LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Annoying trunk feature

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-17, 06:18 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Received 367 Likes on 252 Posts
Default Annoying trunk feature

Please let me know if I'm missing something here. I don't understand why my 460 (2010 LWB if it matters) needs to sense the key to open the trunk from outside of the vehicle if all other doors are unlocked. For example- if I have my car in my garage and all doors are unlocked but the key to the car is in the house, I'm constantly assuming I can just walk to the trunk, put my hand on the "button" and have the trunk open. Instead, I have to either have the key with me or open the trunk from inside of the car. This seems like an odd setting- if all of the doors are unlocked, shouldn't I be able to open the trunk? It really annoys me and happens all the time, including when the car is running and I have the key sitting in the car and am trying to load something in the trunk.

Thanks for any help.
Old 08-21-17, 06:48 AM
DJWLDW
Pole Position

Received 453 Likes on 337 Posts

Where does say anywhere that you can walk up and touch the trunk and it will open? That works for the doors when they are locked but it has never been the way on my 2010 LS 460L trunk. I either push the trunk button on the fob or hit the button inside.

Dennis
Old 08-21-17, 06:58 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

You don't need the key to open the trunk from the switch inside.
Old 08-21-17, 07:09 AM
enoch861
Pole Position

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by DJWLDW
Where does say anywhere that you can walk up and touch the trunk and it will open? That works for the doors when they are locked but it has never been the way on my 2010 LS 460L trunk. I either push the trunk button on the fob or hit the button inside.
Dennis
Originally Posted by jud149
You don't need the key to open the trunk from the switch inside.
You guys seem to have missed what he's saying. He was saying with all the doors unlocked, why can't he just use the button on the trunk to open it without needing the key.
And the answer is... That's just how it is. You need the key with you to open the trunk even if all the doors are unlocked for some reason. There is no way to turn off this behavior either as far as I can tell. It never really bothers me since I always have the key on me, but I can see how it can annoy other people. I guess you kind of just learn to live with it. To be fair other brands do kind of the same thing as well, not sure what the rationale behind it is.
Old 08-21-17, 07:20 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by enoch861
You guys seem to have missed what he's saying. He was saying with all the doors unlocked, why can't he just use the button on the trunk to open it without needing the key.
And the answer is... That's just how it is. You need the key with you to open the trunk even if all the doors are unlocked for some reason. There is no way to turn off this behavior either as far as I can tell. It never really bothers me since I always have the key on me, but I can see how it can annoy other people. I guess you kind of just learn to live with it. To be fair other brands do kind of the same thing as well, not sure what the rationale behind it is.
Nah, I didn't miss that. All I said was hit the switch inside the car which doesn't require key possession. Like you said, it is what it is.
Old 08-21-17, 09:09 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by DJWLDW

Dennis
If you have the key in your pocket you can push the "button" on the trunk (the padded part above the license plate) and the trunk will open. Prevents you from having to push the button on your key fob or the button inside of the car.
Old 08-21-17, 09:10 AM
jrmckinley
Pole Position

Originally Posted by enoch861
OK, I was hoping I was missing some type of setting where I could modify it. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-21-17, 10:30 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

FWIW, on my 2015 I can open the trunk from the button on the trunk lid when the doors are unlocked even if I don't have the key on my person.
Old 08-21-17, 10:33 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

My 5 cents, unable to open the trunk with the button on the trunk is logical. If you are waiting for say a stop-sign nobody (read thief) should be able to open your trunk with a simple push on the button.
Old 08-21-17, 10:36 AM
jud149
Advanced

Originally Posted by higgie
my 5 cents, unable to open the trunk with the button on the trunk is logical. If you are waiting for say a stop-sign nobody (read thief) should be able to open your trunk with a simple push on the button.
bingo!!!!!
Old 08-21-17, 10:47 AM
SW17LS
Lexus Fanatic

Received 2,715 Likes on 1,944 Posts

If you're waiting at a stop sign, your doors should be locked.
Old 08-21-17, 10:56 AM
Higgie
Pit Crew

Received 80 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by SW15LS
If you're waiting at a stop sign, your doors should be locked.
Yes, and what if you are waiting with the car turned off for your wife who is buying shoes? (car in "P")
Old 08-21-17, 11:40 AM
213374U
Lexus Test Driver

Received 138 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by jrmckinley
If you have the key in your pocket you can push the "button" on the trunk (the padded part above the license plate) and the trunk will open.
Gonna have to look for this button, don't think I've seen it and I've been annoyed a few times when I have to reach into my pocket for the FOB to open the trunk.
Old 08-21-17, 12:00 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 506 Likes on 384 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
My 5 cents, unable to open the trunk with the button on the trunk is logical. If you are waiting for say a stop-sign nobody (read thief) should be able to open your trunk with a simple push on the button.
This is exactly what I was going to post.
Old 08-21-17, 12:03 PM
Mike728
Lead Lap

Received 642 Likes on 482 Posts

Originally Posted by Higgie
Yes, and what if you are waiting with the car turned off for your wife who is buying shoes? (car in "P")
Hit the lock button.

Quick Reply: Annoying trunk feature