LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Annoying trunk feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 12:13 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
Yes, and what if you are waiting with the car turned off for your wife who is buying shoes? (car in "P")
Then they can open any door, why are we specifically worried about the trunk? I would never sit anywhere with the car running and me inside with the doors unlocked. In P I lock them back.

Anyways I don't know if the opener works while the car is on.
Old 08-21-17, 12:28 PM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
Anyways I don't know if the opener works while the car is on.
No, it doesn't, just tested it. You need the fob nearby to open the trunk, even if the car is running (turned on)
Old 08-21-17, 12:38 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts

Originally Posted by 213374U
Gonna have to look for this button, don't think I've seen it and I've been annoyed a few times when I have to reach into my pocket for the FOB to open the trunk.
You can't miss it on my car - it almost feels like the padded area that you'd use to open a lift gate on an SUV (like a 4Runner, LX, etc). It's about a 2-3 inch wide padded area located directly under the "L" badge on the trunk.
The following users liked this post:
213374U (08-23-17)
Old 08-21-17, 12:41 PM
Higgie
Pit Crew

What i find annoying about the trunk is, i can open it with the fob, but i can't close it with the fob. A safety feature? Perhaps, but i can push the "close button" and walk away, in the meanwhile someone can get stuck, so this isn't working for me... Perhaps i can modify it so i can close it with the fob. I do know a lot about electronics.
Old 08-21-17, 12:50 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
What i find annoying about the trunk is, i can open it with the fob, but i can't close it with the fob. A safety feature? Perhaps, but i can push the "close button" and walk away, in the meanwhile someone can get stuck, so this isn't working for me... Perhaps i can modify it so i can close it with the fob. I do know a lot about electronics.
WOW talk about the possible lawsuits for that one. I am sure that is why that is not possible. Where you can walk away and not even looking at the car and shut the trunk...
Old 08-21-17, 12:56 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

I'm sure there are pinch protections
Old 08-21-17, 01:02 PM
Higgie
Pit Crew

I'll try it tomorrow with a pillow or something.
Old 08-21-17, 01:06 PM
DavidinCT
Racer

Received 200 Likes on 148 Posts

Now that you say that, Yea, I think there is... I put something in the trunk that filled it up, as soon as it started to close, it would not "pack it in" so it opened back up as soon as it noticed that there was resistance.

Still I bet the close feature is not be there because of part possibly failing and causing a arm to be chopped off or something...

On my old LS430 the shocks were gone, closing one time, it came down on something and broke it in pieces...it's a heavy trunk. I replaced the shocks the next day !
Old 08-21-17, 01:09 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DavidinCT
WOW talk about the possible lawsuits for that one. I am sure that is why that is not possible. Where you can walk away and not even looking at the car and shut the trunk...
Not sure, but I think there are minivans that the rear doors (sliding) can be closed with push of a button on the key fob. Doesn't seem much different to me from a "risk" perspective. I am 99% sure they have that feature on the Town & Country. I had one as a rental car once and remember messing with it- you could open and close the rear doors. Maybe even the rear gate as well.
Old 08-21-17, 02:12 PM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
Not sure, but I think there are minivans that the rear doors (sliding) can be closed with push of a button on the key fob. Doesn't seem much different to me from a "risk" perspective. I am 99% sure they have that feature on the Town & Country. I had one as a rental car once and remember messing with it- you could open and close the rear doors. Maybe even the rear gate as well.
I can confirm with my van this is true wth sliding doors and hatch.
Old 08-21-17, 02:22 PM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 337 Posts

Jrmckinley

A: Thanks for the thread

B: Thanks for letting me know about the pad above the LP. I did not know that it was there. I took the DW out and showed her where it is and what it does. It does not unlock the doors until you walk up and touch the door handle. Great info thanks again.

Dennis
Old 08-21-17, 03:17 PM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Jrmckinley

A: Thanks for the thread

B: Thanks for letting me know about the pad above the LP. I did not know that it was there. I took the DW out and showed her where it is and what it does. It does not unlock the doors until you walk up and touch the door handle. Great info thanks again.

Dennis
Awesome- glad my curiosity (or ignorance) helped someone out! Now if I can just remember to keep the key in my pocket when I'm holding something to put into the trunk...!
Old 08-21-17, 06:00 PM
RR601
Intermediate

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

I agree it was just a bad design but not a big deal.
Also I would rather have a road thief at a stop sign open my trunk than one of the doors .

Someone also said they changed it on the 2015.
so Lexus must agree with your complaint.
Also my 2003 4Runner allows you to open the hatch without a key with you and if the doors are unlocked.
So we know in 2003 it was a good idea and then again in 2015.
Old 08-21-17, 06:31 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by RR601
I agree it was just a bad design but not a big deal.
Also I would rather have a road thief at a stop sign open my trunk than one of the doors .
What some may forget is, if he tries to steal your car, he wont get far without the key in your pocket....purse, etc. He'll drive a block before it stops.

Fwiw...my trunk will not close if something gets caught.
Old 08-22-17, 04:58 AM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by roadfrog
What some may forget is, if he tries to steal your car, he wont get far without the key in your pocket....purse, etc. He'll drive a block before it stops.
Is that a Canadian thing, or an LS thing? I know ES's, GS.s and RX's (in the US) will run until you turn them off. You just get a key out of range message on the dash.

Quick Reply: Annoying trunk feature