40
Boron (B) 85 32
Is it a good thing to have high content of all those other metals and additives? I wonder what they all do. Are these free-floating atoms or do they form molecules and specific beneficial compounds? Does anyone have a sample of regular Mobil1's breakdown? I'm currently using just plain Mobile1 full synthetic and wondering if I should change (5K OCI), or just follow the old "if it ain't broken..." philosophy.
Old 08-04-17, 07:13 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
Is it a good thing to have high content of all those other metals and additives? I wonder what they all do. Are these free-floating atoms or do they form molecules and specific beneficial compounds? Does anyone have a sample of regular Mobil1's breakdown? I'm currently using just plain Mobile1 full synthetic and wondering if I should change (5K OCI), or just follow the old "if it ain't broken..." philosophy.
Moly is a good thing. It's the one element I'd be most concerned with. It's an anti-wear additive.

Last edited by roadfrog; 08-07-17 at 08:20 AM.
Old 08-04-17, 01:33 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

You can buy Moly additive separately and add it to your oil if you want more Moly in the oil.
Old 08-06-17, 05:16 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by FatherTo1
By no means I am a chemical guy, its best answered by some one with chemical knowledge/experience. However, I will try to provide some info what I know.

Two typical characteristics of and IC engine are temperature and pressure. On a working gas(petrol) engine, temperature can reach around 1000-1200 C and pressure can be up to 5Mpa. The combustion chamber has to deal with these two extremes.

Engine oil additives plays a vital role by providing;
  • Controlling chemical break down of engine oil at these extreme highs
  • Maintain the said viscosity throughout oils life span inside the engine
  • Maintains lubrication
  • And contamination control due to high temp/pressure burning process
Different chemical components meant to play different role in this process. A regular oil will serve its purpose for 3k oci. The one with proper additives helps maintain engine clean with no leaks in a long run. If one is planning to keep the car for long time, its best to invest in good quality engine oil (as well filter).

Same analogy goes with fuel (gas). I have mentioned that several times in the past in this forum (worked at a refinery for 10 years). Always get from Top Tier gas. Combines these two (good oil and gas), car's internal combustion and emission components will tend to run as designed with minimal components gets deposited internally.

For the records, I calculate gas mileage every time when I fill for my ES. Its currently averaging around 27.4 mpg (17 yrs old with 289k miles). I lost its original window stickers. So just did google search for originally advertised gas mileage, google search showing 26 mpg highway!.
Old 08-06-17, 08:20 AM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

^^I'm not a chemical guy either but one thing I've read is to not pay too much attention to the actual additive because a lot of them do similar things and the oil company determines what in conjunction with each other. I used to pay attention to moly - still do - but there are some pretty well known oils out there that hardly use it at all because they have other additives they use to perform the same tasks. Companies like Valvoline and Royal purple use more sodium base to provide the benefits of moly, along with other things. It's pretty interesting, and they are far from the only ones. TGMO used to high in moly but they have since changed their formula, you have to really watch these formulas because they change so frequently (and they don't tell you about it). I'd just suggest to buy a high quality synthetic that's on sale - I'm not brand specific but I always seem to be able to get my hands on Mobil 1 at incredible prices, I'm talking $2 a quart prices (because if their rebates). But I've used Valvoline, Castrol, house brands, TGMO...others. Never had a problem with any of them.
Old 08-07-17, 08:32 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

TGMO used to high in moly but they have since changed their formula, you have to really watch these formulas because they change so frequently (and they don't tell you about it).
Interesting. I wonder if this is very recent, as my Blackstone analysis showed a ton of moly still in the oil. I'm tempted to send a virgin sample of the TGMO oil to them for analysis. TGMO used to have up to 1000 ppm of moly. Whereas Mobil 1 was a fraction of that. Toyota used to make a big deal of the requirement of high moly in their oils. I know they use more titanium now.
Old 08-07-17, 09:08 AM
satiger
Instructor

Originally Posted by Doublebase
TGMO used to high in moly but they have since changed their formula, you have to really watch these formulas because they change so frequently (and they don't tell you about it).

