LS - 4th Gen (2007-2017) Discussion topics related to the current flagship models LS460, LS460L and LS600H

O2 sensor replacement

Search this Thread

Old 08-23-17, 12:18 PM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question O2 sensor replacement

I've got a high mileage 07, LS460 (156,000 miles) with a Bank 1 & 2 running rich code.
Service center says to replace the #2 O2 sensors both sides.
Checked youtube and found a video showing what the job is. For those who have never done it, it shows that you must remove the 2 front seats to get at the wiring harness connection.
Went out and bought a special socket for disconnecting the O2 sensor from the exhaust pipe. Doesn't work, not enough room to get the socket into the space.
First question.
Is there a special "short" socket made for Lexus?
Second question,
Instead of removing the front seats, can I just cut and solder the wires and make sure the soldered part is stuffed up into the interior of the car to keep it away from exhaust system heat, which may melt the solder joint.
I would appreciate any info from someone who has done this.
Don
Old 08-23-17, 02:19 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Received 507 Likes on 385 Posts

Wow, I never though it would be that involved. Personally, I would go to an exhaust shop and have them take a look, and see if there is a shortcut. According to Alldata DIY you do indeed need to remove the seats. As for the tool for removing the sensor, it's expensive....about 125-150 dollars. Here it is:

http://www.autotoolworld.com/OTC-092..._p_217188.html
Old 08-23-17, 03:16 PM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Just went on Ebay and got the socket for less than $10.00
Old 08-23-17, 05:15 PM
Doublebase
Pole Position

Received 355 Likes on 245 Posts

I would not solder those wires, any added resistance will throw off the readings to the computer, plus you open yourself up to corrosion.

I didn't realize you had to remove the seats to disconnect the harness, you can't get your hand under there without removing them? Or you can't just pull the harness out from the bottom?

Oh and I'd also be concerned that replacing the sensors won't fix the problem, seems strange that both banks are running rich, I'd blame that more on something else upstream. You could have misfires from bad plugs or coils, you could have a fuel injector leak, you could have a wiring problem to the coils. I just find it funny that both banks are rich, if it was just one maybe I'd condemn the O2 sensor, but both? I'd look into it a little further before I started replacing them, if for no other reason than it sounds like a pain to replace them.

Last edited by Doublebase; 08-23-17 at 05:19 PM.
Old 08-23-17, 05:55 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Originally Posted by don460
You gotta give us the link for that tool on Ebay MAN !!!
Old 08-23-17, 05:57 PM
fwhomeboy
Racer

Received 214 Likes on 180 Posts

Maybe it's this one?
http://www.ebay.com/itm/1-Pc-Car-Aut...pYrQKy&vxp=mtr
Old 08-23-17, 06:35 PM
Falbz
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Those sockets are available at a lot of places - even harbor freight. I'd just stick with Denso o2 sensors personally. Plug and play
Old 08-24-17, 04:20 AM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

You can rent such tools at AutoZone, etc., for $0., yes, that's free. Pay for the tool up front and receive a full refund on its return. Not sure if the Lexus requires something other than a basic O2 sensor tool, though. Main thing with these tools, other than proper socket size, is allowing the sensor wires to be outside the socket allowing you to get the socket on the sensor. That's the reason for the cut out portion of the socket.

Last edited by jud149; 08-24-17 at 04:58 AM.
Old 08-24-17, 07:54 AM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Did they specifically advertise it as fitting the LS sensor? Seems those for European vehicles are cheaper than Denso equipped cars? Not sure though.
Old 08-25-17, 08:04 PM
don460
Driver School Candidate

It was going to be a while before I got the special socket from China so I decided to do the job by cutting the wires. If I did that, I could use a "normal" socket to get the O2 sensor out.
I cut the wires of the new sensor long enough so that when I was through soldering the joints and shrink wrapping them, I could make sure the joints would end up inside the car.
All of the work went well, however, after resetting the "check engine & VSC" lights, the lights came back on after about 30 miles of driving.
So, I'm going to say, on my car, Bank 1&2, sensor 2 running rich, is NOT caused by bad O2 sensors.
My next stop will be to have the fuel injectors cleaned and checked.
Any other suggestions out there?
Thanks to all who have answered so far.
Old 08-25-17, 08:08 PM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by fwhomeboy
You gotta give us the link for that tool on Ebay MAN !!!
Yes, that looks like the one I ordered.
Old 08-25-17, 08:25 PM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Doublebase
I would not solder those wires, any added resistance will throw off the readings to the computer, plus you open yourself up to corrosion.

I didn't realize you had to remove the seats to disconnect the harness, you can't get your hand under there without removing them? Or you can't just pull the harness out from the bottom?

Oh and I'd also be concerned that replacing the sensors won't fix the problem, seems strange that both banks are running rich, I'd blame that more on something else upstream. You could have misfires from bad plugs or coils, you could have a fuel injector leak, you could have a wiring problem to the coils. I just find it funny that both banks are rich, if it was just one maybe I'd condemn the O2 sensor, but both? I'd look into it a little further before I started replacing them, if for no other reason than it sounds like a pain to replace them.
The wiring harness connector is under the carpet under the seat.
You really have to remove the seats. According to the Youtube video, you have to disconnect some of the seatbelts also. There is also seat heating and AC,
wiring for the power seat, and possibly sensors for pre-tensioning the seat belts.
In short, there is probably no way they could have made this simple job any harder. I can only imagine what the dealer would charge.
Cheers,
Don
Old 09-01-17, 11:55 AM
don460
Driver School Candidate

Smile O2 Sensor Replacement

Just a follow-up on my sensor replacement.
Initially, the first ride after replacing both O2 sensors, the same lights as before came on after driving the car for about 10 minutes.
After the second reset, the lights have remained off, after about 100 miles of driving.
I am hoping I've solved my problem.
Old 09-01-17, 05:33 PM
jud149
Advanced

Received 144 Likes on 110 Posts

Just a follow-up on my sensor replacement.
Initially, the first ride after replacing both O2 sensors, the same lights as before came on after driving the car for about 10 minutes.
After the second reset, the lights have remained off, after about 100 miles of driving.
I am hoping I've solved my problem.
Did you end up removing both seats? If so, how tough was the job and how long did the entire job take?
Old 09-01-17, 07:25 PM
roadfrog
Lexus Fanatic

Agree with Jud....please follow up

Quick Reply: O2 sensor replacement