LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

Home link not working

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-17, 09:49 AM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by enoch861
I'll give this a shot and see what happens.
Their website says the opener is natively compatible with the LS but not the A6 which is interesting.
Yes, more than interesting....... I thought Homelink was Homelink???
Old 08-25-17, 12:10 PM
jmcraney

Received 272 Likes on 206 Posts

Here is some old information that I posted several years ago - it might help.

FAQ's about the Homelink Repeater Kit for LiftMaster Models 8360 & 8550

Facebook Post

FAQ about the Homelink® Repeater Kit

For use with Chamberlain, Sears Craftsman and LiftMaster garage door openers operating on Security+ 2.0™ radios

LiftMaster has created a new version of our remote control rolling code called Security+ 2.0. This new technology increases radio range and virtually eliminates interference. This code did not exist prior to 2011. HomeLink is manufactured by an automotive supplier that licenses our technology for use in vehicles. HomeLink now offers a "repeater kit" that allows any HomeLink-equipped vehicle from 2000 - present to communicate with any Security+ 2.0 garage door opener. Visit www.homelink.com and follow the steps to program your specific vehicle and garage door opener to determine if you need this repeater kit.

Why don't the new LiftMaster openers work with HomeLink vehicles made prior to 2007?

LiftMaster has created a new version of our remote control rolling code (Security+ 2.0™) that increases radio range and virtually eliminates interference. Older vehicles do not have this code in their HomeLink systems since it did not exist prior to 2007. This is not the first time that HomeLink has added new codes during the life of the product; the same situation existed back in the late 1990's, only on a much smaller scale since HomeLink was not as popular as it is today. This does mark the first time that HomeLink has developed a backwards-compatible solution in the form of the repeater kit, thus allowing older vehicles to operate with new technology. Homeowners and dealers should be pleased that the kit exists, as many electronic products made today are rarely backwards compatible!

Some newer vehicles (2008 and up) still do not have the new Security+ 2.0™ code in the HomeLink system. Why did this happen?

HomeLink is manufactured and designed by Johnson Controls, a large interior supplier to the automotive industry. Chamberlain (LiftMaster) gave Johnson Controls the new Security+ 2.0™ rolling code back in 2006 so they could add it to the HomeLink system in some vehicle models starting in late 2007. Many automotive companies chose not to immediately implement the new version of HomeLink for various reasons. In fact, some vehicles made in 2011 still do not have the new version. It may be that even within the same vehicle make, there are models that have the new HomeLink codes and in the same year, models that do not. This condition exists through no fault of Chamberlain or Johnson Controls; it was simply based on decisions at each automotive manufacturer to implement or delay the new version of HomeLink.

Which version of HomeLink is required and how can I determine which vehicles have it?

HomeLink version 4.0 or higher vehicles are equipped with Security+ 2.0™. While lists do exist that show vehicles equipped and model years affected, these remain the property of the auto manufacturers and Johnson Controls; we are not permitted to distribute these lists. For the most accurate information, it is recommended that a consumer or dealer contact HomeLink directly at 800-355-3515 to determine vehicle compatibility. It may be necessary to look at the manufacturing date on the vehicle body. Another method of determining compatibility is to try to program the vehicle to a Security+ 2.0 system; if the connection cannot be made after one or two attempts, a HomeLink Repeater kit should be installed to rectify the situation.

Will the HomeLink repeater kit resolve difficult radio interference problems when used with a Security+ 2.0™ garage door opener?

Most likely, the answer is no. The HomeLink repeater uses 310 MHz signals, which may help reduce interference if there are problems at 315 or 390 MHz. Excessive interference between HomeLink in the vehicle and the HomeLink repeater kit may still create problems. Only the use of a Security+ 2.0™ garage door opener combined with either a Security+ 2.0™ transmitter or HomeLink vehicle transmitter v. 4.0 (or higher) will resolve difficult radio interference problems.

What happens to a HomeLink repeater when the power in the garage goes out?The HomeLink repeater kit runs on 110 volt AC power. If the power goes out, the repeater will not work. For openers with AC motors (non-battery backup models) this is not an issue, since the opener and repeater are both inoperable when power is lost. If the repeater kit is operating a new Security+ 2.0™ battery-backup equipped garage door opener, a Security+ 2.0™ remote transmitter will be required to open the door during a power outage. In areas where residential power loss is common or recurring, it is recommended that the homeowner keep a Security+ 2.0™ transmitter in the glove box of the vehicle to allow entry during a power outage. Of course, a battery backup Security+ 2.0™ opener can always be controlled from outside the garage with a Security+ 2.0™ keypad.

Why didn't the HomeLink repeater kit be designed to have a battery inside to allow operation of the repeater during a power failure?

The HomeLink repeater kit is a Johnson Controls branded product. Furthermore, it would be very costly to design a device that has a built-in battery that would retain power for hours or days in the event of a power failure. For those homeowners with a battery backup garage door opener, the more practical solution is for the vehicle owner to keep a spare Security+ 2.0™ remote in the glove box.

How many Security+ 2.0™ garage door openers can be programmed with a single HomeLink repeater kit?

The number of openers is virtually unlimited since the repeater is only acting as a “translator” to pass through commands. So there will be no problem programming one HomeLink repeater kit to multiple doors in a single garage as long as they are within range of the repeater kit mounted in the garage.

