LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Hesitation after oil change. Maybe solved?!?

Search this Thread

Old 04-19-18, 02:11 PM
djkneekap
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Not loving my LS

Ever since my last oil change a few months/a few thousand miles ago, I've been having the acceleration issue intermittently on my '07. Sometimes, it'll be gone for a week then it'll come back. It came back yesterday on my way home from work. Punch the gas and it's like it's the horsepower is cut in half. It is EXTREMELY frustrating. But kinda like the saying goes, "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas". I haven't tried roadfrog's suggestion of an oil treatment yet (waiting until my next oil change but that may come early) or ECU update at the dealer. I hate to spend the money on the update and it not work. I've heard mixed reviews. I'm considering selling the car and there is no way it can be sold with this issue! As far as I know, the car has always ran full synthetic . Does anyone have a definitive solution?
Old 04-19-18, 03:49 PM
UDel
Lexus Fanatic

Received 296 Likes on 223 Posts

Originally Posted by djkneekap
Ever since my last oil change a few months/a few thousand miles ago, I've been having the acceleration issue intermittently on my '07. Sometimes, it'll be gone for a week then it'll come back. It came back yesterday on my way home from work. Punch the gas and it's like it's the horsepower is cut in half. It is EXTREMELY frustrating. But kinda like the saying goes, "we've tried nothing and we're all out of ideas". I haven't tried roadfrog's suggestion of an oil treatment yet (waiting until my next oil change but that may come early) or ECU update at the dealer. I hate to spend the money on the update and it not work. I've heard mixed reviews. I'm considering selling the car and there is no way it can be sold with this issue! As far as I know, the car has always ran full synthetic . Does anyone have a definitive solution?
I would contact Lexus corporate and complain, they should have figured this out by now. This is ridiculous and a safety hazard. Sounds like they don't even care about solving it.
Old 04-20-18, 12:20 PM
Ajls460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the same issue with hesitation but once i had my water pump and the radiator replace the problem stop been over 10k miles hesitation gone im not sure if it just went away on it own or because of the replacement
Old 04-20-18, 01:09 PM
norviewguy
Driver

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts

So I’m this OP for this post. Let me tell you about my experience. I got an oil change from the dealership and looked at the receipt only to find out that they also added an additive called Wynn oil conditioner. After this my hesitation started. I basically dogged my car on the interstate (drove it HARD in manual). The problem went away and hasn’t came back since. I’ve since gotten another oil change and refused the conditioner and my car has been running fine since.
Old 04-20-18, 07:57 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Does anyone have a definitive solution?
Define "definitive". It was definitive for ME. It also worked for others here.
Old 04-22-18, 07:04 PM
Ears
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
Again, this issue crops up IMMEDIATELY after an oil change. In my case, it was within a few blocks of driving and then disappeared after a few days or several hundred miles. Then, the next oil change later - hesitation. This happened to me 3 times on three oil changes, before I sorted it out.
If you don't mind, how did you end up sorting this out? i don't recall reading, and can't find it upon basic search.
Old 04-22-18, 07:15 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

Received 125 Likes on 98 Posts

This is just a theory...

Could it be because of air in the oil filter causing hesitation until oil makes to the filter?

Should oil filter be pre-filled before installation. I have heard of several people doing it on other cars.
Old 04-22-18, 07:38 PM
johnnyg66
Racer

Received 152 Likes on 130 Posts

Originally Posted by BMW7_LS430
This is just a theory...

Could it be because of air in the oil filter causing hesitation until oil makes to the filter?

Should oil filter be pre-filled before installation. I have heard of several people doing it on other cars.
Cannot do this on a LS. Its a replaceable cartridge.
The following users liked this post:
DrQuality (08-11-21)
Old 05-14-18, 06:38 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

I did my first oil change this weekend. I do not know when exactly previous owner changed oil/filter but based on oil light it must have been 5500 miles ago. Oil out was supposed to be Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. Filter was Mobile 1 filter. Nice with cartridge filter to be able to see the brand and condition.
I used to get diesel like sound before. After the oil change noise is almost gone. I have tried to hear it from the cabin but it is hardly there or maybe even gone completely.
I was prepared for some hesitation but there is none.
I used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 with K&N filter if that matters.
I thought I would share a positive experience with the oil change.

Only negative thing is that the filter drain cap just would not budge. Some more force and the whole filter housing come out. I tried getting that piece out later but it just wouldn't budge. PO must have really tightened it. I would have preferred to drain the oil before removing the housing but not end of the world.
Old 05-15-18, 06:06 AM
R Z
Pole Position

Received 344 Likes on 262 Posts

A couple of Lexus oil changes ago, when I drove home, I had no speed whatsoever. I could press the pedal down to the mat and get nothing. Turned the car around, went back, they did some update to the CPU or thereabouts (I'm not technical), and it drove fine afterwards. The biggest downfall from that day: Lexus washed my car. Had I not had the problem, I'd have been home before it rained.
Old 05-16-18, 08:47 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 509 Likes on 386 Posts

Originally Posted by Ears
If you don't mind, how did you end up sorting this out? i don't recall reading, and can't find it upon basic search.
Sorry for the VERY late reply

I did an oil system cleaning with Toyota's Engine Oil System Cleaner (which apparently isn't readily available in the US). My local dealer carries it. After using it according to directions, I replaced my oil with TGMO 0W20. This is now approx 4 years ago, and haven't had the issue since. FWIW, that's about 10 oil changes. Previous to this treatment, the issue appeared right after EVERY oil change and lasted about 500 miles before it cleared up. It provided for some very dangerous driving conditions - especially when turning across traffic. Almost got broad-sided a couple of times.
The following 2 users liked this post by roadfrog:
DrQuality (08-09-21), mathyewgt (11-18-20)
Old 05-19-18, 06:07 PM
BMW7_LS430
Instructor

I did my first oil change this weekend. I do not know when exactly previous owner changed oil/filter but based on oil light it must have been 5500 miles ago. Oil out was supposed to be Mobile 1 Full Synthetic. Filter was Mobile 1 filter. Nice with cartridge filter to be able to see the brand and condition.
I used to get diesel like sound before. After the oil change noise is almost gone. I have tried to hear it from the cabin but it is hardly there or maybe even gone completely.
I was prepared for some hesitation but there is none.
I used Pennzoil Platinum Full Synthetic 0W-20 with K&N filter if that matters.
I thought I would share a positive experience with the oil change.

Only negative thing is that the filter drain cap just would not budge. Some more force and the whole filter housing come out. I tried getting that piece out later but it just wouldn't budge. PO must have really tightened it. I would have preferred to drain the oil before removing the housing but not end of the world.
Diesel like sound came back again 100 miles after oil change. Not a big deal but it didn't go away. It is still very slight like before but I can hear it when stopped at a stoplight.
Old 05-21-18, 02:30 PM
sha4000
Lexus Test Driver

Received 339 Likes on 292 Posts

Diesel like sound came back again 100 miles after oil change. Not a big deal but it didn't go away. It is still very slight like before but I can hear it when stopped at a stoplight.
I just think these engines are noisy. I let my LS 400 run for a little while today since I don't drive it and you can barely hear it running unless you walk real close. My 460 sounds like a diesel too from 15 feet away. My GS is noisy also.

Last edited by sha4000; 05-21-18 at 04:16 PM.