Just curious know, how do you know Toyota changed/changes their oil additives/ingredients?. As such its a mystery to many who actually makes those TGMO for Toyota/Lexus. Many theories floats in the web world pointing to Mobile, Pennzoil etc. I personally haven't seen any official document / article from Toyota/Lexus stating their source...........
Old 08-07-17, 10:16 AM
Oliver Enterprises
Former Sponsor

Received 207 Likes on 158 Posts

Moly schmoly. Who cares about moly? Sorry, just had that stuck in my head. I care about moly just as much as any other guy!

Because my car came with an odd mileage count as to when to do the next oil change, I have been extending mine out to 6,000 miles to bring it to an even 5,000 mile count. So it is easy for me in my head to know when to prepare for and do an oil change. However, with as precise and conservative as this engine is, when I get to an even 40,000 miles on the clock (maybe next year ), unless I'm convinced otherwise, I'm going to 10k mile OCI's. With 9.1 quarts and being fully synthetic, this 5,000 mile OCI seems really unnecessary. My truck uses 15W-40 conventional and calls for 7,500 mile OCI's. It only uses about 1 quart more than the LS. And all I've ever ran is 15W-40 Valvoline Premium Blue (conventional). Not 1 issue.

I know Toyota, these 4.6L engines are conservative and robust. I feel like I'm wasting money dumping TGMO synthetic at 5,000 miles. At my 6,000 mile OCI's, the oil comes out looking really healthy. The eye-gauge says it's still very good oil.
Old 08-07-17, 10:26 AM
FatherTo1
Racer

Received 114 Likes on 94 Posts

Originally Posted by Oliver Enterprises
Moly schmoly. Who cares about moly? Sorry, just had that stuck in my head. I care about moly just as much as any other guy!

Because my car came with an odd mileage count as to when to do the next oil change, I have been extending mine out to 6,000 miles to bring it to an even 5,000 mile count. So it is easy for me in my head to know when to prepare for and do an oil change. However, with as precise and conservative as this engine is, when I get to an even 40,000 miles on the clock (maybe next year ), unless I'm convinced otherwise, I'm going to 10k mile OCI's. With 9.1 quarts and being fully synthetic, this 5,000 mile OCI seems really unnecessary. My truck uses 15W-40 conventional and calls for 7,500 mile OCI's. It only uses about 1 quart more than the LS. And all I've ever ran is 15W-40 Valvoline Premium Blue (conventional). Not 1 issue.

I know Toyota, these 4.6L engines are conservative and robust. I feel like I'm wasting money dumping TGMO synthetic at 5,000 miles. At my 6,000 mile OCI's, the oil comes out looking really healthy. The eye-gauge says it's still very good oil.
The reason I go with 5K OCI is partly to allow me some buffer. It doesn't happen often but there have probably been 3-4x when I got too busy during a patch of life and didn't change the oil on a Sienna until 8K miles when I intended to do it at 5K. Based in my records, 8K is the longest I've gone between oil changes and I'm actually more concerned about the performance of the oil filter holding up during long OCI. Filters are just paper, right? I have considered going to 7.5K OCI because the oil still looks kind of golden, but I fear I may get too busy and then won't get to it until 10K and the filter will have really been in bad shape (possibly).

I started with Mobil1 full synthetic and haven't tried anything for decades, lol. Im not averse to trying something new but also am afraid to mess up a good track record. At 5K OCI, the oil looks like it could easily go to 7.5K. At 8K I think it looked due for a change in the previous Sienna we had, but full synthetic never looked as black as the conventional Castro I used in our 1991 Accord decades ago. I remember draining oil from that 2.2L after 3K miles and every time it was tar black and a little clumpy. Not fully sludge but it definitely was black and burnt. I don't want to get to that point with any of our current vehicles. At the same time, engine and oil technology is much better than it was in the 1990s. Filters still seem the same to me though. Part of me wants to switch to 7.5K OCI but I think I'll stick to 5K for now due to paranoia and the belief that "if it ain't broke...".

Last edited by FatherTo1; 08-07-17 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: 45k miles oil analysis report - Pennzoil Ultra Platinum against Toyota full syn