How many HomeLink buttons (including ones in different vehicles), can be programmed using a single HomeLink repeater kit?

The number of HomeLink buttons and vehicles are unlimited, just like the number of openers. One repeater kit is all that is needed for a garage, regardless of number of vehicles or garage door openers/doors.

What is the radio range of the HomeLink repeater kit?

The range of the repeater kit to the HomeLink transmitter in the vehicle will be the same as the range of a standard Security+ transmitter is today. The range of the Repeater kit to the Security+ 2.0™ garage door opener is the same as a Security+ 2.0™ remote to the opener.

What is included in the HomeLink repeater kit and how does it work?

The kit includes a plug-in 110 volt repeater and one single-button 310 MHz remote control. The repeater plugs into any outlet in the garage. The remote control is only used to “learn” the repeater code and frequency to the existing HomeLink buttons in the vehicle and will not communicate with the Security+ 2.0™ radio system in the garage door opener; Once HomeLink is programmed, the remote control will not operate the opener. It is recommended that the homeowner keep the single-button 310 MHz HomeLink remote control for future use with other vehicles if needed. For programming details, refer to the instructions included in the HomeLink repeater kit.

Why didn't this repeater kit release when the first new Security+ 2.0™ models released?

The HomeLink repeater kit was originally intended to be a Johnson Controls product only. After discussions with Johnson Controls, it was agreed that LiftMaster would have the ability to sell the product to support the LiftMaster business, thus helping HomeLink to quickly resolve customer problems during time of installation of a new Security+ 2.0™ garage door opener.

What about vehicles with Car2U transmitter systems?

Car2U is manufactured by Lear Corporation, a competitor of Johnson Controls. Car2U has never used the rolling

code of any model Sears, Chamberlain or LiftMaster remote control. Vehicles with a Car2U system are not compatible with any version of our rolling code. Lear Car2U can be identified by three LED lights, one above each button on the product. Consumers with a Lear Car2U should be directed to contact Lear for further assistance at 1-866-572-2728.

Will LiftMaster dealers be able to obtain the HomeLink repeater kit for free?

No, dealers will have to buy the kit from LiftMaster as the kit remains the intellectual property of Johnson Controls. Chamberlain and LiftMaster are only authorized agents allowed to resell the repeater kit.

What will HomeLink charge consumers for the repeater kit?

HomeLink has set a consumer price of $49.95, not including shipping. For vehicles within their three-year factory

warranty, HomeLink may offer the repeater kit for the cost of shipping only. This offer is subject to HomeLink approval. LiftMaster dealers will be able to buy the kit from LiftMaster, and resell it for the same price to the consumer as HomeLink. For the most accurate information, it is recommended that a consumer or dealer contact HomeLink directly at 1-800-355-3515 to determine vehicle compatibility.

Basic Steps to Program the HomeLink

1. Press and hold down the two outside buttons on the HomeLink in the vehicle.
  2. Release the HomeLink vehicle buttons when the indicator light begins to fl ash (after 20 seconds).
  3. Hold the new remote control 1-3" away from the HomeLink and keep the indicator light in view.
  4. Simultaneously press and hold the remote control button with the HomeLink button you want to program. DO NOT release any buttons until the next step is completed.
  5. The indicator light on the HomeLink will begin to flash slowly during the programming. When the indicator light begins to fl ash rapidly, release the remote control and HomeLink buttons.
  6. Test the HomeLink. Press and hold the programmed HomeLink button. If the indicator light remains on the programming was successful.
Old 08-25-17, 12:57 PM
sktn77a
Lead Lap

Received 317 Likes on 275 Posts

"HomeLink may offer the repeater kit for the cost of shipping only."

Interesting. I got mine directly from Chaimberlain. They did charge $7.00 for shipping and ~$0.50 for tax (but the repeater itself was free).
Old 06-21-21, 02:58 PM
CaliDon
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Poor Design and Customer Service

Thanks to all for the info on this thread. I bought a used 2008 ES350, and spent almost 2 hours trying to synch it with my Chamberlain garage door opener. I tried every combination of button reset, etc., and followed so many videos online and people giving their tips. I went on a chat window with Chamberlain support, and they confirmed I needed the repeater kit. I ordered one (they would not give it for free), and it costs about $34 with tax and delivery.

However, I am in high-tech consumer electronics, and I must say this is a total failure of technology and planning on their part. I brought this up to Chamberlain, who tried to blame the car manufacturers for not updating homelink. Seriously? It is the responsibility of the new device to be backward compatible, not the old devices to be able to update. The info pasted by jmcraney below shows the garage door lifter company trying to blame car manufacturers for a slow rollout. But that is only new cars. What about all of the existing cars? The fault lies with the garage door opener. Why isn't this "repeater" just built into the garage door opener so it works with all cars back to the year 2000? After all, their device is supposed to be opening the garage door for ALL cars, not just new ones!

I was also upset at wasting 2 hours of my time trying to get it work before finding out about their stupid design planning and customer service.

I have been carrying about a separate remote in my car (tucked into the sunglasses flip down) for 2 years, but finally gave in to order the repeater kit and will get it setup.